You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems phantasmagoria and puzzle of flesh install issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 08:05 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to sambora34
Default phantasmagoria and puzzle of flesh install issues

I purchased both of these games in the mid 90's and havent played them in years. i just recently got both of them out to play again, but now i cant seem to install them on xp. can anyone help me resolve this issue.

thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambora34
I purchased both of these games in the mid 90's and havent played them in years. i just recently got both of them out to play again, but now i cant seem to install them on xp. can anyone help me resolve this issue.

thanks,

Jeff
Not sure about the first one. You might not be able to play the full game on XP, but the second game can be played on XP with some twicking. Go here (Inferno's XP site) for a step by step instrcuntion. This is for installing the Win 95 version of the game but if you have the DOS version, there is a link to the document that will give you the instruction for the DOS version there as well. Just follow the instruction. I had the WIn 95 version of the game and was able to play the entire game on XP just a few months ago. (with the help of wonderful fov. Thanks again hon!)

http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofi...in95_Setup.htm
Old 09-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.

I tried running Phantasmagoria 2 on XP and was unable to (got a bluescreen when I tried to launch). The suggestions at Inferno's site are the first place to check. If her setups don't help, you might try the official Vivendi forums, or doing a Google search might turn up some more information. I get the feeling that people have had varied success getting these two to run on XP.

I seem to remember some posters here downloading the trial version of VirtualPC so they could play Phantasmagoria 2 on XP, and that worked. It's a limited trial, though, so you'd have to play fast.

EDIT: Here is a thread on this topic.

Quote:
(with the help of wonderful fov. Thanks again hon!)
You're welcome, again.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #4

Thank you for the welcome Fov.
I do appreciate all the help i can get with this problem. i will try anything.
Thanks again,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

I tried running Phantasmagoria 2 on XP and was unable to (got a bluescreen when I tried to launch). The suggestions at Inferno's site are the first place to check. If her setups don't help, you might try the official Vivendi forums, or doing a Google search might turn up some more information. I get the feeling that people have had varied success getting these two to run on XP.

I seem to remember some posters here downloading the trial version of VirtualPC so they could play Phantasmagoria 2 on XP, and that worked. It's a limited trial, though, so you'd have to play fast.

You're welcome, again.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #5

i tried the inferno setup and it would load, but i couldnt see anything at all. it was just lines on the screen. not sure what to do next.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Not sure about the first one. You might not be able to play the full game on XP, but the second game can be played on XP with some twicking. Go here (Inferno's XP site) for a step by step instrcuntion. This is for installing the Win 95 version of the game but if you have the DOS version, there is a link to the document that will give you the instruction for the DOS version there as well. Just follow the instruction. I had the WIn 95 version of the game and was able to play the entire game on XP just a few months ago. (with the help of wonderful fov. Thanks again hon!)

Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #6

success!!! well in one sense it is, i have been about to install phantas2 and play it in dos mode, but....the sound sucks!!! i tried the inferno site for the sound issue and downloaded at vdmsound patch, but cant seem to get that to work. any suggestions????

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

You're welcome, again.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

The version of VDMSound I have is an older one, so I'm not sure it works the same way. But to use it all I have to do is right-click on the file that launches the game, and select "Run with VDMSound."

If that doesn't work, the website you downloaded VDMSound from probably has instructions.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:31 AM   #8

fov,
still battling the phantasmagoria2 issues. i did finally get it to work and even got sound, but can only play for a short time and it crashes. i have even gotten out my old win 98 computer but it doesnt even read the cd on that one. what would you suggest next?

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
The version of VDMSound I have is an older one, so I'm not sure it works the same way. But to use it all I have to do is right-click on the file that launches the game, and select "Run with VDMSound."

If that doesn't work, the website you downloaded VDMSound from probably has instructions.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Strange that it doesn't read the CD on win98 but does on XP. That probably indicates a problem with the CD drive on that machine. Try cleaning off the CD with a cotton cloth just in case dust or something is getting in the way.

If you have a CD burner on the XP computer, could you burn a copy of the CD and try using that in the win98 machine? May seem like a dumb solution, but I think running the game on win98 is going to be much easier than trying to fix the problem on XP.

Is there any rhyme or reason to when it crashes? Like, every time you try to save a game, or when a movie starts to play?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #10

actually it seems to play for about the same length of time. almost as if the memory is filling up or something, but i know that cant be possible. i have 512 mb ram and 160 gig hard drive. when i bought the game and played them both on an old win 95 machine, i had much less that that.
and in my old machine, there was recently a new cd rom installed in it.
actually the the phantasmagoria2 wont read at all in th 98 machine, but the phantasmagoria will start to read and when i run the test for the game, it only goes half way, and then stops with an error. the error say application error, integer divide by 0 what ever that mean...lol
i even try the virtual pc attempt and i dont understand how to work that so that wasnt any help.
anyway, thanks for all your help, it looks like i am going to have to find an old win95 machine or just forget about playing these games...lol

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Strange that it doesn't read the CD on win98 but does on XP. That probably indicates a problem with the CD drive on that machine. Try cleaning off the CD with a cotton cloth just in case dust or something is getting in the way.

If you have a CD burner on the XP computer, could you burn a copy of the CD and try using that in the win98 machine? May seem like a dumb solution, but I think running the game on win98 is going to be much easier than trying to fix the problem on XP.

Is there any rhyme or reason to when it crashes? Like, every time you try to save a game, or when a movie starts to play?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #11

To be honest, I also dug up Phantasmagoria to play it again, and it ran absolutely fine on winxp. I think the trick is NOT to do the system check at the installation screen, because then it usually crashes. I said no, and procceded normally from there on, and the game played like a dream, with no problems what so ever. The only problem I had, was with the autoplay option, where it crashed. So I opened manually the cd and ran the setup option. Other than that, everything was fine. No dosbox, no vdmsound, no nothing. It played just like any other modern game.

As for Phantasmagoria 2, I still looking for it, since I have put all my older games in the attic. I'm looking though, and when I find it, I'll give it a try and see what happens. A small tip: I have found that usually it helps a lot to turn your game discs into images, and then running them through a program like alcohol. I am not sure why, but a lot of my older games wouldn't run directly from the cds, and once I converted them into images, everything was ok.
you won't understand..."
Old 09-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Yes, if you're given the option, always skip the system test before installing.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:36 AM   #13

to fov and nikolas,
I have succeeded in my goal...lol, i have loaded and played both games but it was on my old machine which is win98. I did however have to skip the autoload and test section and install it manually. phantasmagoria i played and completed again last night and am now working on puzzle of flesh which is playing flawlessly.
thanks again for everyones help.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Yes, if you're given the option, always skip the system test before installing.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #14

well as luck would have it, i have gotten to the end sequence of puzzle of flesh and keep getting an error. the game stops at the same place each time i try to play it. it says the program has performed an illegal operation. does anyone have any ideas?

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambora34
to fov and nikolas,
I have succeeded in my goal...lol, i have loaded and played both games but it was on my old machine which is win98. I did however have to skip the autoload and test section and install it manually. phantasmagoria i played and completed again last night and am now working on puzzle of flesh which is playing flawlessly.
thanks again for everyones help.

Jeff
Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #15

You're welcome Jeff

Sorry if I'm gonna dissappoint you, but I remember playing Phantasmagoria 2 when it first came out and I also got an error message at the final puzzle...In fact, I never finished the game...

So I guess that the error is because of the game itself ( at least for some copies..) and not because of WinXP or some compatibility issue. I really can't help you here...perhaps there is a patch?
you won't understand..."
Old 03-21-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
Bob

HELP ! Unfortunately, I opted to utilize the system check during installation, only to have the program crash. Up to that point, things had been running smoothly, and everything checked before the crash point seemed to work fine. No folder was created for the game, and as far as I can tell, no files were installed on my hard drive. Now when I try to install the game using the setup.exe program, or run it by launching autoplay, either nothing happens or I receive an alert stating that the action has caused a General Protection Fault to occur, which I'm unable to get past.
Any suggestion on how I can play A PUZZLE OF FLESH ? I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, and as far as I can tell, have adequate memory to run the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasFigaro
To be honest, I also dug up Phantasmagoria to play it again, and it ran absolutely fine on winxp. I think the trick is NOT to do the system check at the installation screen, because then it usually crashes. I said no, and procceded normally from there on, and the game played like a dream, with no problems what so ever. The only problem I had, was with the autoplay option, where it crashed. So I opened manually the cd and ran the setup option. Other than that, everything was fine. No dosbox, no vdmsound, no nothing. It played just like any other modern game.

As for Phantasmagoria 2, I still looking for it, since I have put all my older games in the attic. I'm looking though, and when I find it, I'll give it a try and see what happens. A small tip: I have found that usually it helps a lot to turn your game discs into images, and then running them through a program like alcohol. I am not sure why, but a lot of my older games wouldn't run directly from the cds, and once I converted them into images, everything was ok.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the fourm.

Have you rebooted your system since this happened? It could be that something is still running in the background from the installer that you're not aware of.

If that doesn't work, does Win2000 have a System Restore feature? If so, try restoring to a point before you tried installing it the first time.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless

i did just get the game to start with that guide
and no slow movies,audio ^^