You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General 25 To Life and Why I Will Support it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #41
merely human

I'm not 'formally' into rap, but I there have been a few rap or rap style groups I've gravitated to recently and in the past. I loved Diggable Planets back in the 90s, their great optimism and global friendly atmosphere conveyed in pretty lyrics. I loved Massive Attack's stuff, too. M.I.A.'s heavyhanded political sounds I'm also sweet on.

So yeah, mag, lighten up, will ya? The world's far too diverse and nuanced to generalize.

But I've helped this thread go off topic. Shall I just move it to Chit Chat?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #42
SamNMax

Nah.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #43
merely human

So, tell us about 25 To Life. What kind of game is it? What's the story?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #44
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
And honestly, this whole "if you make lots of money, you're a tool" thing is annoying. One doesn't have to be poor to make good art. Shakespeare wrote plays on commission for royalty, and Michelangelo didn't paint the Sistine Chapel for kicks. Great art can, and has, emerged from commercial environments and the desire to make some money. Music is music. Judge the product, not the process. Shutting out any music because of the budget spent on it (high or low) doesn't do yourself any favors.
You missed the point. It's not an artist's income or budget. If they are going to support what corporations are doing to music and still act like they have integrity, it's a problem. You should read that website also. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
As much as I don't like it, labels sign gangster rappers because they sell. But the truth is, I don't care if labels do this. Even if there are a few pretenders out there, it doesn't matter to me. I just like the genre because, well, I always had. Even in this age of white kids having to like punk and rock. Because there will always be room for great artists in the industry.
Still, the choice of the word "whitey" is still questionable.
I don't care if it's questionable... what are you going to do? Censor me? Everything you're talking about shows your sole narrow exposure to exactly what you are missing... and especially that you are in fact a suburbanite white kid looking for street cred. I know, 60% of my high school was people like you. And you're just being arrogant and defensive because of it. I'm not talking to you anymore, as you're completely ignorant, which I guess is understandable at your age. Again, read the website and don't just lie about it. Then get out there and find people who aren't making millions (billions for the corp.) and then tell me what you know. Maybe talk to some of these people, figure out why its wrong. See how major labels are turning the black man into their Uncle Tom. Underground rap music/hip-hop whatever can have so much ingenuity that it becomes no longer distinguished as a genre. (And I'm not talking about sissy fakes like OutKast.)

And if you guys are going to keep the same tired argument that major labels don't do anything to music or creativity in America just because there are a couple of artists on major labels that you think are distinguished and refined, then you are plain blind. And thanks to you in ten years there may not be any alternatives left. So keep it up, pedestrians.

Last edited by syntheticgerbil; 07-18-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #45
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Everything you're talking about shows your sole narrow exposure to exactly what you are missing. And you're just being arrogant and defensive because of it. I'm not talking to you anymore, as you're completely ignorant, which I guess is understandable at your age.
STOP IT!! You can counter argue Samsie's points all you want, but we will not tolerate that kind of immature mudslinging here. Do you understand?! I'm warning you, syntheticgerbil. Cut it out.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #46
SamNMax

Oh, boy. Another poster who's respect takes a hit because he can't hold up an arguement, so he just attacks the other guy with stupid name calling.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #47
Banned User

Quote:
Oh, boy. Another poster who's respect takes a hit because he can't hold up an arguement, so he just attacks the other guy with stupid name calling.
It's not name calling, it's a factor. It bears relationship. You are the major label's target audience.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #48
SamNMax

*Shrugs* I know it.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #49
merely human

Samsie, please don't nudge people on to be that way, either. It's how flame wars are perpetuated. Let's just stick to the original ideas and issues being discussed, okay?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #50
SamNMax

Nah. It's a dead thread. See ya.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:09 PM   #51
merely human

Since you and synthsie love each other so much, go get a room.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #52
SamNMax

That would make him a pedophile...

Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #53
merely human

Just make sure you take pictures so to have incriminating evidence.

Back on topic: You still haven't told me all about 25 To Life.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #54
Banned User

Well bottom line, I hope someone will at least read this website with care instead of judging me and learn something.
It is important to American life in many ways and things can only be changed with information.
I'd especially like this to be referred to people who are or have friends trying to break out in the music field and to be forewarned. The tactics get dirty out there.
http://www.arancidamoeba.com/mrr/

I'm out.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #55
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Back on topic: You still haven't told me all about 25 To Life.

I don't feel like explaining. Read.

(Available on multiplatforms, by the way)

Old 07-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #56
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Why don't you just go ahead and ban me then, asshole?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #57
SamNMax

That sealed the deal, I think.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #58
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Why don't you just go ahead and ban me then, asshole?
Hmmm, does this remind anyone of someone in particular from about half a year ago?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #59
SamNMax

Reminds me of someone from a couple months ago.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #60
Barroom hero

Quote:
Yes, racial. It's obvious that assholes who aren't even politicians are always lashing out against rap music, the "urban" style, etc. (I'm looking at you O' Riely. Ass.)
Rap is not THE urban style