You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #21

It won't start at all!!!
When I run the game, my cd gets checked, the screen goes black and returns to windows

I saw the beginning on my brothers pc and it looks great, I want to play it
Old 04-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #22
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm sorry, I think your issue may have been lost in the shuffle. It's different from the other problems people have been experiencing.

This is from TAC's support pages:

Quote:
Problem
I get a black screen and the game goes back to desktop

Resolution
Adjust the color depth/resolution and refresh rate of your monitor. To adjust the color depth:
-Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
-Double-click Display to open the Display Properties window
-Click the Settings tab
-Adjust the color depth to 16 bit
-Adjust the resolution (screen size) to 800 x 600
-Click OK to verify the changes

To adjust refresh rate:
-Click Start -> Run
-Type dxdiag in the Open box and click OK
-Click the More Help tab and click the Override button
-Select Override Value and enter a value of 60
-Click OK
Please try this and let us know if it fixes the problem.

emily
Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #23

[QUOTE=fov]Ann - as a last ditch attempt, have you tried emailing TAC tech support?

How do I do that, where is the address,
have e-mailed 'gmxmedia' got a reply to close down all programs and install, did that , still the same.
Ann
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #24

Default 'AGDS illegal operation' - don't give up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget
I have resigned myself to never playing the game, I bought Black Mirror, installed it and cannot play it because all I get is a error message 'agds illegal operation' I am Win98se, have asked everywhere, no reply, and reading all your problems think I will put it in the bin!!!
Ann
Don't give up on this game because you'll be truly missing out on a GREAT title. Despite what reviews I've read on some sites and the various 'bugs' that... bug it, it's still worth playing -once you get it going that is
First things first:
- read about what AGDS is here:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/print.php?id=486

- tell us more about the error message: when do you get it, have you tried running it on another pc, with a different OS-different CPU. What CPU do you have? What graphics card? How much system memory? What DirectX version?

~valliant~

(Tigger, in Winnie's "The Tigger Movie")
Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #25
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
How do I do that, where is the address,
have e-mailed 'gmxmedia' got a reply to close down all programs and install, did that , still the same.
Oh, do you have a version published by GMX Media? The Adventure Company published this game in the United States and Canada. I'm not sure they'll be able to help you if you don't have their version of the game. In any case, you can email them through their website. The questions Valliant asked are good ones, too. If you can tell us more about your computer and exactly what you've done before getting this error, that may help us come up with a solution.

Valliant, thanks for linking to that interview. I had no idea what AGDS would stand for! You're probably right, it's something to do with the game engine.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I'm sorry, I think your issue may have been lost in the shuffle. It's different from the other problems people have been experiencing.

This is from TAC's support pages:

Please try this and let us know if it fixes the problem.

emily
I've tried it and when I think 'yes' he's going back to windows

I've uninstalled the game and tried reinstalling it but at the end of cd 2 there's an error: fault with copying file I/O error 23 it says?!?

I'll keep trying but
Old 04-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #27
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria
I've uninstalled the game and tried reinstalling it but at the end of cd 2 there's an error: fault with copying file I/O error 23 it says?!?
Sounds like a 'cd' error, maybe there's a problem with your drive? (like being a burner instead of a reader, such things)
So there you go
Old 04-13-2005, 11:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliant
Don't give up on this game because you'll be truly missing out on a GREAT title. Despite what reviews I've read on some sites and the various 'bugs' that... bug it, it's still worth playing -once you get it going that is
First things first:
- read about what AGDS is here:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/print.php?id=486

- tell us more about the error message: when do you get it, have you tried running it on another pc, with a different OS-different CPU. What CPU do you have? What graphics card? How much system memory? What DirectX version?

