You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Woodruff and the Schnibble, some tips for Windows XP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
Default Woodruff and the Schnibble, some tips for Windows XP

Woodruff and the Schnibble might be described as the fourth game of the Gobliiins series, although beyond the graphics, the games have nothing in common. It's still a hillarious game, both crazy and uncommonly bizarre. It seems to target adults rather than children because the game is filled with mature themes and jokes only an adult would understand.

Starting Woodruff and the Schnibble is not the easiest thing to do. The game was obviously built for Windows 3.11 which might mean alot of hassle. Unless you want to mess with an emulator (and I actually do not know any that fully work with Windows 3.11) you need to get it running in windows. Luckily, it's not impossible.

All the following is for Windows XP. The same stuff might work for Windows 2000. Windows 95/98 and ME works differently so the following might not apply at all.

First things first, rightclick on your desktop, select "Properties", click "Settings", "Advanced" and now the tab "Adapter".
Click on "List All Modes..." and select "640x480, 256 Colors, 85 Hertz" and click "OK" and "APPLY". A small box might appear to ask you if you want to keep the setting, click "OK". If you do this, the game will run in the right resolution. If you do not, the game will be extremely small. If you like to have a tidy arrangement of icons on your desktop, this will mess it up. Nothing to do about that.
You have to set your resolution back once you are done. Rightclick on your desktop, select "Properties", click "Settings". Increase your Screen Resolution. If the bottom of your window is covered by your taskbar, just press "Enter" on your keyboard.

When you start the game you might get an error with "System Warning" "WinG need to be installed on you system !".

From Microsoft's Website:
"WinG (pronounced "Win Gee") is an optimized library designed to enable these high-performance graphics techniques under Windows version 3.x, Win32s, Windows NT version 3.5, Windows 95, and future Windows releases."

Contrary to the warning, however, WinG is not actually required to play the game, so just click ok.

If you get a second warning "WARNING!" "It miss **** Kbytes of memory ! Some visual or sound effects will not occur. Do you want to continue ?" you have started to get some problems. Click no (if you start the game it will disable stuff and rob you from the experience).
First thing you can try is to actually try to start the game again a few times. This might sound silly, but I have been able to start the game with no additional hassle by just trying to restart it 5-10 times. You will note that the amount of memory missing might change everytime you restart.

If you tried ten times or more and still get the same error, here's some hints how you can free up memory. Even after this, you might still have to restart the game a few times to actually get it to run.

Find and install a software that can recover ram. I use Cacheman XP that can be found here: http://www.outertech.com

Close down all programs you have started. Pay extra notice to your taskbar tray (bottom right corner).

Make a CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Windows Task Manager. Make sure you click End Process on all "rundll32.exe" you might find there.

Now use your Recover RAM utility to recover ram. In Cacheman you only need to rightclick the icon in the tray and select "Recover RAM".

Now start the game.

If it still fails, go through the first steps of this guide again. Maybe CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Windows Task Manager and find processes you can turn off. Pay extra notice to new "rundll32.exe". Also, many of Microsoft's programs such as WINWORD.EXE and OUTLOOK.EXE refuses to be shut down by simply exiting the program. Kill them.

Once you do not get the second warning, the game will start with no further notice and work perfectly.

A tip: To restart all your task tray processes quickly without hassle, log out from Windows XP and log on again.

Last edited by JemyM; 08-02-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #2

For some reason, when I install the game on Win98 or WinXP, it opens an empty folder in the Start->Programs menu, and I have to launch the game directly from the installation folder on the harddrive. Did it happen to you as well? It's weird.

By the way, the version I have is Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth (as opposed to The Bizzare Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble). Another characteristic of my version is that it doesn't contain WinG, I heard that some versions did contain it.