You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Project Offset...a real stunner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #21
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locue
To me, this is yet another one of these FPS:es trying so incredibly hard to look and act like RPG:s just because they put in a little box where you increase your statistics. I could be wrong of course, but that'd be a first for me then.
I've seen a lot of ways to control combat in a RPG, using FPS style is one of them, it doesn't really change whether it's a RPG or not if the other elements are there. Turn-based or real-time doesn't change this for me either.

Where did you get your info? I don't see any real stuff that tells me exactly what this game is, I've seen a pretty high res video that looked like a tech demo, not a game.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #22
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Where did you get your info? I don't see any real stuff that tells me exactly what this game is, I've seen a pretty high res video that looked like a tech demo, not a game.
From their website.
Introducing the first epic fantasy FPS

"Project Offset" (working title) is a game like no other first person shooter to date. We wanted to make an FPS set in a epic fantasy world. A game where you can choose one of many character classes. A game where clans can combat over mission based objectives and be ranked accordingly. A game where you can play alone, coop, team based objective or deathmatch.

Firefox rules
Old 08-13-2005, 02:02 AM   #23
delusions of adequacy

Who care's what genre the game falls under? As long as its fun. I don't get the impression there is any attempt at all to pass the game off as an RPG. Not that I'd care if they did. For those who never played TF, think return to castle wolfenstein multiplayer. The strict player classes are listed there on the front page, with the focus on what they bring to a team based siege situation.

That's hardly similar to what passes for RPGs on computer these days where you inevitably control some sword or spell slinging movie character mimmic saving the world by killing impossibly huge numbers of monsters who conveniently wait enough distance from one another so you don't get swamped.

I'm all for the FPS genre to stick its nose into CRPG territory if it means CRPGs finally take up alternate means of conflict resolution and filler. If fantasy afficionados can get their swords and sorcery combat fix from something like this perhaps CRPGs will finally address the lack of skill and diplomacy paths in them. Combat is not what RPGs are all about, but sadly its the focus of most computer based ones.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #24
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Who care's what genre the game falls under? As long as its fun. I don't get the impression there is any attempt at all to pass the game off as an RPG. Not that I'd care if they did. For those who never played TF, think return to castle wolfenstein multiplayer. The strict player classes are listed there on the front page, with the focus on what they bring to a team based siege situation.

That's hardly similar to what passes for RPGs on computer these days where you inevitably control some sword or spell slinging movie character mimmic saving the world by killing impossibly huge numbers of monsters who conveniently wait enough distance from one another so you don't get swamped.
Exactly! Just because it brings classes into the mix doesn't make it an RPG. Of course, this is going dangerously close to genre-definition discussion, let's steer clear of that crap.

The only thing that matters is what the designers classify the game as, and so far the only thing they've said is FPS.