You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General 25 To Life and Why I Will Support it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
SamNMax

Default 25 To Life and Why I Will Support it

'Cause I'm so sick of all these conservative (and liberal, for that matter) politicians and priest bitching about this game. If you happen to even flip past CNN, you're chances of hearing about this game are unanimous. 25 To Life is an online-only game in which a team of police officers and a team of small-time criminals go head-to-head. Many, many gamers have made the comment that the game seems a lot like SOCOM: US Navy SEALs, but with SEALs and Terrorists replaced with pigs and criminals. And they are correct, yet for some reason, this game get's news coverage out the wazoo like it's the second coming of Mortal Kombat or GTA III. If I may bes so bold, I'd like to ask why. Someone explain this to me. It really just seems like there's something racial going on here because all these people seem to be under the illusion that all criminals are black. So, from what I can gather, these bullshit-spewing machines have no objections of SEALs killing terrorists and vise versa, yet for some reason, they're up in arms about cops killing gangsters and vise versa. As far as I'm conserned, these game both have the same exact concept and both of these conflicts are going on as you read this short, but frank, message. So, why pick on this game? Is the fact that a few black dudes are able to kill some cops and vise versa?

I will find the most expensive seller of this game, buy it full price, and play the hell out of it. And I encurage you all to do the same.

Last edited by SamNMax; 07-16-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
It really just seems like there's something racial going on here because all these people seem to be under the illusion that all criminals are black.
Racial???

Have you lost your mind?

mag
Old 07-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
SamNMax

Yes, racial. It's obvious that assholes who aren't even politicians are always lashing out against rap music, the "urban" style, etc. (I'm looking at you O' Riely. Ass.)

Old 07-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Banned User

Quote:
Yes, racial. It's obvious that assholes who aren't even politicians are always lashing out against rap music, the "urban" style, etc. (I'm looking at you O' Riely. Ass.)
It's mostly the fault of the Republican ideal for turning most rap music into the reduction of a black man's struggle for nice clothes, jewelry, money, cars, and whores.

If there weren't giant greedy music corporations shamelessly trying to own ever yaspect of rap music and then making it disgustingly homogeneous and airing all over MTV and Clearchannel radio stations (I'd say 95% of the U.S.'s exposure to music) then they wouldn't be biting themselves in the ass.

Last edited by syntheticgerbil; 07-16-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
OUATIJ Creator

Hmmm... I don't really get too involved in discussions about stuff like this because, frankly, people have a right to make what they want. This 25 to Life game doesn't have to be bought by anyone who doesn't like the subject matter, nor do parents have to let their children play it if they don't approve. So, the controversy over games like this or rap music or whatever doesn't make too much sense.

Still, it does seem clear to me that most rap music isn't setting a very good example for young people. But that's not really for me to decide when it comes to others. I just know that if I were a parent, I wouldn't really want my children falling in love with rap music at the age of 12 or 13. And this opinion of mine isn't "racial" as SamNMax put it, heh, because some of the most disturbing rap music is by Eminem. His song "Kim", for instance, where he basically goes insane throughout because his wife cheats on him, and then he violently kills her at the end. Still, despite my opinion, I don't support censorship of Eminem or any other rapper. I don't support censorship, period. Just goes to show that you can disapprove of something, and still understand that other people have the right to approve of it.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
Banned User

But things like Eminem and Lil' Kim aren't really people, they are just things. Icons promoted by companies living off controversy so they can just sell more records for 20 bucks a piece. I don't think they are at all a good example of what rap music should be or how it was founded. Any kind of corporate rap music just isn't music. But kids don't have any idea or exposure to any other music out there existing.

And there's black cops in this game so I don't see any kind of inbalance that wealthy white people should complain about. I don't understand the Republican hold on American entertainment and their double standards. Then they will dismiss it as the Liberal conspiracy that controls the media is the real perpetrator. But I don't understand that as most Liberals are too whiney and broke to take over and control anything. Then Republicans whine because they need something to whine about and I don't know which side I hate more.

I think people should just be allowed to do things and no be so defensive about a good business decision, someone's possible sensitivity, or where the market lies.

