You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane
Default Problem with Grim Fandango.

Awh man. Everytime I play Grim Fandango, about 4-15 minutes in, a loud static sound will come in and I'm no longer able to hear the music, voices, or sound. The only solution I've found is to restart the computer and boot back up the game only to play for another 4-15 minutes. It makes the game completely unplayable, and it's really starting it getting my nerves considering I having been able to get anywhere in the game because of it.
I really don't want to be restarting the computer over and over just to get through a couple of lines of dialogue.

I've read up on everything I could and I still can't seem to get it to work. The only thing I haven't tried is turning off the hyperthreading, but I don't know any of the commands.

I'm running it on Windows 98, so it's not a compatibility problem. The computer I have is a iMac G5, though I seriously doubt that will make a difference.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Ummm.... I think this is a game that does require you to turn off hyperthreading, so that could be the problem. Unfortunately I have no idea how you would do it, with your setup.

There is a patch for Grim Fandango. Have you applied it?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 AM   #3
Fire Dragon/Pisces

Grim Fandango doesn't like modern hardware, that's a fact.
If you have installed Win98 on your Mac NATIVELY (it is not emulated) then you have the same problems a normal modern PC user would have.

In this case it is NOT hyperthreading; simply because Win98 does not know it and doesn't care about it - if your CPU ID in BIOS shows less than 4 units, these older opsyses won't complain and work properly (including OS/2). HP is only an issue when it is working; ie. under XP, 2003, OS X 10.4 etc.

What's problematic is hardware acceleration. Both video and audio. Grim F. is a DX5 game, hastily released = buggy like hell -> do get the patch!!!

ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/gfupd101.exe

You have problems with audio acceleration and buffering. If my memory serves, you can reduce DX audio acceleration to basic level. Try that! You can also try replacing your audio chip drivers for a more compatible one.

Moreover, if you haven't done so yet, look up all other GF threads in this forum (you'll find plenty) discussing GF (for PC) compatibility issues, those will help too.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jolaes; 01-12-2006 at 03:33 AM.