You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
As I said before, I have no problem with helping people get legal copies of their games working. But we can't allow links to no-CD cracks, so people who decide to go that route will have to find one themselves. Thanks for understanding.

-emily
I would NEVER share links to such sites over a forum thread, esp. not on this forum. I respect the rules, even when they should, sometimes, be 'bent'. I would NEVER send s.o. along that "route" and all the fuss that goes with it. I know and you know that sometimes this kind of action is REALLY the last resort, and taking it is no more unethical than it is for the developers of such 'problematic' (excuse my Greek here) game to not offer any support.
However, there is a bright side to look upon: if there were only perfect games (functionality-wise) around and eager developers offering help at request, what use would there be for forums like this? And what'd become of all the chit-chat?
Nik.-

(Tigger, in Winnie's "The Tigger Movie")
Old 04-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #42
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliant
However, there is a bright side to look upon: if there were only perfect games (functionality-wise) around and eager developers offering help at request, what use would there be for forums like this? And what'd become of all the chit-chat?
Nik.-
We'd spend a lot more time actually PLAYING games if that were the case! (But maybe then we'd run out of games to play!)

(By the way, I like your avatar!)
Old 04-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #43

Default General Troubleshooting

Ok, I've lost track with the posts on this thread! We got Widget off and running, but Maria and now Slstarbux are in a similar (?) situation... So, I'll try to make heads and tails with it. Bear with me, plz.

Fov has made some good suggestions, things to look for whenever in trouble (and I mean with any game). Screen resolution (800x600/16-bit is the safe setting), sound Harware Acceleration (DirectX setting), latest DirectX (version 9.0c now) never hurts, and updated drivers for both video and sound cards. One question that keeps popping up is: which card(s) do I have?
There are two ways to extract such information from your PC.
1. Start - Run... - dxdiag
Let it finish checking your system, browse through the tabs (esp. System, Display, Sound & Music) and look for problems. If this is all gibberish for you, save a report and attach it with your next post.
2. Download a program like EVEREST Home Edition (most magazines offer it on a monthly basis over here, it's free) and have your PC analysed to the last bit and byte. Again, attach (zipped) a report to your post.

Another common issue is with CD-/DVD-ROM drives. Generally, burners (-R) are more tolerating and forgiving to 'read-errors' (scratched disks, etc.) so you should first try these. Sometimes you get messages like 'insert disk 1' when you already have it inserted I've found the solution to be (Schism, Myst IV, XIII, more) this: eject 'disk 1', insert 'disk 2', press OK, wait until you get the same message, then swap again. During the Myst IV installation in particular I had to do it over and over again, as many as four times I think Another bad example is XIII, where I had to have *two* (out of four) disks inserted (one in each -ROM drive) at the same time before the game would launch (this bug was corrected via a patch, to do Ubi some just).

Last but not least are the driver-related problems. Once you find out the model and make of your card(s) you can look for the latest driver. Read the installation instructions VERY carefully, as sometimes you've got to completely remove the previous drivers.

These are all off the top of my head. I'll fill in as it hits me . Off to bed now
~valliant~

PS. People: DO NOT FORGET TO READ THE STICKY BY marek FIRST!!! BOTH PAGES!!! IT'S WELL WORTH IT

Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
We'd spend a lot more time actually PLAYING games if that were the case! (But maybe then we'd run out of games to play!)
Alas, if only we would EVER run out of games to play... We would then invent some new ones, perhaps even more challenging and involving.
Involving people, that is.
Nik.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
(By the way, I like your avatar!)
Thanks!

Old 04-21-2005, 02:41 AM   #45

I have tried all this renaming business. That won't work either. I still get the same error messgae. My computer should be compatible, its brand new and I have XP
Old 04-21-2005, 03:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by slstarbux
I have tried all this renaming business. That won't work either. I still get the same error messgae. My computer should be compatible, its brand new and I have XP
Valliant, you're jammin! i fixed it, thanks so much!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by slstarbux
Valliant, you're jammin! i fixed it, thanks so much!!!
Hurrrrray! Another one hits the... the... hits the...
Hmm... the road?

Anyway, I'm glad I could help out. Although I am not exactly certain what was it that helped you... Was it one of the things to do in my troubleshooter?
~valliant~

Old 07-08-2005, 06:08 AM   #48

Erm Yeah i Have A Problem with this game too, now i have read through like all of this stuff but it didnt work, i get a error half way through installing the 2nd disk and its says:
that File C:\Program File\BlackMirror\GFX2.GRP Is either corrupted or missing, now its not my drive and i even tried got a refund and tried again with another disk, is there anyway to download this file off the website or sumthing?, or do i have to get a no-crack cd thing?

Last edited by fov; 07-08-2005 at 06:45 AM. Reason: removed smiley from C: prompt
Old 07-08-2005, 06:45 AM   #49
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Azrael
i get a error half way through installing the 2nd disk and its says:
that File C:\Program File\BlackMirror\GFX2.GRP Is either corrupted or missing, now its not my drive and i even tried got a refund and tried again with another disk, is there anyway to download this file off the website or sumthing?, or do i have to get a no-crack cd thing?
A CD crack isn't going to help with that problem.

You've tried this with more than one copy of the disk and had the same problem? That's strange. Have you tried it on another computer?