And this has only a small bit to do with this game I'll probably never play. Sorry guys. (and ladies) Er, if this posts gets controversial, I'll delete it.

Last edited by syntheticgerbil; 07-16-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:14 AM   #7
OUATIJ Creator

so...basically we agree? I mean, what I gathered from your post was that you are against censorship, right? Welcome aboard.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
Banned User

Well I'm for censorship against the usuals that will fight for it.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:06 AM   #9
mag

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is about the craziest theory I've seen in days. These objections to 25 to Life have absolutely nothing to do with racism. You want to know why people are upset with it? Because it's a game about KILLING COPS! It's that simple. There's no need to bring in any of these theories about "the Man" trying to oppress black people. That's all it is.

mag
Old 07-17-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
Homer of Kittens

I won't necessarily support this game for one sole reason: I think it will be a crappy game. Oh and Grand Theft Auto allows you to kill cops. You can shoot as many as you want, but then the whole army will be after you.

Firefox rules
Old 07-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
SamNMax

1) This was a pretty senseless post. I sort of forgot that this has been going on since Death Race and there's nothing I can do.

2)
Quote:
But things like Eminem... aren't really people, they are just things. Icons promoted by companies living off controversy so they can just sell more records for 20 bucks a piece. I don't think they are at all a good example of what rap music should be or how it was founded. Any kind of corporate rap music just isn't music. But kids don't have any idea or exposure to any other music out there existing.
Really? How many Eminem songs have you heard? Probably just "My Name Is" and "The Real Slim Shady". If you took the time to listen to his better songs, you'd feel follish for posting that.You're making it sound like he doesn't write his own music, as well.

I'm a kid, and I've listened to the most foul, hardcore rap music out there. Strangly enough, they're all under things called "record lables". Every rap song ever released on a CD is "corporate". It's just that most rap artists have never done the things that they rap about. Killing, robbing, etc. are things only few rap artists have ever done. I'm willing to doubt that the rapper in question has ever done this stuff (he rapped about it in the early days but wasn't serious, though that's another accusation by people who don't take the time to hear him out; that he's a pretender), but that doesn't mean a damn thing to any of his fellow artists or loyal fans, because they've taken the time to listen to his stuff and found that he's one of the most talented music artists to date. You can doubt that. You'd be wrong, but you could still doubt that.

Last edited by SamNMax; 07-17-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Really? How many Eminem songs have you heard? Probably just "My Name Is" and "The Real Slim Shady". If you took the time to listen to his better songs, you'd feel follish for posting that.You're making it sound like he doesn't write his own music, as well.
You don't have to be condescending, especially if I was still in middle school when Eminem made his premiere. And no I don't feel foolish at all because there is so much rap music out there that is better than Eminem and what they sell you on TV. Try listening to some rap music that isn't major record label oriented, rappers that don't have music videos to sell their image. You're bound to find some honesty there. (Except skip the Anticon label, yuck.)
Quote:
I'm a kid, and I've listened to the most foul, hardcore rap music out there. Strangly enough, they're all under things called "record lables". Every rap song ever released on a CD is "corporate". It's just that most rap artists have never done the things that they rap about. Killing, robbing, etc. are things only few rap artists have ever done. I'm willing to doubt that the rapper in question has ever done this stuff (he never said he has, though that's another accusation by people who don't take the time to hear him out; that he's a pretender), but that doesn't mean a damn thing to any of his fellow artists or loyal fans, because they've taken the time to listen to his stuff and found that he's one of the most talented music artists to date. You can doubt that. You'd be wrong, but you could still doubt that.
And as to saying I'm wrong and that every rap song is corporate, you're way off. And I didn't say every rap artist does rape and kill at all. That's how they are portrayed by the big business media because kids eat that stuff up and it helps their labels sell the same old idiosyncratic product. That's why its degrading (I think) to black people in general and a most artists are living a complete lie. Maybe you should do some research.
http://www.arancidamoeba.com/mrr/
Read that site, but skim the articles that don't apply.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #13
Epinionated.

