You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #1

Default Installing KQ Collection on Win 98

I recieved a used KQ collection for christmas and tried installing it on my Win 98 PC. When I begin the installation process it cannot recognize the sound card. Then when it checks the cd rom speed it crashes. It doesn't freeze the computer, it just stops and closes out. Can this be fixed or is the disk defective? FYI, I'm extremely computer illiterate. If anyone has any advise thanks for your help
Old 01-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #2

Which collection is it? Does it include KQ7?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

You may be able to bypass those tests and install the games manually. Try using these steps:

1) Copy the whole folder for the game you're installing (say KQ1) into C:\Sierra. (If that directory doesn't already exist, make it yourself.)

2) Open that folder and run _INSTALL.BAT. (This is NOT the same as INSTALL.BAT. Run the one that starts with an underscore.) Don't worry about the stuff that displays really quickly in the DOS box, as far as I can tell it's not important.

3) In your KQ1 folder, you should now have a file called KQ1.COM. Double click this to start the game. (Don't use the KQ1.BAT file, it will give you an error message that the game isn't installed.)

This should at least work for the DOS games (KQ1-4, and the DOS versions of KQ5 and KQ6). It will not work for the Windows versions of KQ5 and KQ6 (and KQ7, if it's on your collection), because those install differently. To install the Windows versions of those games, try just going into the game's folder on the CD and double-clicking setup.exe.