You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 05:25 AM   #1

Default Ugly bug in Faust

Thanks to a recent thread here, I have decided to play Faust (a game I'd never have thought of buying otherwise, because, you know, Cryo first-person game and all that). So I bought the DVD version and enjoyed it a lot (maybe I'll post more about it, after I've replayed it), BUT found an extremely annoying bug. At the end of the game, you have a choice to make, resulting in two different closing scenes. And the problem is that the audio for these two scenes (English voices --- haven't tested the others yet) has been exchanged. So, you get the video and subtitles from one scene, but the audio from the other one! This would merely be inconvenient elsewhere in the game, but for the ending sequence it's so damn frustrating! .

I've tried copying the files to my HD and exchanging the names of the two problematic files (#1505 is the 'bad' sequence, and #1506 the 'good' one), but that exchanges both the video and the audio, therefore not solving the problem. It seems that the subtitles are stored separately ( 1505.DIA and 1506.DIA in the A05S03\DIA\ENG\ folder), while the video and the audio (for all languages?) seem to be stored together in one file ( 1505.CI2 and 1506.CI2 in the A05S03\PLA\ folder).

That leaves me at a loss as to what I could do about it. I can't believe such a huge problem hasn't been noticed before, so maybe someone knows a solution? Please say you do, this is so anticlimactic.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #2

Did some more tests, and the problem occurs in all languages: French, German, Dutch, Italian, you name it!

I just can't believe they could release the game (or at least the DVD version, as I presume it didn't occur in the earlier CD versions) with that huge a bug!

Come on, people, help me! There's got to be something to be done! I don't know, give me a demon I can sell my soul to to get this thing to work properly!

Oh, this is so annoying. I'm gonna be in a terrible mood for a week.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

I just got my hands on the DVD version of this game. How annoying.

The problem sounds vaguely familiar. I'll poke around and see if I can find any info about it.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #4

I've had a very hard time finding anything about it on the Internet; the only things Google seems to know about are Jazz and Faust and DVDs of the play (cheaper than at the store next door, etc.).

I've emailed Arxel Tribe, but their website seems to have been 'under construction' for ages, so I don't have much hope. And Cryo are long since gone, of course.

Well, I'll keep searching, and post if anything turns up. I hope you're luckier than I.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #5

Another rather ugly bug in the DVD version, but one I know how to fix this time. I'll give the solution here, in case someone who needs it stumbles upon this thread with a search some time in the future.

The bug is this: The shoot-the-rabbit minigame (associated with the homunculus) doesn't work; more accurately, no image is displayed. This makes it unplayable, but that is largely irrelevant, as this minigame only serves to recharge the hint system.

Anyway, here's the fix: copy the whole (well, that's one file!) DATA\A07S02\NODE\ folder from the DVD to the installation folder. This folder contains the node file that the game needs to draw the area.

My theory as to how this problem appeared is this: since this minigame can be played in chapters 3-7, the game designers decided, for the CD version, to put the required files on the hard drive, instead of duplicating them on each CD. But, for the DVD version, that was not a problem anymore, so they stopped installing those files, but forgot to remove some command in the code that specifically told the game to fetch the files on the hard drive instead of the disc; therefore, the game looks for the node file on the hard drive (and only there!), and can't find it, resulting in the missing graphics. Cheers to Cryo for this clever piece of programming, and their thorough testing of the DVD version.

Oh, and that was also a good reason to bump that thread, in case somebody has an idea on the (much uglier) problem mentioned in the first post.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

A thought that popped into my head (this could be impossible, illegal? or weird):

Could someone who owns the CD version copy the dialogue files you need and send them to you so you can put them in the right place or can you move files to different spots? You've probably already thought of this and/or tried it since you are up on this kind of stuff more than me.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
A thought that popped into my head (this could be impossible, illegal? or weird):

Could someone who owns the CD version copy the dialogue files you need and send them to you so you can put them in the right place or can you move files to different spots? You've probably already thought of this and/or tried it since you are up on this kind of stuff more than me.
I've been thinking about that for some time, but it would probably be technically illegal (though not morally wrong, as what would anyone do with just a couple of videos without the rest of the game?), so I was waiting until fov started pulling her own hair out on the problem before suggesting anything like that.

Seriously, the problem is that the files needed contain the video and audio (in three languages for the DVD version, but English will be enough for me). There are two problems with that:
1) As I said, the DVD files contain three languages, whereas the CD files will only contain one; that may cause problems. But I tend not to think so (at least for the English version), as the game seems not to be very picky: if I replace the EN/FR/DE video with the IT/NL/whatever one from the other side of the DVD (it's a double-sided DVD, with the full game in 3 languages on one side, and the full game again in three other languages on the other side) and leave the game set up as English, it nicely plays the first audio track of the video, namely Italian. So this shouldn't be a problem.
2) Those files contain the video as well, and the two endings together weigh about 85 Mb. This can't really be transferred by e-mail. Of course, the editor of a certain website obviously owns the CD version, and a senior writer of that website wouldn't want to stumble upon the problem when she gets to playing the game, so maybe something could be arranged on the server of the said website... Not that I'm suggesting anything, of course.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
I've been thinking about that for some time, but it would probably be technically illegal (though not morally wrong, as what would anyone do with just a couple of videos without the rest of the game?), so I was waiting until fov started pulling her own hair out on the problem before suggesting anything like that.
I don't see what's wrong with that. I've sent files to people before in similar circumstances.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I never received my Faust in the mail. Odd. It should have been here by now.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #9
Dungeon Master

I pondered this solution and checked my CDs the day Kurufinwe started the topic, in fact. Unfortunately, even the filenames are completely different here. This may be caused by me having a localised version, though.

Of course, you'll probably have to learn Polish first to have any use for it, anyway.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I pondered this solution and checked my CDs the day Kurufinwe started the topic, in fact. Unfortunately, even the filenames are completely different here. This may be caused by me having a localised version, though.

Of course, you'll probably have to learn Polish first to have any use for it, anyway.
I hope it's just because it's the Polish version. Or maybe the files are the same, but with different names and folder structure.

Well, anyway, let's hope a good soul (no pun intended) with the English CD version turns up, and we'll see how the situation looks. Even if it looks different, maybe I'll be able to recognise something given the layout of the files ( tree /A /F in case somebody is interested).

And sorry about not speaking Polish. Give me eternal life, and I promise I'll learn it (and I mean that: studying lots of languages is really something I'd love to do; but, as it is, my plate is already full with German and Russian ).
Old 11-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #11
Dungeon Master

In case some English-version owner willing to help pops up, and the files on all CD versions had indeed had different names, does anything here look familiar?
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #12

Yup, I'm willing to bet those are the correct files. The names are different, but there are 13 of them and the file sizes match (taking into account that the DVD ones are a bit bigger because they contain 3 languages). If I'm not mistaken, the last three files should be the ones relating to the ending (in that order: Theodore's explanation, sign, refuse to sign --- the last two being those that are wrong in the DVD version).

You've already done much AFGNCAAP, but could I ask one more favour of you, to be sure? You should also have a a05s03\dia\pol folder, containing the subtitles, with file names matching those of the videos (plus several other files, for in-game speech). Those files can be opened with notepad or whatever text editor you prefer, and should settle the question (the two scenes start with "Come, Theodore, you don't have to see this, etc." and "I'm sorry, but I intend to reopen this park, etc.").

Thank you very much anyway.

Now, to find a nice person with the English CD version...
Old 11-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #13
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
You should also have a a05s03\dia\pol folder, containing the subtitles, with file names matching those of the videos (plus several other files, for in-game speech). Those files can be opened with notepad or whatever text editor you prefer, and should settle the question (the two scenes start with "Come, Theodore, you don't have to see this, etc." and "I'm sorry, but I intend to reopen this park, etc.").
You mean: "Chodź, Teodorze. Nie musisz tego widzieć..." and "Przykro mi, ale zamierzam ponownie otworzyć ten park."? Yes, you're right.

