You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Killer 7 review - old school adventure?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
OB

Default Killer 7 review - old school adventure?!

http://cube.ign.com/articles/630/630908p1.html

Quote:
Neo-noir adventure game designed exclusively for older players
Quote:
There's no doubt that people are going to be divided on Capcom's unpredictable, stylized and sometimes downright psychotic new adventure game, Killer 7. The title, from director Suda 51 (a man who incidentally wears a Mexican wrestler's mask in every photo we've seen of him), is a bizarre journey into a surreal world where nothing is exactly as it seems and profanity, sex and bloodshed are commonplace. This is a particularly difficult game to review because its Achilles heel is its awkward control setup, which feels archaic by today's standards. And yet, despite this issue we're confident that players who adore old-school adventure games like Myst and Snatcher will enjoy -- maybe even love -- Killer 7 for the very same reasons. Capcom has delivered a game with a bold vision and an intriguingly "out there" storyline that is bound to keep players guessing until the very end.
Quote:
Intertwined with the exploration aspects of Killer 7 are various puzzles, which revolve around both environments and the abilities of assassins. These challenges are for the most part original and engaging, with a few exceptions.
Quote:
We can't stress it enough: kids should not play Killer 7. Not just because there's an M on the box, but because for once that M really means something. There's much more than blood and guts in the game. Everything from the design of puzzles to the subject matter is designed for older players and it's really that simple.

Killer 7's storyline dabbles in terrorism, viruses, the illegal trafficking of children, the sale of harvested human organs, schizophrenia, and more. And Capcom has not pulled any punches in order to appease parents. The game is brutal. During cut-scenes, characters point-blank shoot innocent victims directly in their shocked faces, spraying blood in every direction. Heads are exploded and decapitated. Body parts fly in every direction. Just about every character has something eye-poppingly profane to say -- sometimes with racial implications. And there are cinematics that feature full-blown sex sequences.

Last edited by Orange Brat; 07-02-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Banned User

What!? It's a *)*#$#)&% shooter!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
OB

I thought so, too but it sounds more like an adventure with shooting included. It relies mostly on puzzle solving and the review comes right out and calls it an adventure that hardcore adventure fans will probably love and they even name drop Myst.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
merely human

Ah yes, I remember seeing news of this game as far as at least a couple years ago. I saw a trailer for it, a stylish looking cel shaded thriller. For now I'll move this to General Gaming, unless/until it's proven to be a 'consummate' adventure game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #5

All signs point to the game being excellent, but I think anyone looking for a traditional adventure might be disappointed. In GameInformer's review (yes, I know it's a terrible magazine, but I get it for free), they mention how the puzzles are completely braindead. Supposedly the game drops endless hints at you so you never really have to think. If that's true, I can't see the adventure aspects being reason for someone who hates action games to enjoy it. I will still be giving it a go though.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #6

Yeah. As someone who can't resist a good plot-driven video game (My favourite game of all time being Metal Gear Solid), I'll be sure to pick up Killer 7 as soon as I get un-broke.

The question is... Do I buy it for Gamecube, the system I haven't touched in months, or for my lovely PS2, which gets daily use? I'll probably get the Gamecube version, because even though it's on two discs, apparently the load times are better, and the controls are slightly better too (According to IGN, that is).
Old 07-03-2005, 03:08 AM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
All signs point to the game being excellent, but I think anyone looking for a traditional adventure might be disappointed. In GameInformer's review (yes, I know it's a terrible magazine, but I get it for free), they mention how the puzzles are completely braindead. Supposedly the game drops endless hints at you so you never really have to think. If that's true, I can't see the adventure aspects being reason for someone who hates action games to enjoy it. I will still be giving it a go though.
What?! Gameinformer rocks!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
OB

I've talked to one person who has played it, and they came right out and called it an adventure game, although yes it does have some action in it. I'll have to ask a friend of mine if he has it...I'll have to play it next time I'm over there if he does.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:11 AM   #9
Epinionated.

Edge magazine describes it more as an adventure game than action title too.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 AM   #10
capsized.

I swear I had not seen this, when I created the other thread.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
OB

Hell, I guess I missed your newer thread. I always bookmark any threads I create, so I suppose that explains it.

