You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default criminal intent demo

I can't get the Criminal Intent demo working. At first, when I loaded it, the graphics around the hotspots (like where you click Play, Options, etc. on the splash screen) were all screwed up, as were the subtitles. I updated my graphics drivers and that fixed the graphics problem. But now when I try to play the demo, I get the screen that has the information about the demo (looks like a piece of notebook paper) and I try to click Done at the bottom of the screen, but nothing happens. The game just hangs on this screen. I was able to get past this point when I had the older drivers but I don't want to roll the drivers back because of the other problems I was having. If I alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del, game.exe has an unexpected error and shuts down.

Any ideas? My computer meets the minimum requirements. I have DirectX 9c and my video card is an Nvidia Geforce2 MX, 64 MB.

Last edited by fov; 10-22-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
OB

I have all the latest drivers for everything, and it worked here. However, it did crash to desktop when I tried to feed a certain piece of info into my criminal profiler. I wasn't impressed with this jittery, buggy game enough to try again, so I uninstalled.

My rig is a Pentium 4, 2.4gHz, GeForce FX 5200(128MB), and 512 RAM. XP Home, DX9c
Old 10-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling. Maybe it makes a difference that I installed with the old drivers and am trying to play with the new ones (though I don't see why it should).

It's uninstalling very slowly...

EDIT: Reinstalling didn't fix it.

Last edited by fov; 10-22-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
Some Local Loser

Default Buggy Demo

As a warning to those who uninstall: make sure you manually delete the directory. The crashes dumped a 7MB .txt error log that wasn't wiped at uninstall.
It's probably my civic duty to send the dev team the file, but I'm not going to bother scanning a file that size for personal information.

I tried twice to run the demo; both attempts were unsuccessful.
Attempt 1: starts up, minimizes, locks computer (so I remember to quit F@H ).
Attempt 2: starts up, lets me read the intro page, "Done" link doesn't do anything, and the program doesn't appear in Task Manager, so I have to log out to kill all active apps.

Boo.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I don't meet the system requirements. Oh well.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdiscus
Attempt 2: starts up, lets me read the intro page, "Done" link doesn't do anything, and the program doesn't appear in Task Manager, so I have to log out to kill all active apps.
Sounds like the same problem I'm having, except I haven't been able to tell if it's in the task manager since it shuts itself down when I do ctrl-alt-del.

Performance in a demo generally isn't a good predictor of performance in the actual game, but this still makes me wary of buying it.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #7

Often when I try to walk in the demo the character just keeps walking to the right side of the screen. Then when he hits a wall he just keeps walking in the same spot. It´s very frustrating because there is no save option in the demo so I have had to start over and over again too many times. Also if I try to talk to someone and I don´t have any new subjects to talk about the demo freezes. Who has completed the demo here?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #8

The game has a lot of bugs. It looks like they rushed it to the store too quickly.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #9
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I don't meet the system requirements. Oh well.
Thats wierd, even though the entire game consists of pre-rendered crap. A computer from 1998 would be able to run this game. Of course I simply love the TV show, but the game could have more consistant non-pre-rendered graphics. I think it just looks tatty to have bad looking sprites & lovely backgrounds.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #10

^ Not everyone has a gaming computer. I have a school laptop that I try to play PC games on every once in a while. I normally can play most adventure games that come out, but this one exceeds my system specs (video card). Though some games, like The Moment of Silence, ran fine on my computer even though I didn't meet the U.S. requirements. I'm not going to bother with this one anyways. I never expected it to be any good.

If you think I'm weird for having such a bad computer, know that I'm a console gamer, not a PC gamer.

Last edited by Legolas813; 10-23-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #11

I am trying to complete the demo but have not succeeded. I am using the game walkthrough to help me and have done everything but I am still stuck. Maybe someone has done it and can help me out.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
^ Not everyone has a gaming computer. I have a school laptop that I try to play PC games on every once in a while. I normally can play most adventure games that come out, but this one exceeds my system specs (video card). Though some games, like The Moment of Silence, ran fine on my computer even though I didn't meet the U.S. requirements. I'm not going to bother with this one anyways. I never expected it to be any good.

If you think I'm weird for having such a bad computer, know that I'm a console gamer, not a PC gamer.
I don't think your wierd.. well for having a console, then yes your a wierdo. PC's will rule the world and you know it.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
A computer from 1998 would be able to run this game.
It requires a 64MB video card. I don't think you'll find many of those on a computer from 1998.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
PC's will rule the world and you know it.
Sorry, you are mistaken. Consoles will rule the world.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
Epinionated.

You're both mistaken. Cockroaches will rule the world.

Same problem here, glad it isn't just me.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #16
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
It requires a 64MB video card. I don't think you'll find many of those on a computer from 1998.
I was joking.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I have the same problem as you I think, fov. I get to the introduction text in the notebook, and then clicking on "Done" does nothing and I'm forced to resort to ALT+F4 to quit the program .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #18
Super Moderator

I didn't have any problems getting through that first screen, but I keep getting truly odd path-finding issues back at the squad office, and other random crashes.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #19
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
I didn't have any problems getting through that first screen, but I keep getting truly odd path-finding issues back at the squad office, and other random crashes.
Are they giving us a demo of how the retail version will crash & freeze or something? It didn't even load up when I ran the game, it just sat on a black screen, I had to do some manual tweaking.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-23-2005, 04:37 PM   #20
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I have the same problem as you I think, fov. I get to the introduction text in the notebook, and then clicking on "Done" does nothing and I'm forced to resort to ALT+F4 to quit the program .
Yup, same problem. Is your video card the same as mine? If so, which drivers are you using? Mine are version 5.13.01.1520

I just think it's weird that it worked before I upgraded the drivers, but isn't now. Maybe I should roll the drivers back to see if the Done problem still exists (I won't be able to play that way because of the video distortion, though).