You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Don't copy that floppy!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003, 10:14 AM   #1
Revolution Fanatic

Default Don't copy that floppy!

I can't stop laughing after watching this!
It was shown to Kids in the 90's, just watch the damn thing:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/floppy.php
Old 11-20-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Hypnotic.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneb
I can't stop laughing after watching this!
It was shown to Kids in the 90's, just watch the damn thing:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/floppy.php
HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA!

Was that Queen Latifa?

This was brilliant! I certainly won't copy any floppies any more! Why aren't they doing commercials like this now? I bet they just couldn't find a good rhyme for disc....

*thinks*

What IS a good rhyme for disc???
Old 11-20-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

This is a legendary video, I saw this for the first time last year. I've had it since on my hard drive.

Many times that I had difficulty to smile , I have watched this DCTF video
Old 11-20-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Is it possible to download it? Preferably at a better quality level....
Old 11-20-2003, 12:28 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

HAHAHAHAHA!

although technically, they were going to copy a game off the harddrive, not copy a floppy.

emily
Old 11-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #7

Hehe...

In all fairness though, copyright laws are just stupidly uptight. How many games or books have you tried because someone recommended and lent them to you? And I suppose renting or buying a film and then watching it with your friends is illegal too... "No sorry buddy, I can't watch this film with you unless you go out and buy it as well."

Developers need to provide more of an incentive to own games, rather than just play the guilt-trip. Great packaging helps (Morrowind).... or written or other materials actually 'from' the gameworld like maps or for example the warden's diary that comes with American McGee's Alice. The original retail version of Grim Fandango had the original soundtrack / Full Throtle coupon, I believe (only have the entertainment pack edition myself )...

Collector's editions are good at this but even regular retail versions should have something unique and interesting about them. Beyond encouring people to actually go out and buy the thing, it also makes it more immersive and believable as a whole. Fighting to extract the CDs from a generic plastic and otherwise empty DVD box is not a very inspiring start to a game. Some more effort could also go into the installation. Everything, in my opinion, should be seen as an extension of the game world.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:06 PM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

that was classic. did I hear you right? you gonna play without payin?!

Old 11-20-2003, 01:30 PM   #9
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

I saw (a shorter version of) this on TV when it first came out. And yes, there's a 100+ meg version of it floating around somewhere.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-20-2003, 01:34 PM   #10
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Bwahahahah. Best video ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Hehe...

In all fairness though, copyright laws are just stupidly uptight. How many games or books have you tried because someone recommended and lent them to you? And I suppose renting or buying a film and then watching it with your friends is illegal too... "No sorry buddy, I can't watch this film with you unless you go out and buy it as well."
Where on earth do you get the impression that's what you have to do? There's a difference between watching a movie with someone and REPRODUCING the movie. I'd think that would be obvious. I mean, at the beginning of the video the two people were playing the same copy of the game together (I assume they had been trading off), and it's not as if that was the problem.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #11

Okay, maybe that isn't quite illegal but it is apparently illegal to lend someone a book, film or game, which is essentially the same anyway (assuming, no copies are made).
Old 11-20-2003, 01:44 PM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
There's a difference between watching a movie with someone and REPRODUCING the movie.
[spike-tailed lawyer]And HOW do you suppose I watch a movie with someone who's 5000 miles away from me?[/spike-tailed lawyer]

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #13
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Is it possible to download it? Preferably at a better quality level....
That would be piracy Garyos, it's the property of the The Software Publishers Association of America! Shame on you for such irony!

Btw: Who made that original Neverwinter Nights?

Edit: "Buy one for every computer you use" Nice.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-20-2003, 01:47 PM   #14

Upon further inspection, books can actually be lent, as long as it's not "in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published". How pleasantly confusing... guess it's just films and games then.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:04 PM   #15
The Robot Head of Love

Send a message via ICQ to zarathustrian Send a message via AIM to zarathustrian Send a message via MSN to zarathustrian Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustrian

I could swear the name of that online game they show onscreen is "Neverwinter Nights". :eek:
Old 11-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Developers need to provide more of an incentive to own games, rather than just play the guilt-trip.
this is an excellent point. back in the day there was incentive -- beautiful documentation. i will never, ever, ever give up my Sierra manuals. someone will have to pry them out of my cold dead fingers.

also what the guy interviewed was saying about tech support, that may have been true in the eighties. Sierra gave really good support back then. now, even if you buy a LEGAL copy you can't get any damn support. so that's really not much of an incentive...

in general, i think the industry cares less about its customers than it used to. maybe that's inevitable as an industry grows. (maybe it even stemmed out of the mentality that that video was trying so hard to avert...)

-emily
Old 11-20-2003, 04:41 PM   #17
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
in general, i think the industry cares less about its customers than it used to. maybe that's inevitable as an industry grows.
Unfortunately, it pretty much always happens as an industry goes. The problem is, as an industry grows larger, it becomes easier to just deal with things in a cost-effective way. If the industry is big enough and enough people will buy your game anyway even without including nice maps and manuals and so forth, it's just eaiser not to. I've seen this happen in my former hobby of tabletop wargaming, and it's very troubling in that case as well. It happens in terms of individual authors/artists/developers/whatever as well, as they grow and become more popular. When it happens in an industry, it's just a large-scale verison of that.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-20-2003, 05:16 PM   #18
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Hahahaha! Wow, what a great infomercial. Incidentally, that clip seems to originate from Hugi.is, which is a huge Icelandic community site that I frequent (I moderate some parts of the communities)... strange coincidence, really.

Err, anyway. That Neverwinter Nights game really took me by surprise, too. No entry to be found over at MobyGames, so it must be very ancient (And rare?) indeed.

The rapper was M.E. Hart, whoever that is. Found no more info on him, a shame... but I want a high-quality version of that video!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustrian
I could swear the name of that online game they show onscreen is "Neverwinter Nights". :eek:
Online?

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-20-2003, 05:27 PM   #20

There's a (well, at least one) slashdot article on this. In the comments section you will find a link to the big version. Go.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"