Perhaps, this is one of those oddball titles that is being marketed as a shooter, but in fact is more of an adventure than they are letting on? You know you can't market something as an adventure in this day and age unless you want to commit commercial suicide.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
You know you can't market something as an adventure in this day and age unless you want to commit commercial suicide.

It's simply a word that doesn't stand for much brilliance these days.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
What?! Gameinformer rocks!
Sure it does. As long as you enjoy magazines that gush endlessly about every single game they preview, have a horrible sense of humor, give high ratings to all but about two games a year, review their games based on high much Gamestop wishes to sell them, and exist purely to boost sales of games and membership cards at said store.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Hell, I guess I missed your newer thread. I always bookmark any threads I create, so I suppose that explains it.

Perhaps, this is one of those oddball titles that is being marketed as a shooter, but in fact is more of an adventure than they are letting on? You know you can't market something as an adventure in this day and age unless you want to commit commercial suicide.
It's simply a word that doesn't stand for much brilliance these days.
God, that is soooo fricking true it's not even funny.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

Quote:
Sounds pretty good, right? Well, it would be if the actual gameplay was any good. Here's where Killer 7 really stumbles. As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, this isn't a survival-horror game -- it's an adventure title with shooting segments. The problem is, the adventure bits are embarrassingly bad and the shooting bits grow tiresome after a couple stages.

Take, for instance, this brain teaser from early in the game. You come to a room containing five candles. In order to solve the "puzzle," you must light the candles in a specific order. But what's this? The candles all have numbers on them? Numbers one through five? What could the proper order be? Thank heaven for GameFAQs, or I never would have gotten past that puzzler.

But hey, that's an early puzzle. Surely things get tougher later in the game. Hahaha -- no. Remember Travis? The ghostly fella with the t-shirts? In one stage, you bump into him (he's now wearing a shirt that says "HUSTLE") and he shares some of his cryptic rhetoric with you. He also mentions that (and I'm paraphrasing here), "My shirt is the password." What an odd and vaguely clue-ish thing to say. Moments later, I stumble across a door that's locked and requires a six letter password to open. In case you are clueless enough to forget Travis' advice, there's another character standing next to the lock to remind you about the shirt-based password.
From Gamespy's Review.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:41 PM   #16
Epinionated.

Rofl!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 PM   #17

Killer 7 is an adventure in the same sense that Resident Evil (the original, not the sequels) is. Whatever genre you think RE falls into, you'll probably feel the same way about Killer 7.

Not to say they play the same. They don't. But it's about the same mix of exploration, combat and puzzles, and each element is about on the same level as RE.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
Killer 7 is an adventure in the same sense that Resident Evil (the original, not the sequels) is. Whatever genre you think RE falls into, you'll probably feel the same way about Killer 7.

Not to say they play the same. They don't. But it's about the same mix of exploration, combat and puzzles, and each element is about on the same level as RE.
I am currently playing this game, and absolutely LOVING it. It DOES have some old-school adventure elements. The puzzles are very adventure-ish. But is an action game at its core, and a brilliant one. I recommend it to anyone who likes alternative stuff. This is the gaming equivalent of a Takashi Miike film.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 AM   #19
BigRobot

I think those adventure gamers who dislike twitch-based gameplay, or action of any kind, for that matter, would get frustrated with this one. There is a learning curve, and there are many negative reviews from console gaming rags that couldn't adjust. Also, the puzzles are indeed very "dumb," as was already mentioned, and I think most adventure gamers would just grown.

If you're going into this game for the story, which is exactly how you should be approaching this game, don't expect anything remotely conventional. The game sort of jumps from one sub-plot to the next -- some seemingly have more relevancy to the big picture than others -- and very little effort is made to tie up loose ends. I personally didn't mind this, but the game's lack of character development did bother me. Only two or three of the Killer 7 actually play a part in the story, and maybe only four of them actually have substantial speaking parts.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #20
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I love the game, but it's definetely not for everyone. Unlike 95% of the people who've played it, I really like the gameplay. It's different, and I find it really addictive. Combine that with some really inspired art and characters, an original storyline, and some of the best music I've heard in a long time, Killer 7 is a game I don't regret buying at all.

But I seem to be in a small minority of people who like it, so I'd suggest people might want to rent first.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing