You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 05:40 AM   #1

Default Playing Discworld under Dosbox

Yo! Got Discworld and have it sort of running under Dosbox, however a few probs.
1.) When I play the game in full screen mode it tells me that it's an 'unknown mode'.
2.) I managed to get the sound working by running the 'sblaster' file before the game but there's nomusic.
3.) whenever i save game it never actually saves. I click on load and there's nothing there.

Surely somebody else has got this game working? Any help would be greatful, thanks ^^
Old 11-09-2005, 11:13 AM   #2

1) What's saying that? DOSBox or the game?
2) How have you set up the . . .

Oh, enough is enough! Why am I wasting my time writing all that? I've done it already far too many times.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #3

My monitor tells me that. Is there anyway to configure the size manualy? Stretch the screen like you can do on, say, Media player?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
Is there anyway to configure the size manualy?
Yes, there is. Read the manual. Read the comments in the config file. Read the DOSBox wiki (esp. the page about the aforementioned config file).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #5
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

TerraMax, when you say dosbox, you mean what exactly?

People have a tendency to call DOS mode a dosbox, while many of us think of DosBox, an emulator.

So lets go one step at the time... Where are you running Discworld from?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
TerraMax, when you say dosbox, you mean what exactly?

People have a tendency to call DOS mode a dosbox, while many of us think of DosBox, an emulator.

People are still using a dos mode?

I had no trouble setting DOSBOX for Discworld, myself, with the music and stuff... So it's doable.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 AM   #7
Grumpy & bitter man

Some people are keeping old machines around for sole purpose of runing the old DOS games.

As for the Discworld in Dosbox, yes, got it to work without any problems, minus the speed issues.
Same goes for Discworld2... game itself plays fine, while cutscenes are a bit too heavy for my rig to handle.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 AM   #8

I have got Discworld 1 + 2 running perfectly on windows ME without the use of DosBox.
Anyway we wont have to worry about this soon when it becomes available on ScummVm.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:03 AM   #9
Grumpy & bitter man

Well 'soon' can be very relative term... I wouldn't expect full support for them for another 6 months, maybe even more than that, if I were you.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #10

I'm using DOSbox. No music though. Games won't save. I'll try doing the screen size manually though.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #11

Terramax, you haven't answered VoodooFX's question. So, once again, please read my post here. And take it seriously. Everybody here is willing, even eager, to help, but nobody's going to be able to, unless you provide the required information.

If for some reason you don't want to do that, then read the documentation I mentioned earlier. I had no problem running Discworld under DOSBox, and seemingly neither did VoodooFX nor Ninth. So you should be able to figure it out by yourself, if that's what you prefer. But know that there are people willing to give help here, if you ask for it properly.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #12
Grumpy & bitter man

He did answer my question. He said he is using Dosbox.

Quote:
I'm using DOSbox. No music though.
But one of the problems he mentioned (can't save a game) reminds me of the time, when my friend had the same problem... and he was playing cd-ripped version. Which would also explain why Terramax can't hear any music.

So if that's the case with you Terramax, I think you'll have to either buy a full game or play the game through ...in one sitting.

It that's not the case... follow the Kurufinwe's guide and give us the information we need in order to help you further.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #13

Quote:
He did answer my question. He said he is using Dosbox.
No, he didn't:
Quote:
Anyway,

Quote:
But one of the problems he mentioned (can't save a game) reminds me of the time, when my friend had the same problem... and he was playing cd-ripped version. Which would also explain why Terramax can't hear any music.
He has voices (it's not clear here, but he said it more explicitly on the DOSBox forums. I doubt any CD-rip would include some hundred megs of voices but leave out the MIDI music. So he must be doing something wrong.

And the inability to save probably means that the game is badly configured and tries to save in a directory that is write-protected or even doesn't exist. So he must be doing something wrong here again.

I'm sure we could actually figure out what the problem is and find a solution with some guesswork from what we've got here. But I'm completely unwilling to waste time doing that, and will wait for further information.

Spoiler:
Though I bet it's just an improper installation, or possibly even no installation at all.

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 11-11-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Answer found to the second problem. I couldn't find a way of installing the game (apparently the installation program is on the floppy disc and I don't have a floppy drive) so I dragged the info from the CD into my old games folder. Do you think there's a way of creating a saved game file somewhere?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:06 AM   #15
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
I couldn't find a way of installing the game (apparently the installation program is on the floppy disc) so I dragged the info from the CD into my old games folder.
Never heard of such release being in existance.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 AM   #16

No installation, I knew it!

Anyway, copy the entire contents of the CD somewhere on your hard drive. Right-click on that folder (under Windows), Properties, uncheck "read-only", OK, say you want it applied to all subfolders, files, etc.

Then, under DOSBox, run setsound, choose Gravis Ultrasound for Audio (IO 240, IRQ 5, DMA 3 are the DOSBox defaults; or enter the appropriate settings if you've changed them yourself), and General MIDI for music. Then save the settings and run disc (or the game exe, dwb I think).

And that should be it. See how easier it is when you actually try and provide some information...?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:04 AM   #17
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
And that should be it. See how easier it is when you actually try and provide some information...?
Now, now, Kurufinwe... don't be so hard on him.
What some of us take for granted or common sense, can to others be close to the greatest discovery since invention of wheel.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Now, now, Kurufinwe... don't be so hard on him.
What some of us take for granted or common sense, can to others be close to the greatest discovery since invention of wheel.
I wasn't being hard on him. Not in that last post anyway.

I understand, and accept, that some people may know little about computers. I also understand, and accept, that some people are not interested in learning about computers, although I believe that it is necessary to learn a few things to use DOSBox, as DOS was an awfully complex and user-unfriendly thing. But that's not the point. The point is that it is important to ask for help in a proper fashion, if you want to achieve something. Actually, thinking what information may be relevant and looking at it is usually enough to make you solve the problem by yourself. And so I believe it's important, far beyond the field of computers, and so, yes, I am rubbing it in. But maybe that way it'll be remembered, and maybe Terramax will afterwards have a better approach to his problems and be able to find the solution himself, or at least ask for it in a way that'll make him receive the answer in a few minutes instead of several days. You know, it's like that thing about giving fish to a person and feeding him for one day, or teaching that person to fish and feeding him for life...

(Yes, that was the pedagogy manifesto of the day. See, I'm still young and innocent and actually still believe in all that! )
Old 11-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe

Then, under DOSBox, run setsound, choose Gravis Ultrasound for Audio (IO 240, IRQ 5, DMA 3 are the DOSBox defaults; or enter the appropriate settings if you've changed them yourself), and General MIDI for music. Then save the settings and run disc (or the game exe, dwb I think).
Setsound doesn't seem to exist on DW. Tells me illegal command if I type setsound.

I tried loading a sound file called PMIDPAK and it said this.

MIDI Sound Package - Copyright (c) 1993, John W. Ratcliff :v3.0
Miles Desigh Inc. MIDI music driver 'MIDPAK.ADV' not found.
Run SETM to define sound hardware.

I typed 'SETM' and 'SETMUSIC' but nothing happened but the illegal command.

P.S. Sorry I didn't give all info last time.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:25 AM   #20

This is all very odd. My version has the setsound programme, but not all those other things that you mention. No matter, we'll work it out.

In DOSBox, go to the folder where you've put all the contents of the CD. Then, type :
Code:
dir > blah.txt
This is going to create a text file called blah.txt (in the folder) listing all the contents of this folder. Please attach this file here.