You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your videogame childhood to adulthood trip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Your videogame childhood to adulthood trip

I started with an Atari 2600

and the old Game and watches

Then I bought a Commodore 64, a mini-computer from germany, that played games from a cassette player
and afterwards I bought a Floppy drive for it, which was more expensive back then than the price of the whole commodore

In 94 I bought my first PC, a 486 DX2 with 4 MB of RAM and a small floppy hard drive. 4 MB of RAM back then was waaaay too much, and CD Roms were almost non existent. I've been playing PC gaming for the last 9 years, till I finally bought a PS2] and an XBOX

That is my brief (20 year old history), of gaming. What's yours?

Firefox rules
Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

My brother had a Commodore Vic 20 with a cassette player that our father bought him in the mid 80's, I think. That was the first gaming experience I got. Then in late 80's he got a brand new Commodore 128 with a floppy drive. We took the cassette player from Vic and used it with the 128.

Next he sold the 128 away and got the newest thing on the block when it was red hot, Commodore Amiga 500. That was the best machine for gaming I've ever experienced. Then my brother stopped playing computer games and he gave me his Amiga. That was my first machine that I myself owned.

In 1995 I bought my first PC, a used 486 33Mhz DX2 with 8Mb of RAM, it had an old 5.25" drive and a modern 3.5" drive. The 5.25" was quite useless, there were no new games anymore that used those discs. In 1996 or so I bought a 5x cd-rom drive for it so that I could experience all the new CD games that were coming out.

Later I bought a brand new Compaq Pentium 200Mhz that was way overpriced. I've also had several Sega consoles, but the only one that I had in the early 90's was MegaDrive. Only a few years ago I started collecting other Sega consoles like 32x, Saturn and Dreamcast
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I started with an Atari 2600

and the old Game and watches

Then I bought a Commodore 64, a mini-computer from germany, that played games from a cassette player
and afterwards I bought a Floppy drive for it, which was more expensive back then than the price of the whole commodore

In 94 I bought my first PC, a 486 DX2 with 4 MB of RAM and a small floppy hard drive. 4 MB of RAM back then was waaaay too much, and CD Roms were almost non existent. I've been playing PC gaming for the last 9 years, till I finally bought a PS2] and an XBOX

That is my brief (20 year old history), of gaming. What's yours?
Me too!!! The same exact one! Seperated at birth?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Me too!!! The same exact one! Seperated at birth?
Yeah, I grew up to be the decent standard citizen in the family. You turned out to be a pron star.

Firefox rules
Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Yeah, I grew up to be the decent standard citizen in the family. You turned out to be a pron star.
So? I'm a fat, ugly, hairy dude who gets his hands on more bumper than an autoshop, is that so wrong? In fact, it's the American dream!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
capsized.

ca. 1987: Schneider Amstrad CPC 6128. Came with a whopping 128 KB of memory, a disk drive and a green monitor. Funded mostly by my parent's money. Hey, me and my brother were like 8 and 4 years old.

We didn't have a printer, though.

ca. 1990: A Gameboy. You know it.

ca. 1991: A C64. A little late to the show, hu? You're right. But my first machine's disk drive was broken and there were more games,.. I mean there was more *software* () available for Commodore's 8bit wonder anyway.

ca. 1992: An Amiga 500. Yes, that's right. All my friends had one at that time, so I jumped the bandwagon, too. And never felt any regret.

ca. 1994: My first PC. A 386DX40 Mhz with 8MB RAM and a 170 MB hard disk. Dos 5.0, Win 3.1,... I've upgraded that thing every now and then. The disk drive is still in use today. But everything else is long since gone. Don't quote me on that, there might be some cables that are still in use. Who knows..

Oh, and I remember that me and my brother once bought a Super Nintendo (Super Famicon in the US). But that was shortly before Nintendo's 64bit machine was released, so we never really got into that console.

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-30-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Oh, and I remember that me and my brother once bought a Super Nintendo (Super Famicon in the US). But that was shortly before Nintendo's 64bit machine was released, so we never really got into that console.
you missed out on the single most greatest invention ever.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 06-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #8

I started with the original Pong console that played 4 different variants of Pong. What excitement! Then graduated to the Intellivision console. Then came the NES, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Lynx, Sega Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, X-Box.