The first thing I'd do is contact the publisher's tech support. If it's a North American (Adventure Company) release, you can send an email to tech support here.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #50

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Hmm, I was thinking about getting this game, but I've decided against it because of all the problems people had with it. Whether or not StarForce is causing the problem, I would probably be more likely to get this game if it didn't have copy protection on it. I just can't deal with all of this mess.

Yeah, yeah. I'm bumping an old thread.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #51
Roman5

It's a good game legolas, well worth playing if you liked nibiru, and you may have no problems with it at all. I bought it new a few weeks ago and it was cheap too, and everything worked fine. I have win XP pro. If you can find it cheap enough, (I paid ÂŁ9.99 which is about $18), then it's not such a financial loss if it all goes pear shaped. Then again, I don't know your money situation, that may be a lot to find if you're a student or something.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Yes, I'm a college student. And I don't really feel like finding out a game doesn't work after I buy it (which is why I am thrilled at adventures on Xbox; i.e. Still Life, Syberia I and II, Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall, Myst Revelation, etc.). I've seen Black Mirror for cheap (under $10), but still no thanks. But it seems more and more developers are moving away from Starforce now (hopefully), so it's all good.

Last edited by Legolas813; 09-16-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #53
Roman5

Yeah I understand.
I had a problem when I bought the syberia collection on one DVD. It wouldn't do a full install,( but managed a minimum install), because there was a problem extracting a cutscene of the zeppelin. I decided to extract the DVD onto the hardrive with an ISO tool. Everything went fine and I was able to do a full install, but when it asked for the disc check serial number, I typed it from the back of the manual in the box and it didn't recognise it. I then realised this was because of starforce3. So I couldn't play the game I bought when extracted to the hardrive because of the protection. Anyway, I cleaned the DVD with a tiny dab of toothpaste and rinsed with water, ( yes it works ), and finally managed a full install direct from the DVD. But because of starforce3, I had to have the DVD in the drive to play the game, because it asks you for the damn disc key every time you load the game. With a full install you'd expect never to have to type a serial number more than once.

Anyway, if anyone ever buys a game which has a fault, first try that cleaning method. Or if you know it doesn't have protection, try extracting the whole disc. I don't think I said anything that's not allowed, because this is all based on owning a legal copy.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #54

Default black mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliant
Hurrrrray! Another one hits the... the... hits the...
Hmm... the road?

Anyway, I'm glad I could help out. Although I am not exactly certain what was it that helped you... Was it one of the things to do in my troubleshooter?
~valliant~
when i go to run the game it says agds.exe has a problem and needs to close can any one help
Old 03-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #55

actually all problems with the pirated game should be solved by:
*snip* [We do not provide help with pirated games on this forum] *snip*

its a good thing though Maria you decided to buy the original one and not just use the easy way out of this. i salute you!

from the other hand, dont you just hate starforce???

oh and one more thing. about half life 2.

before the game was published, whenever you bought an ati graphics card, you would get a coupon that you could use in order to get an original copy of the game when it was released.
well read this mess! the game was released after 1 year i had got my at card.
i said, ok its time to get it. BUT, the really clever people of halflife wanted 4 damn pages of information in order to send it to me, and also i had to pay for postal charges, and i had to send them by mail, not email normal mail!, the reciept of the card! how on blazes was i supposed to have the reciept after a year?

but they offered me another chance. i could freely download the entire game from steem. how much is it? 3 gigabytes? aaahahahahahahahaha.... on my 56k modem? lol. not a chance. still have that coupon unused...

i just hate companies that overprotect games. mercy!

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 03-14-2006 at 04:27 PM. Reason: See bold text
Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Is this the same problem as I'm having? I've just started playing Black Mirror a couple of days ago. I've just gotten to chapter 2. But after the whole conversation with Det. Collier, my game crashes, kicking me back to Win XP. I've tried re-installing, but nothing works. Do I have to download a patch for this? If so from where?

I have this problen too. I don't know what to do. I have tried all the solutions but nothing works for me. If some one could post save after the whole conversation with Det.
Thanks...
And sorry my english...
And yes I have the orginal cd's...
Old 09-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #57
Lazy Bee

I can install the game without problem, but when I try to start it I first get a black screen and then a message that the there's something wrong with the agds.exe file.
I've read this thread through and checked if I was able to rename the files as suggested
Quote:
- copy majerk.chr to another folder (say \temp)
- rename mejerk.chr -> majerk.chr (in game folder)
- rename majerk.chr -> mejerk.chr (in \temp)
- copy the NEW mejerk.chr back to the game folder
But I can't find any file called mejerk.chr I've got one majerk.chr and a majer.chr
Perhaps my problem isn't the same at all as the one that can be fixed by renaming like mentioned above.

Please help!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #58

the very first time i tried opening it, i entered all the key codes and none worked now when i try opening the desktop shortcut, the orange Starforce box comes up, and reads "checking your disc" and when its about half way done it closes by itself and nothing happens, not even a black screen.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #59
Stalker of Britain

Hey Jelena-I was having the same problem as you, and reading everybody's advice gave me an idea, and now I can finally run "The Black Mirror". For us, just delete the majer.chr file, and it should work fine. I figured that out all by myself; I'm so proud! lol Thanks everyone for trying to help!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #60

hey guys,

I have a black-mirror-problem too...
the game wokrs very well, but there are big pink squares everywhere! so I just see the half pictures-.-
perhaps someone of you could help me, it would be great!