You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Videogames treat Iraq War veterans with PTSD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
merely human

Default Videogames treat Iraq War veterans with PTSD

What the soldier sees -- behind the wheel of a Humvee, racing down a desert road while dodging bombs, bullets and rocket-propelled grenades. Psychologist Skip Rizzo leads a veteran of the Iraq war through a virtual reality therapy session. "I like to look at this from training to toy to treatment," Rizzo says of the VR tool. A therapist can change the VR environment with the tap of a pen on a touch-sensitive screen.

Virtual Reality Therapy for Combat Stress | National Public Radio

Quote:
Day to Day, August 19, 2005 · A new, high-tech system designed to treat military veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder -- or PTSD -- may be familiar to fans of a squad-based combat video game.

Using components from the popular game Full Spectrum Warrior, psychologist Skip Rizzo and his colleagues have fashioned a "virtual" world that simulates the sources of combat stress.

The project is a joint venture between the Institute for Creative Technologies -- a cutting-edge research lab at the University of Southern California -- and the Office of Naval Research. The object is to help veterans come to terms with what they've experienced in places like Iraq and Afghanistan by immersing vets in the sights and sounds of those theaters of battle.

The soldier being treated wears VR goggles and headphones. Using a tablet-based interface, a therapist can activate or remove the sounds of gunshots or the sight of smoke, depending on a patient's reaction. The idea is to re-introduce the patients to the experiences that triggered the trauma, gradually, until the memory no longer incapacitates them.

Eventually, Rizzo believes the therapy will include other stimuli, such as vibrations to simulate the impact of bombs or rumbling of tanks, and even the smells of war -- the body odor, garbage and spices of urban combat, for example.

Early results from trials suggest virtual reality therapy is uniquely suited to a generation raised on video games. The gaming aspect of the treatment also helps to lessen the stigma associated with getting therapy.
I wonder how much press coverage this is getting compared to GTA: San Andreas.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Banned User

Hey man, whatever works.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Yup that's my therapy, a virtual game of San Andreas and a go at the hot coffee mod.

Firefox rules
Old 08-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Yup that's my therapy, a virtual game of San Andreas and a go at the hot coffee mod.
You're pathetic. I'd rather myself have REAL LIFE sex, or if not that, real life pr0n.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You're pathetic. I'd rather myself have REAL LIFE sex, or if not that, real life pr0n.

Gee, talk about treating the symptom and not the problem. Solution is get out of Iraq and indict the idiot responsible for the bloody mess.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
merely human

Oh my, that joke of mine went over your head, didn't it?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycomb
Gee, talk about treating the symptom and not the problem. Solution is get out of Iraq and indict the idiot responsible for the bloody mess.

Ummmm...PTSD is a problem. And we're going to have to help returning boys and girls with it regardless of how soon the war ends.
The war itself and the political arena around it and PTSD are seperate issues. If the United States left Iraq tomorrow, we'd still have thousands of returning Americans with PTSD. The suicide rate as a result of PTSD is tremendously high.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
merely human

That's right, Spade. And that's not even counting the Vietnam vets, Gulf War vets, etc.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 PM   #9

Cause and effect. It's a symptom, not The Problem. If war is a disease kill the cancer producing host in a stetson. No point just treating the effects.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Cause and effect. It's a symptom, not The Problem. If war is a disease kill the cancer producing host in a stetson. No point just treating the effects.
I-D-I-D-O-T-H

Get a free punch to your face!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I-D-I-D-O-T-H

Add an enema to your cocoa dude. You're constipated at both ends.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:15 AM   #12
Epinionated.

Nix the war argument fellas, it'll only end in tears.

The thread is about treatment, not about cause and effect.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:22 AM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Nix the war argument fellas, it'll only end in tears.

The thread is about treatment, not about cause and effect.
I didn't say anything!

It's no surprise though, they use this sort of treatment in hospitals on your average joe, so why not here as well?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #14
fire breathing

Quote:
Well I guess you can tell the families of GI's who have committed suicide as a direct result of PTSD that PTSD is only a symptom unworthy of serious scrutiny.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Quote:
I-D-I-D-O-T-H

Add an enema to your cocoa dude. You're constipated at both ends.
Hey, no getting personal, got it?

Quote:
You tell THAT to Dubbya Bush, not us. We ALREADY KNOW ALL THAT. Meahwhile we are more concerned here with helping our fellow American brothers and sisters deal with the damage already done to them by Bush's f#&k ups. THAT is the issue of this thread.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #16
Banned User

Quote:
Hey, no getting personal, got it?

You tell THAT to Dubbya Bush, not us. We ALREADY KNOW ALL THAT. Meahwhile we are more concerned here with helping our fellow American brothers and sisters deal with the damage already done to them by Bush's f#&k ups. THAT is the issue of this thread.
I didn't say anything!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #17
merely human

Can you tell I'm being pre-emptive?

(((((tempsie)))))
Old 08-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
Banned User

Quote:
Can you tell I'm being pre-emptive?

(((((tempsie)))))
Hahahah awwww, that's a good lil' mod. Good boy! Good boy! C'mere grrrrr awww.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #19
Doctor Watson

Quote:
I didn't say anything!!!
And that "IDIOTH" meant...?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #20
fire breathing

I. Do. Infilitrate. Orion. T-Shirts. Ham.

Completly harmless imo.