Computer wise I grew up with an AppleIIe. I was always jealous of my friend who had the AppleIIgs.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz
I started with the original Pong console that played 4 different variants of Pong. What excitement! Then graduated to the Intellivision console. Then came the NES, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Lynx, Sega Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, X-Box.

Computer wise I grew up with an AppleIIe. I was always jealous of my friend who had the AppleIIgs.
Wow you were actually an owner of the Lynx By the way, why did you go through a stage where you missed on the SNES and the N64?

Firefox rules
Old 06-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13

I had Street Fighter 2 for my Amiga. Oh, and we actually had some really great SNES games. Like Donkey Kong Country, Secret Of Mana, FIFA Soccer, Mario, Secret Of Evermore,... And all I have to do nowadays is to start my emulator-thingie.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13

Nothing beats playing Street Fighter 2 in the arcades. I used to go after school to the arcades every day to play SF2 against random people there, and then whoever loses gets kicked off to wait in line again for the next match. Good times

Firefox rules
Old 06-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #12
Remedial Member

Send a message via MSN to Hawker Typhoon

Started with an Apple IIc when I was really young (literally 1 year old). There were a ton of games for it.

Only had the small monochrome (green) screen for it.

My best friend had an Intellivision, so I played that a lot.

I got an NES in '91 I believe. I got a Gameboy at some point. Those were really the only platforms I ever owned, because after that I was only into PC games.

First PC was in '88 or '89. I'd never be able to recall the specs on it because I was only 5 or 6. Better PCs came along over time.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #13
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Well, we always had computers in our house. Most of them were downstairs, in the office of my father, but we had the AMIGA 500 upstairs (in my middle sister's and my room). Actually it was my mother's computer, for her to work on, but she never used it to my knowledge. So we played on the computer, and sometimes we would claim one of the computers in the office as ours. The computer we always claimed was hidden in the back left corner of the office, standing right beside a nearly ceiling high metal shelf. That corner never gets direct sunlight, so we had to turn on most of the office lighting. The computer has since been moved to the storage room behind the office, where it is surely having retirement parties with the other old machines (we have a stack of old keyboards, which still have spiral cords and plugs that are double the size of modern keyboard plugs).

On that computer we played things like "Alley Cat" (with amazing 4 colours!) and "Winter Sports" (with quite a lot more games). Later, we aquired a copy of the then popular "Hugo" game, known from television (nobody could beat me at the train game!). Also, there was a game in windows called "Chips" or "Chips'n'Bits", I think. There were several levels, and you had to collect computer chips.

I plan on getting out that old computer, once we tidied up the Ikebana room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I've upgraded that thing every now and then. The disk drive is still in use today. But everything else is long since gone. Don't quote me on that, there might be some cables that are still in use. Who knows..
So, you didn't actually upgrade your old PC as you said, but built a new home for your Disc Drive.

By the way, you wouldn't mind giving me your copy of "Ambermoon", would you.

...kidding...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #14
Epinionated.

My computer past is long and fluctuating with tremendous peaks and troughs. I shall not burden you with my story, but instead write a haiku -

C64,
Acorn not are you -
PC better.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Our first family PC was bought in 1995, a 486SX 33 Mhz with 4 Mb in RAM without CD and a HD of 250 Mbs. I have played computer games since then.

I didn't own any console before that. My gaming childhood can be resumed in the few hours I got to play in the school computer (yes, one computer) and with friends and cousins in their consoles, usually only NES and a Sega Genesis.

Oh, and my first and only console is still the Xbox
Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #16
gin soaked boy

I was 6 or 7 when a cousin who's been living with us at the time bought a Commodore 64. I've never seen a computer before and I got instantly hooked.

Shortly after that he moved away to go to college so he left it to me (he took it back a couple of years ago, but it's broken now anyway ). However, by then I've slowly started losing my interest. Luckily, my neighbour had an Atari 2600 so I'd spend days at his place playing games like Yar's Revenge, Missile Command, Kangaroo, Asterix... At the same time, my other cousin had a cheap faux NES clone (you know, "1000 built-in games" kind of thing with 1000 games actually being endless variations of maybe a dozen titles) so I'd go there from time to time and enjoy some Super Mario Brothers and Contra.

The next big thing for me was discovering the arcades. I've spent enormous sums of money in those places, but I also had great fun. It was a completely different experience than sitting at home playing games all on your own or with a friend or two.

When I was 13 I met this guy at school and soon we became really good friends. We both wanted an Amiga so bad, but none of us ever got one
Anyway, it was around that time that my C64 cousin got back from college, got himself a separate apartment and a PC, a 386DX running at whopping 40MHz, with black and white monitor and no sound card. One day I came to visit him so he showed me some games. I remember playing Xenon 2, Prehistorik and some stupid Windows game that produced the most incredible music I've ever heard coming from a standard PC speaker. We played around with it for some time, but then he had to go to town so he loaded this game to keep me occupied for a couple of hours, a game unlike anything I've ever seen. It was The Secret of Monkey Island.

To make a long and boring story short and boring, soon that friend got a PC of his own and I got mine at the beginning of 1995. I got stuck with that piece of junk til last June. I'm talking about PC here, not my friend, I got rid of him long before that
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #17
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
So, you didn't actually upgrade your old PC as you said, but built a new home for your Disc Drive.

And it's a lot warmer now for the poor, little drive-thingiewingie, so he/she/it??'ll never get a cold.

Ah, Ambermoon. I'm gonna to tell you something: A friend of mine lent me his copy back in the long summer of, uh, '94. But the download at the Thalion webshrine (see link in the other thread) is completely legal, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
C64,
Acorn not are you -
PC better.
You're such an artist through and through!
Old 06-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Hmm.... let me think.

ZX81 in... 1981
I was only knee-high to a grasshopper back then, so don't remember much about it except you really couldn't get more rubbery keys than the ones on this absolute beast of a computer, with its 16k of RAM.

Spectrum 48k 1984
I learnt how to spell on that!

C64 - 1988
Xmas present for my brother and myself.

Gameboy - 1990
Xmas present.

First PC (a 386SX 16Mhz - with Turbo button (or it'd run at 8Mhz) and 2MB RAM) - 1991
I had to be persuaded to let my mum get the PC, since I wasn't convinced that I'd be able to do anything with it and that PC's had no future. How naive an 11 year old was I? (Though they were going to get us a 286 at first, which wouldn't have been as useful).

Second PC (P150) - 1996
Moving-house present and a vast improvement over the first PC.

Third PC (Duron 750Mhz) - 2000
Needed something to do my uni work on since my brother had taken firm hold of the other PC after I moved away from home.

Third PC turned into Fourth PC (Athlon 3200+) - 2004
PC was showing its age, and needed a boost into the 21st century - and I can see it needing another one soon.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #19
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I got a ZX81 for xmas when I was 10 or 11 - it was a cool machine with a whopping 4k of memory. There was an add-on you could get which bumped the memory up to ................ wait for it .............. 16k!!

At the time it was incredibly innovative and was the best home computer you could buy - probably because it was the only one available
A few years later (and another xmas prezzie) I got a Commodore 64 - the best computer around - a million times better than the crappy Sinclair Spectrum

After that came an Amiga 500, then the 1200, probably around 1993ish?

For some reason I then drifted towards consoles and bought a Sega Master System and then a Mega-Drive which I had for a good few years.

Next came a PS1, then my first PC in 1997, followed by a PS2 and then my latest PC which I bought a year ago

God, what a boring story
Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #20
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I was a bit late to the party.
1982: Most of the people I went to school with were into Centipede, Galaga, or Ms Pacman, but these games bored me no end.
1984: My Stepdad bought a Timex Sinclair computer, and after days on end of entering lines of code, he proudly showed me about a minute of the lamest, jerkiest, black and white animation I'd ever seen. Um...no thanks.
Flash forward ten years to 1994: Two friends of mine that were taking web design at Savannah College of Art and Design showed me "Myst" on a Macintosh IIvx. Such a stunningly visual game! Such a user-friendly interface! A mouse to point to things instead of wonky DOS prompts! Computers and the games for them had come a long way in ten years!
1998: I shame a friend of mine who was extensively trained in the graphics field into buying a used Mac (a IIci) and getting back into computing after a six year hiatus. When he gets a newer, faster Mac, he gives me his old one with the simple instruction "Play with it, and learn how it works".
1999: I buy my first used computer, a PowerMac 6100, and my own used copy of "Myst".
October, 2004: Over a hundred used computers and numerous used computer games later, I go online for the first time.
The rest is history.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3