You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems The Operative: No One Lives Forever sound problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #1

Default The Operative: No One Lives Forever sound problems.

Hey this is Zack, and I am having a sound problem on the opening movie sequence of The Operative: No One Lives Forever, which was made in 2000. The music does not sound right to me. It's coming out sounding like the music for those old games that were made for DOS. There's also a blaring sound coming through like someone's blowing a horn non-stop. I've gone onto Vivendi Universal Games' Website, because they've taken over Sierra Games now, and have found out that they only have the games' sequel: No One Lives Forever 2 in their directory, and not the original game. Monolith, the makers of the game don't seem to have a technical support page on their website too.

My computer has Windows XP on it, and I'm wondering if it doesn't support games that are 6 years old. Is there anything you can think of to help me on this problem? I'd really appreciate it if you could.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #2

Hi zack,

I'm not sure if you're using an audigy sound card if you are,this might help you:
"I discovered a solution last night to the NOLF music problem on an Audigy. Run DirectX Diagnostics (dxdiag.exe), click on the Music tab, and disable "Default Port Acceleration". This will force the DirectX to use a software port instead of a hardware port for the MIDI music. Then run NOLF, and see what you think. I think you'll like the results. Another benefit of this fix is that the music volume slider under the Sound menu now works where it didn't before.

This fix will probably work on an Audigy 2 as well, but I don't own one, so I can't be sure." This is from another from btw.Hope that helps.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #3

If that fix for Audigy cards doesn't work, try looking here:
http://www.noonelivesforever.com/faq/
Old 06-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciphi
Hi zack,

I'm not sure if you're using an audigy sound card if you are,this might help you:
"I discovered a solution last night to the NOLF music problem on an Audigy. Run DirectX Diagnostics (dxdiag.exe), click on the Music tab, and disable "Default Port Acceleration". This will force the DirectX to use a software port instead of a hardware port for the MIDI music. Then run NOLF, and see what you think. I think you'll like the results. Another benefit of this fix is that the music volume slider under the Sound menu now works where it didn't before.

This fix will probably work on an Audigy 2 as well, but I don't own one, so I can't be sure." This is from another from btw.Hope that helps.
Hi sciphi,

Your suggestion worked. I own a sound blaster Audigy 2, and the music is fine now. Thanks for your help.