You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Deus Ex 2 demo today?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003, 04:51 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Deus Ex 2 demo today?

I heard a rumor that today the demo of Deus Ex 2 would be released exclusively in Fileplanet?

Has anyone heard about this?

If it is, I want the demo, now.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:57 AM   #2
merely human

There has been a great buzz about the demo launching today (20th), but no official word from Ion Storm or Eidos. It's being said that Fileplanet will have it exclusively for one day, available immediately (no lines) to subscribed members (at the risk of creating yet another ugly incident like the Call of Duty demo did). Non-members, if they're lucky, get to wait a few hours in line (ha!).

In any case, I would keep tabs on it via Gamer's Hell, Blue's News, Gamespy Daily, and the Ion Storm forums. The day's not over yet. 8-)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-20-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
The Reggienator

CVG reports that Deus Ex 2 demo is delayed

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...p(que)id=98730

but it's still unofficial information

EDIT: Ok, so now there's story that Fileplanet's crappy Ez-pad program that they use for their exclusive releases has caused a problem with Deus Ex 2.

This is starting to sound like the Call of Duty demo release thing...

Soon Eidos will propably announce that every major gaming site will have the demo at the same time.

Last edited by Kolzig; 11-20-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
Umbilicus Mundi

Apparently Gapespy already has it, but it's not up yet.

Well, I'm off to see a robot contest ( http://www.robotex.ee/eng ) and I hope it will be up when I return.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:25 AM   #5
Umbilicus Mundi

Where is that demo!!!??!
Are they trying to drive me insane?

There is a tumor in my brain. It's making me mad. They will have to operate, agressively.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:05 AM   #6
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Where is that demo!!!??!
Are they trying to drive me insane?

There is a tumor in my brain. It's making me mad. They will have to operate, agressively.
They heard me!

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/133479.shtml

Hurry up! No wait times -- Two DXIW deticated servers.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:10 AM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Registered DX: Invisible War Demo [November 21, 2003, 12:59 PM EST]

The Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo is now available for download from FilePlanet (registration required). The 224 MB demo for ION Storm's RPG sequel is exclusive to registered FilePlanet users for the time being, but as noted on the FilePlanet front page, the release of the demo to the rest of the public will be this evening at 7:00 p.m. EST coinciding with their GameSpy Arcade chat with designer Harvey Smith and other members of the development team on the project.
Blue's News

Beware the oncoming flood. Beware. Wage your war this weekend.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-21-2003, 06:54 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Damn you stupid gamespy. I hate waiting in line...
Old 11-21-2003, 07:09 AM   #9
merely human

Patience, my dear. Patience. Go do some other things for a few hours, you'll get the demo soon.

EDIT: LOL Oh, screw the patience Kolzig! The demo is actually now available at Fileplanet to everyone (i.e., non-subscribers too). I just decided to queue in and am now waiting 15 minutes before I get to download it. What the hell, it's the weekend, I have time to kill.

EDIT: Dowloading now. Currently at 55%, 7 minutes left to go. Alex D., looking forward to finally meeting and working with you...

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-21-2003 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:44 AM   #10
Umbilicus Mundi

95 %, 5 minutes to go. The tumor in my brain is agony personified.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
The Reggienator

31% here, still 1 hour to go

ahh, maybe I should play Rez for an hour and come check then the situation
Old 11-21-2003, 07:54 AM   #12
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Funnily, there was no queue when I started downloading it. I couldn't believe it! Playing it in a couple of seconds now....
Old 11-21-2003, 07:56 AM   #13
merely human

Download complete. Had to make a sandwich. Am now installing...
Old 11-21-2003, 07:57 AM   #14
Umbilicus Mundi

I knew it couldn't be that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readme.rtf
a. The Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo will not run properly on ATI cards using the Catalyst 3.8 drivers. We specifically do not support these drivers with the demo. Running the demo while using these drivers will cause graphical corruption in-demo, and eventually will cause a crash.
b. While the demo will run properly on the 3.7 drivers, we strongly recommend updating to the Catalyst 3.9 drivers on the ATI site.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:01 AM   #15
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
I knew it couldn't be that simple.
I'm glad I don't have a ATI graphics card...

But, one only has to update from 3.8 to 3.9, so that can't be so hard, can it?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:20 AM   #16
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
But, one only has to update from 3.8 to 3.9, so that can't be so hard, can it?
Yeah, that's what I THOUGHT!

BUT NO! Windows XP want's to install it's own driver after a restart without letting me interrupt the process in any way just telling me "Found new Hardware" (1 minute delay) "ATI RADEONBLABLA FOUND".

And 3.8 Catalyst setup doesn't like this.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #17
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I got the same vibe from this as with the original Deus Ex demo - I didn't get into it. I know I'm going to love it in the end, but this - I just couldn't get myself to finish it. I dunno why.

Pro's:

- Great graphics, and all that retains the same "feel".
- Physics in place: Didn't do anything useful while I played, though.
- Most realistic walking in any FPS to date. (Or just bad Framerate... I wasn't totally sure.)
- Nicer cutscenes while talking to NPCs than in the last game.
- Thief 3 trailer! Cool!
- Fluid-looking interface. But...

Con's:

- Why does the inventory things have to stay in view in the middle of the screen all the time??? They were really in the way, and i preferred DX1s way of doing it. Luckily you can turn its opcaity down, so I just made it invisible. Also, there was a lot of text floating around all the time, and everything seemed too big for the resolution I had chosen.
- Some of the controls were weird. Why do I have to toggle crouhing instead of just pressing the button? And where are the lean keys? And the holster key? And the quicksave keys? (this was one of my main reasons for not completing this. Deus ex REQUIRES quicksave!)I hope this is only lacking because it's a demo.
- The framerate was lower than I expected for my machine. I guess I'll have to tone the dials down a little...

Nitpicks, this. I think my main gripes are qith the interface, which I'm sure I'll get used to. And the controls better be better in the final game!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it seemed quite open-ended and multi-choisey. Add that to "Pro's".

Last edited by Garyos; 11-21-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:22 AM   #18
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Sounds like they're going with the same interface system for both PC and consoles, which kinda sucks. The interface described by Garyos will probably work well on the Xbox, but controlling it with a keyboard and mouse requires a completely different scheme. Hopefully the final version will let you customize it better. And quick save.

Oh yeah, 2% left. ;-*
Old 11-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #19
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
- Why does the inventory things have to stay in view in the middle of the screen all the time??? They were really in the way, and i preferred DX1s way of doing it. Luckily you can turn its opcaity down, so I just made it invisible. Also, there was a lot of text floating around all the time, and everything seemed too big for the resolution I had chosen.
Interviews said it was supposed to mimic the kind of HUD you might get implanted right on your eye. Which is stupid because, a)it's NOT, and b)Who would put any vital information in the periphery of your eye? If it has to be in the periphery, color coding would make a lot more sense. But I haven't played the demo (or DX1) to see if your complaints are just stupid.
Quote:
- Some of the controls were weird. Why do I have to toggle crouhing instead of just pressing the button?
Man, I would've loved a toggle-crouch in Halo. It was so AS$!#235 annoying to have to press in and forward at the same time, and it never worked reliably.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-21-2003, 09:41 AM   #20
Umbilicus Mundi

Default Fuck

The ATI drivers require that a "Standard VGA Adapter" is previously installed. However, I can't install these things. Even if I boot windows with "enable VGA mode", there appears a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" in the OTHER devices menu (indicating that the drivers are missing or something like that).

So much for playing the demo. Fuckin PC's.