You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor
Default Stuck in The Last Express

So I just got a copy of The Last Express, and I started playing it today. I'm really intruiged by the way the game works, but after playing for a pretty short time, I think I've hit a dead end. I could very well just be missing something though.

Here's what I've done:
Spoiler:

Found the dead body
Thrown the body out the window
Changed into the new coat
Seen the kid with the whistle
Gotten the passenger list
Found the scarf and scroll
Seen Alexei building a bomb through the window
Talked with Schmidt in the dinner car
Listened to a bunch of random people talk
Shown the scroll to Alexei
Met with His Excellence
Avoided the police
Given the scroll to Tatania
Explored the baggage car

The game came with the official strategy guide, so I checked out of desparation when it because obvious (after wandering around the train for several real-life hours) that I couldn't figure out what to do. The first thing I realized was that I did everything out of order, but I didn't think that was a big deal. Now, I'm not so sure. Apparently, I was supposed to fight with some guy named Milos before the police boarded the train. It says you can do that later, though, but you HAVE to fight him before the game will let you go to sleep. Now it's 11pm already, and Milos is asleep in his room! I tried just hanging out in my room waiting for him to come, but eventually I realized it wasn't going to work. Has anyone run into this problem, or do they know another way to get Milos to come to your room? I need to fight him so I can sleep!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Spoiler:
You can actually rewind time, just rewind it to a point where Milos has a chance of striking at you in your cabin.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
After 2 years...

Just a little thing, is your bed ready for sleep?
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 09-13-2003, 11:39 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Yes, I made the bed myself.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-13-2003, 11:51 PM   #5
After 2 years...

mmm....and the "z" doesn't apear when you put the cursor on the bed? Try to knock some door...

You can do really easily what bigjko , but the think is that there shouldn't have been such problems. Bug? maybe...To find him in your room, you don't wait for him, you see him coming in and then you enter...If i remember correctly it happens after the dinner around 8-9 oclock

mmmm
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 09-14-2003, 04:10 PM   #6
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with going to sleep at a reasonable hour. I wouldn't worry about being stuck until you approach an "endgame" cutscene. (That said, I think there might be a few deadends that can cause trouble.. I'm not sure.) Just like real life, the game can leave you with nothing to do but wait, sometimes.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-14-2003, 09:04 PM   #7

Well, I ended up just waiting (and waiting, and waiting), and eventually the game allowed me to go to sleep without ever fighting Milos. I was later able to meet with him as if I'd fought with him the first time around. I'm sure it wasn't supposed to happen this way, but at least I got through it. Since then I've completed the game, and I have to say it was incredible. I kept thinking to myself how much thought and planning must have gone into the creation of a game like this. I'm planning on playing through at least a few more times, but I think I can fairly safely say this is heading towards my list of top adventures.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:23 AM   #8
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

BTW, looking through that list of things you did, I saw a couple things that you didn't do, and a couple things I didn't. This game is truly a masterpiece.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-15-2003, 04:06 AM   #9
After 2 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
This game is truly a masterpiece.
You can say that again
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 09-15-2003, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
BTW, looking through that list of things you did, I saw a couple things that you didn't do, and a couple things I didn't.
Yeah, even having played it through once, I noticed how many different possibilities were available (when I was rewinding, etc.). One of the things that really impresses me is that the game isn't just an otherwise average game with a real-time system. All the aspects of the game really come together amazingly well, especially when one considers that the entire thing takes place in only about five or six train cars. It manages to feel incredibly complete despite the very condensed time period and physical area.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #11
Novice Member

That's a completely different order from how I played it too. And there were a few things there that I certainly didn't do my first time through.

Love this game.