BTW, \dia folder is on the first CD, \pla folder on the fourth one.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
You mean: "Chodź, Teodorze. Nie musisz tego widzieć..." and "Przykro mi, ale zamierzam ponownie otworzyć ten park."? Yes, you're right.
YES!
Thank you again.

Quote:
BTW, \dia folder is on the first CD, \pla folder on the fourth one.
Oh, of course: the subtitles are among the installed files, and therefore on CD 1. I should have thought about that; silly me.

OK, now for the movie quote of the day:
Quote:
Help me, <insert your name here if you own the English CD version>, you're my only hope.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #15

I do have the 4-cd english release of Faust and I could probably help.

Just to make sure that I'm on the right track, in CD1, in the folder data\a05s03\dia\eng, I found the three subtitle files that you mention above.

In particular:

A15S01_E07M11_1.dia

Code:
0  #
 4017  Could someone tell me what game we're playing here?
 7097  I guess it's not the game of souls forecast.
 10177  Souls?
 11662  You know as well as I do that souls are beyond our jurisdiction.
 15513  What then?
 16447  Theodore?
 17437  Can you enlighten me?
 19307  You know I made a pact.
 20847  I wanted the park to be a success.
 23157  I still believe that this place has much to offer to the world.
 27337  It's getting cold out there.
 29317  And for that,# you sold your soul.
 32012  No. The price was somewhat higher than that.
 35037  Higher?
 35807  Theodore has agreed to replace me.
 38282  Is this another of your tricks,# demon?
 40482  Not at all.
 41967  Three thousand years spent in the company of men is a hell of a long time.
I snipped the rest of the text.

A15S01_E07M11_2.dia

Code:
0  Come, Theodore, come.
 2277  You don't have to see that...
 3872  Who is he talking to?
 5137  Strange fellow!
 6292  Well, congratulations!
 8217  Here is your check,# and Blueday is proud to offer you a lifetime pass to the future Bluedayland.
 15422  END
A15S01_E07M11_3.dia

Code:
0  I am sorry,# Sir, but I intend to reopen this park,
 4324  just like it used to be.
 5588  YES!
 6303  Sir, I really think you should re...
 9108  Out of this place NOW!
 12298  Having been an angel for a while didn't make it any easier to become a man again.
 16533  The choice was easy enough though.
 18678  Something had urged me from inside.
 21208  That little voice you hear sometimes inside your head.
I snipped the rest of the text.

In CD4, in the folder data\a05s03\pla\eng, the files are as the below screenshot.

Let me know which of these you would like to have.

You may also contact me at amerzone[AT]myrealbox[DOT]com. Anyway, I subscribed to this thread to get instant e-mail notifications.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

My Faust DVD arrived today!

Which means, if the files off the CD fix the problem Kurufinwe's having, I might be bothering you for them, too.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:18 PM   #17

Amerzone, thank you so much for helping here.

So the files I (I guess it's 'we' now) need are A15S01_E07M11_2.CI2 and A15S01_E07M11_3.CI2 from disc 4.

I don't know exactly how to perform the transfer for that kind of big files, it's not anything I've done before. I know there are things like foldershare, but it looks rather cumbersome. Maybe you have something in mind, or maybe somebody else has a suggestion (fov, you're probably more experienced with that kind of things?). I hope we can work something out.

And if all that indeed works, I'll write a short summary of what should be done, for future reference.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #18

I uploaded these two files to Streamload, where I have a paid account. I tried to compress them (zip, rar, uha), but there is no point since the size gain is meaningless.

They are hosted in the address

http://www.streamload.com/amerzone/faust

The pass is
Spoiler:
faust
Hope it works for you
Old 11-29-2005, 12:22 PM   #19

All right, I've got them, and... IT WORKS! Woohoo!

Amerzone, I love you!

Maybe you could let the files up for a few hours, so that fov can grab them?

Anyway, I want to make a few additional tests and then I'll post a short guide on getting the DVD version of Faust to work properly.

And I can go back to my b00kish signature, which is of course the best thing of the whole evening.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #20

Glad it works The files will be there for quite some time, no problem...