You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #41
Headbanger

An October release? What's taking so long? You don't want to rush a game but come on.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 AM   #42

A couple new videos out on gametrailers...

I was a bit taken aback by the isometric Diablo-like perspective, but it seems this varies per video so you can probably put the camera where you want. Not sure about the writing though...

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 09-03-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #43
Vigilant

I have way too many games to play before the Witcher comes out anyhow. I am very thankful for an October release, albeit Hellgate: London is released around that time as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #44

When I get around to buying a new personal computer, I'll give the game a try. I've been looking into this title for quite awhile now....
Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #45
Headbanger

Ha ha ha, I had no idea Vader was going to make a song to promote the game. I will have it in my hands on the 26th of October. Can't wait.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #46

This game comes highly recommended by Bioware - for some odd reason.
I'm still on the verge or brink about this game, but maybe I'll be getting one day - after I got a job again
Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #47
In an evening of July...

A demo has been released, you can download it from Gamershell (1.97GB).
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #48
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
That 'truly adult' thing is what's really niggling at me. In all honesty, I've heard that crap shat out before, and in the end many of the games that say that haven't really explored it nearly as deeply as they could. I mean, why can't making extremely difficult choices based on love, loyalty, ethics, and philosophical beliefs BE a great part of gameplay, too? In the end, you get great combat and exploration.....meh.
Hi, Intrepid!

Having played the game for a bit now, I must say that in this game you really do have to make difficult choices like the ones you described, and often enough (even in books characters don't make difficult choices on every page). And they seem to have consequences, though I don't know how severe as I'm only playing for the first time and don't know the alternate paths. But you were right to question it -- this aspect of the game doesn't really go as deep as it could, mostly because the writing in this game is not that great and ruins some of the effect. Even then, it's quite refreshing compared to your typical good vs. evil RPG stuff. I'd even say that the Gothic series seems a good vs. evil purist compared to The Witcher.

The combat, magic and alchemy systems are especially awesome, though (with the hard difficulty)! I'm really liking this game.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #49

Just won it. Game of the Year IMO.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #50
Vigilant

The errors and technical difficulties prevented me from playing it any further than the 1st act. I liked what I saw, but the bugs were too great and could hardly be looked over. I have been looking forward to this game for almost three years and my reward is a dubious slap in the face for my loyalty. My computer isn't even that bad, either.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
The errors and technical difficulties prevented me from playing it any further than the 1st act. I liked what I saw, but the bugs were too great and could hardly be looked over. I have been looking forward to this game for almost three years and my reward is a dubious slap in the face for my loyalty. My computer isn't even that bad, either.
Did you download the 300mb or so of patches?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #52
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
Yes, as tastebud already said, try the patches. I played with the first patch from the start, but from what I hear it improved a lot. The second patch (1.2) reduced the load & save times greatly! Some loads are now non-existent (coming back out from houses to a larger area). But I also saw a few crashes with the second patch.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #53
Vigilant

Yes the patches assisted in the crashes and a few loading points, but it was still unbearable. Huge let down, but like I said I loved what I saw.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #54

From what I've heard about this game so far, it seems that no matter what decisions you make, the nature of the outcome is always slanted towards "death and destruction"?

If that is true, wouldn't that sort of cripple the role-playing factor a little? In the end, the only kinda character you can RP is a guy with mostly skewed morals. Whereas my idea of "grey" is to have a character who does both good and evil, depending on situation, the people he's talking to, his mood, etc.

And I've also heard that if you choose to be "good", the outcome would be a lot worse than being "evil". Now that... I don't like. That's like forcing you to take the choices the devs marked as "evil" or "grey".
Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
From what I've heard about this game so far, it seems that no matter what decisions you make, the nature of the outcome is always slanted towards "death and destruction"?
Well considering this isn't a point and click adventure game, naturally you're often gonna be killing something so I don't see what the problem is there. It's up to you if you wanna kill the "good guys" or the "bad guys".
Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
Well considering this isn't a point and click adventure game, naturally you're often gonna be killing something so I don't see what the problem is there. It's up to you if you wanna kill the "good guys" or the "bad guys".
Oops, I should've been clearer. I wasn't talking about the killing parts but about what other things you do in the game, like decisions taken in quests, decisions as a result of someone's action.

Well, we'll see. I'll have time to try the demo this weekend.

Besides, this isn't the first RPG I've ever played. ^^;;
Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #57

I'm sure you'll like it. Just make sure to play with "over the shoulder" view with keyboard & mouse. Makes it a lot more immersive.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
I'm sure you'll like it. Just make sure to play with "over the shoulder" view with keyboard & mouse. Makes it a lot more immersive.
Okay, sure. I'll have to try it in February though 'cos I'm getting kinda busy. All the better then 'cos there seem to be certain issues that need patching.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #59

Quote:
And I've also heard that if you choose to be "good", the outcome would be a lot worse than being "evil". Now that... I don't like. That's like forcing you to take the choices the devs marked as "evil" or "grey".
In my experience, the exact opposite is true for the VAST majority of games, so it would be nice to play as a bad guy without giving up a lot for once. I'm tired of games that claim to be open ended and offer lots of choices, then give great rewards for all the "good" choices you make while and nothing except lots of gold or something for the "evil" choices.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Well that's not true... Just stop reading all these reviews and rumors and form your own opinion by playing the demo. That's what it's for I just can't see how anyone can not like this game.