Jurassic 5! YAY!
Old 07-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #14
SamNMax

"Big business" and the labels that put these artists out have nothing to do with how artists are portrayed. The artists make they're own image by writing they're songs and what kind of content they put in them. As I said, most rap artists rap all gangster, yet never done it. That's not the label's fault. If the artist thinks that he or she will sell better and create a cooler image of themselves by lying out of their asses, then it's they're choise. The record label can't tell them how to run they're music because they're not the ones writing it. But going after Eminem is invalid for a number of reasons. Namely, that you haven't given any examples of the songs you've heard that are by him. Not all of his songs are the same. Give me some to work with. His early days were really just his anger and warped sense of humor talking at that stage. Sure, he raised a ton of news coverage, but that was not his intention. He was rapping out of his own anger, but when everyone was on his balls, he finally got serious song together. I admired that and I'm glad to see him grow as an artist with much more serious music that should have driven all his critics off his back but said critics don't bother to listen to them (ie. Halie's Song, Solider, When the Music Stops, etc. (give these all a google and read the lyrics, please)).

But I digress. The feeling I'm getting from you is that you think that Eminem's label has portayed him into a hardcore killer and you don't like him because of "what the label did to him". Yep. You're right. Even though that his early record label was Aftermath Records, a haven for some of the best rappers around and owned by Dr. Dre. And then he went off to branch out of Aftermath and started Shady Records so he too could be big business and portray all of his fellow musicians into phonies, right?

Have you ever noticed how a lot of rappers say that they will never change? They mean it. If they don't like what the record label does, then they will feel obligated to leave and find a better one. Though a lot of rappers will try to destroy the genre with their lies, it won't die. The soul of it will always be there as long as there are people like Kanye West, Talib Kweli, and even people like Dr. Dre. I belive this whole heartedly. There are two things that will survive Earth's doom. Cockroaches and rap.

Last edited by SamNMax; 07-17-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
mag

Quote:
It's just that most rap artists have never done the things that they rap about. Killing, robbing, etc. are things only few rap artists have ever done. I'm willing to doubt that the rapper in question has ever done this stuff (he rapped about it in the early days but wasn't serious, though that's another accusation by people who don't take the time to hear him out; that he's a pretender), but that doesn't mean a damn thing to any of his fellow artists or loyal fans, because they've taken the time to listen to his stuff and found that he's one of the most talented music artists to date.
Yeah. It's a little hard for me to feel intimidated by a guy whose name is Marshall Bruce Mathers III.

And I think you're all overlooking the most important thing about Eminem's music: it sucks.

mag
Old 07-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
And I think you're all overlooking the most important thing about Eminem's music: it sucks.
You say that with such authority.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You say that with such authority.
Well, I have many years of experience listening to music that sucks. I'm something of an expert in the area. I recognize sucky music when I hear it.

mag
Old 07-17-2005, 05:37 PM   #18
merely human

Wot a coincidence, so do I!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #19
SamNMax

Once again, someone makes that accusation without hearing at least five of the artist in question's songs.

supposedly he's retiring, by the way.

Last edited by SamNMax; 07-17-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:36 AM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
"Big business" and the labels that put these artists out have nothing to do with how artists are portrayed.
The feeling I'm getting from you is that you think that Eminem's label has portayed him into a hardcore killer and you don't like him because of "what the label did to him". Yep. You're right.
Have you ever noticed how a lot of rappers say that they will never change? They mean it. If they don't like what the record label does, then they will feel obligated to leave and find a better one. Though a lot of rappers will try to destroy the genre with their lies, it won't die. The soul of it will always be there as long as there are people like Kanye West, Talib Kweli, and even people like Dr. Dre. I belive this whole heartedly. There are two things that will survive Earth's doom. Cockroaches and rap.
Look, I think you really don't have any idea of what goes on with major labels and the Clear Channel/MTV fiasco. Just read the website I gave you. I'm not going to wage a tired argument about Eminem. (If you want to know, I liked him when I was 12 about 8 years ago and heard the first major label CD the whole way through like a good little sheep.) He's just a stupid whitey to sell to other stupid whitey suburbanites to make them feel tough. I'm mostly referring to the way a mainstream black guy is portrayed because of major label rap music. That's my perception and it's probably true, sorry to say.

Also I would like to repeat to you to read that website.
Then maybe you can give some love to rappers who actually earn it: http://www.hieroglyphics.com/