You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Project Offset...a real stunner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
OB

Default Project Offset...a real stunner

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/764/764837/vids_1.html - some videos....amazing graphics and atmosphere

http://www.projectoffset.com/downloads.html - main download site including HD content

http://www.projectoffset.com/ - official site

Three people living in an apartment are working on this.

Last edited by Orange Brat; 08-11-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
Epinionated.

Yeah, tis pretty stunning, isn't it? Keep meaning to contact them to see if they want any storyboard help.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #3
merely human

Orange, that link to the movies is for members only!!

Here they are for FREE at Gametrailers.

EDIT: Looks beautiful. And I do like the idea of a fantasy FPS, we don't get enough of them (it's usually sci-fi save-the-world stuff). I do hope they can get it to Xbox 360 (and PS3), I might just wanna finally learn to do FPSs on the console (I may get Oblivion for it).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-11-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
OB

Just click "Watch it Now" to stream it. No membership required. The members only links are squished in that tiny colored box for a reason....to separate them.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:35 AM   #5
delusions of adequacy

Certainly looks promising. 'Fantasy' Team Fortress? I wonder if we'll see a 2 fort 4 clone

I loved the class based tactical elements in the original Team Fortress for Quakeworld and lamented the move to more 'realism' the game took with 1.5 on the Half Life engine (killing much of the fun).

I like tactical shooters but when they pretend towards realism like Counterstrike and its many clones I just lose interest. TF was great fun when you mastered outlandish moves like rocket jumps, cuss leaps and playing the spy class convincingly. Far more rewarding than all that sitting still and waiting for someone to pass your crosshairs. I hope the fantasy element is played up in all the classes rather than just being a backdrop to the game.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #6
Banned User

Do it square! What do you have to lose? At least, if you talk to them, your name will be out there.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Now that is a cool video.

First I thought that this was some upcoming UE3 game, but when I checked further in to their web pages, they say that this is engine built from scratch.

This is very good news indeed.
We need more different kind of game engines.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 AM   #8

The technology certainly looks impressive, and so does the things they've done with it so far. I also have a lot of symphaty for these developers like Offset (they're just three guys in an apartment).

But I have to admit I find it hard to get very excited about this game right now, as I don't think there's much "game" there yet. I hope they get funding to turn it into a proper game, as it looks like an interesting concept, but right now I'm not going to put it on my hype-o-meter.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Well, at least these three guys have got the credibility. They, along with four others, made an award-winning game. I think they definately have what it takes to make another one.

Here's to their luck.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 AM   #10
Homer of Kittens

This game looks awesome, and these guys have produced in that footage graphics that rival the best of what next gen has showcased. The game looks fun, and the different setting for the FPS is refreshing. I also hope they can get funding for their project.

Firefox rules
Old 08-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #11
Squeaky

Wow! That was pretty damn impressive. Full credit to the tiny team, and best of luck to them getting this up and flying.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Looks awesome! The motion blur is used brilliantly, those guys are very talented. I'm looking forward to seeing their future work.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
Headbanger

That was mighty impressive graphicwise. I hope they will make a good game too.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #14
Sol Narcissus

Looks interesting. Although the project doesn't seem to have made up its mind if it's a first person shooter or a roleplaying game, the game will at the very least look good. I hope the rest of the game will be better than the graphics engine.

Warning! The above post or comment may or may not contain sarcasm and/or irony and in some cases even serious cynicism and other types of tough guy talk. Please consult the nearest dictionary to avoid embarassing misunderstandings. Remember: It's never personal.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #15
OB

When you get right down to it, all an RPG is is a more indepth shooter. You walk around and things attack you and fight back. You add in the micromanagement component and more complex story, and it magically becomes an RPG.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 AM   #16
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locue
Looks interesting. Although the project doesn't seem to have made up its mind if it's a first person shooter or a roleplaying game, the game will at the very least look good. I hope the rest of the game will be better than the graphics engine.
Sounds to me like it's a straightforward FPS. The fantasy setting changes nothing..
Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #17
OB

Based off the website, it's definitely a traditional RPG.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If it's from the ex-S2Games guys who made Savage then I'm interested .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #19
Sol Narcissus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Sounds to me like it's a straightforward FPS. The fantasy setting changes nothing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Based off the website, it's definitely a traditional RPG.
Exactly.

To me, this is yet another one of these FPS:es trying so incredibly hard to look and act like RPG:s just because they put in a little box where you increase your statistics. I could be wrong of course, but that'd be a first for me then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
When you get right down to it, all an RPG is is a more indepth shooter. You walk around and things attack you and fight back. You add in the micromanagement component and more complex story, and it magically becomes an RPG.
Don't take this the wrong way, but that was the most dumb statement I've ever read about RPG:s in my entire life. Mind if I show that around to people to make them laugh?

Warning! The above post or comment may or may not contain sarcasm and/or irony and in some cases even serious cynicism and other types of tough guy talk. Please consult the nearest dictionary to avoid embarassing misunderstandings. Remember: It's never personal.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #20
OB

You can do whatever you wish, but I've been playing RPG's for 20 years, so I know what constitutes one, and what I stated is basically what separates a shooter from an RPG when you get right down to it. It's no different than stating that all that keeps Silent Hill, Ico, and Resident Evil from being a pure adventure is the combat.