You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Black Mesa: Source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
adventurefan99

Default Black Mesa: Source

I was just browsing the net a few days and came across the "Black Mesa: Source" Mod for Half-Life 2. It turns out a group of extremely talented amateurs are remaking the original Half-Life: Source but with hi-res textures & animation and real physics. They've got a few screenshot available at their site and it looks very good, almost HL2 quality (Although, I suppose that's where they got the majority of their textures from). Check it out:

I just hope that the animation and AI will meet this high standard. You can find out more information at the Black Mesa website here .

I don't expect it to come out any time soon but it's certainly given me something to look forward to.

Last edited by 42yoMan; 08-21-2005 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
Banned User

Oh wow, that's pretty amazing! I don't see how they'll be able to create the whole game inch by inch, but it'll be kinda cool none the less.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
adventurefan99

After reading a recent PC Gamer interview it seems they're 30% through completing it.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Citizen of Bizarro World

Man, those screenies abso-freaking-lutely rock!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Sol Narcissus

Wow. Very interested in seeing how this project develops, mainly because it looks like it's a lot of work. Thanks for the heads-up.

Warning! The above post or comment may or may not contain sarcasm and/or irony and in some cases even serious cynicism and other types of tough guy talk. Please consult the nearest dictionary to avoid embarassing misunderstandings. Remember: It's never personal.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #6

Sorry for the bump.

I'm denzil, director of Black Mesa: Source, thought I'd drop in and answer a few of your questions.

-----------

We are roughly 30% complete yes, although there is still plenty left to do.

-----------

Our AI has been HEAVILY modified to feel more realistic and be more of a challenge, without being impossible or overkill. Before anyone asks, yes this is possible, I designed the AI myself.

-----------

Remaking each part of the game inch by inch is easier than you think, well.. it's not, but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Anymore questions feel free to post here or email me at the below address:

[email protected]

Cheers
Old 09-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Thanks for chiming in. Your project looks very, very promising.

When you say you're remaking it, is it going to be exactly the same as the original down to the smallest detail, or are there going to be some fundamental changes in the puzzles to accomodate the new technology (physics, and whatnot?)
Old 09-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #8

There will be changes to maps and models to take advantage of new technologies and limits.

But story, dialog and everything else will be kept the same.

We are keeping very close to the original content, just giving it a bit more "Wow" factor.

We've just opened up a new sub-forum concerning plans for our Cooperative mode and multiplayer modes (deathmatch, team deathmatch etcetera). Feel free to take a look.