~valliant~
The message comes up after the main screen comes on with cover picture, then when I click mouse anywhere it appears, have not tried on any other pc, can't really do that,
will try answer your questions,
CPU, do you mean Processor? Amd Atholon[tm]XP2400+ mmx 3DNow.
Memory, 480MB Ram
Direct X Version, DirectX6.1a

Not sure where to look for graphics card, but I have just played Sanitarium on here no trouble,

am gratful for your help, Ann
Old 04-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Sounds like a 'cd' error, maybe there's a problem with your drive? (like being a burner instead of a reader, such things)
That's it than, my other drive is out of order...thanks for all the help anyway
Old 04-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #30

Quote:
That's it than, my other drive is out of order...thanks for all the help anyway
But with other games no problem, hmm
Old 04-14-2005, 07:02 AM   #31
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
will try answer your questions,
CPU, do you mean Processor? Amd Atholon[tm]XP2400+ mmx 3DNow.
Memory, 480MB Ram
Direct X Version, DirectX6.1a
DirectX 6.1a?! That's very old. This game requires DirectX 7.1 (which is also pretty old). Update your DirectX, that's probably the problem. I think the most recent version is DirectX 9c.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
DirectX 6.1a?! That's very old. This game requires DirectX 7.1 (which is also pretty old). Update your DirectX, that's probably the problem. I think the most recent version is DirectX 9c.
Have just download DirectX9, but Tec Support said it could also be my Vidio and Sound Card, am waiting to find out how to tell which ones I have, not sure where to look,
Ann
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #33
fov
Rattenmonster

I can't tell you how to find that on win98. If no one has answered by the time I get home tonight, I'll check on my older computer that's running win98.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I can't tell you how to find that on win98. If no one has answered by the time I get home tonight, I'll check on my older computer that's running win98.
I've just tried it and it's working
All i need now is to go find the how all the controls work, and a descent walk through, I am happy now, thanks all, i shall still be needing your help, I except.
Ann
Old 04-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #35
fov
Rattenmonster

Woohoo! I'm so glad we at least got ONE of you up and running!

Enjoy the game, finally!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #36

Default Cant even start

I can't even get the game started on my computer. It keeps showing an error off "insert original disk" but disk 1 is already inserted. this is messed up
Old 04-19-2005, 04:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by slstarbux
I can't even get the game started on my computer. It keeps showing an error off "insert original disk" but disk 1 is already inserted. this is messed up
I expect you're running an ORIGINAL version of the game?
As *fov* already pointed out, you won't find support for pirated games here -not officially at least.

...Off the record however, look for a previous post of mine describing the renaming of two files in the installation folder of the game
~valliant~

Old 04-19-2005, 04:11 AM   #38

Quote:
But with other games no problem, hmm
Perhaps you could try backing up (i.e. making a copy of) your 'faulty' CD, using a program like Alcohol 52% or CloneCD. Then try creating an 'image CD-ROM' (using Alcohol again, or Virtual Drive) and 'mount' the backed up CD files on the image drive. Maybe, I say maybe, this would solve it.
~valliant~

P.S. (off the record/subject to fov-sensorship)
If you successfully get through the backup process and get an "insert CD 1" message (or similar) upon launching, find a 'no-CD crack' and be done with it.
'Nuf is enough sometimes

Old 04-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliant
I expect you're running an ORIGINAL version of the game?
As *fov* already pointed out, you won't find support for pirated games here -not officially at least.

...Off the record however, look for a previous post of mine describing the renaming of two files in the installation folder of the game
~valliant~

I AM running the original version
Old 04-20-2005, 09:33 AM   #40
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slstarbux
Welcome to the forum.

If you have more than one CD drive, have you tried putting the disk in the other drive?

Have you tried this:

Quote:
- copy majerk.chr to another folder (say \temp)
- rename mejerk.chr -> majerk.chr (in game folder)
- rename majerk.chr -> mejerk.chr (in \temp)
- copy the NEW mejerk.chr back to the game folder
Let us know if you have already tried these things and if they worked or not. It would also help to know some things about your computer - what operating system you have, etc.

Quote:
P.S. (off the record/subject to fov-sensorship)
If you successfully get through the backup process and get an "insert CD 1" message (or similar) upon launching, find a 'no-CD crack' and be done with it.
'Nuf is enough sometimes

As I said before, I have no problem with helping people get legal copies of their games working. But we can't allow links to no-CD cracks, so people who decide to go that route will have to find one themselves. Thanks for understanding.

-emily