You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your videogame childhood to adulthood trip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #21
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

In 1986 I bought my first PC - AT&T 8086, dual floppy drives, no hard drive, green tone monitor. I was going to write a book! Not only was I terrible at it, I hated doing it! Began to play with programming and games - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was my first - and no, I couldn't finish it. Went to computer school, became an IBM 360 Assembler/Cobol programmer. Taught one semester at the school, then worked at an insurance company programming, first on mainframe, then PC for 3 years. This was when Windows 3.1 came out. Hated working with a mouse, preferred using DOS - was still playing DOS games at home - Hugo's, several others.

Got online in '98, played online games, met a guy I later moved in with here in Florida (came from Boston). In 2001, bought Beyond Atlantis - fell in love with Adv games, roomy bought me TLJ, and taught me about consoles. We got a Dreamcast and PS1, later an Xbox and PS2. Currently have a broken XP and an old win98se, and over 140 adv games.

Lynsie
Old 07-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #22
Squeaky

ca 1982: Astro Wars!!!!

ca 1984: BBC B+ Micro

ca 1986(?): Mario's Cement Factory!!!

ca 1990: Sega Master System II (long live 8-bit Sonic 2 and Speedball 2!)
ca 1992: Sega Mega Drive (Genesis for those in the States)
ca 1994: 486DX66
1999: Pentium2 350MHz
2004: Athlon3200+

By the way, I'm not too sure about the childhood to adulthood thing. I think I'm still well and truly stuck in the former .

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 07-01-2005 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #23
Party On Dudes

1994: SNES> i began my game playing life with my favourite platformer Super Mario World. Later moved on to Donkey Kong Country, SFIITurbo, MK3, and loads of amazing games. this is one of the best consoles ever.

1998: N64> on my 11th birthday i had pneumonia, nearly died but got Glodeneye as compensation. it so SOOOOOO worth living for! it's the best first person shooter eva. other classics such as Perfect Dark, WWF No Mercy, Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Ocarina of Time, etc, followed after that. i thought that the SNES was a lot more satisfying at the time of it's prime.

2000: Sony Playstation> secong hand and a piece of junk. MGS is the best game i ever played on this crap.

Quite some thime later: PS2> started off with GTA3, MGS2 , oh boy do i love these games. quite a few GOOD titles but nothing special, also it died out on me and i had to buy a new one just to play MGS3 recently. but it didn't die on me recently no sir, it was a year after i bought this cheap first hand crap. [i hope Glenn Epic feels the way i do about Metal Gear Solid games..]

After that: GC, Xbox> Super Mario Sunshine, Counter Strike, Windwaker, Doom 3, Spiderman 2, and other games. not really too bad maybe because of the good ar** graphics.

am i the only one who has gotten more dissapointed over the years? like samiamsad said about emulators my friend has chipped xbox and on one cd is all the old classic games. i was playing it for hours, you can't beat the old sega and nintendo games.

In between or after: GB Colour, GBA SP, N.DS, (anything else is forgotten or hidden in a cupboard)> handhelds are cool but only the more recent ones are any good. DS is my favourite console in the entire world, it's like an NG4 and SNES in the palm of my hand.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 07-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Wow you were actually an owner of the Lynx By the way, why did you go through a stage where you missed on the SNES and the N64?
Don't be hating on the Lynx now. I thought it was a sweet handheld. I missed out on the SNES cause I was just about in college when the Genesis/SNES came out and had to make a choice. I was too poor to have both. The N64 never interested me all that much as I thought the cd format was way better. The video game company I worked at the time had one though, so I did play a few of it's better offering like Mario 64, Starfox 64, and Turok. I may try to pick up a used one off ebay sometime down the road.

I had a serious Street Fighter 2 addiction. With all the quarters I've pumped into it, I have no doubt I could have bought one outright. Heck, I was even one of those losers who played in some tournaments! I did good though, placed first and third in the two I played in.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #25
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
on my 11th birthday i had pneumonia, nearly died but got Glodeneye as compensation
Sounds nasty - wouldn't call that compensation LOL.
Quote:
am i the only one who has gotten more dissapointed over the years? like samiamsad said about emulators my friend has chipped xbox and on one cd is all the old classic games. i was playing it for hours, you can't beat the old sega and nintendo games.
Wouldn't say I'm totally disappointed with new games but I looove playing the old stuff. I got myself a Sega MS2 emulator last year and played all my old games (it's legal if I still own them, right?) Sonic 2 and Speedball 2 brought tears to my eyes.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #26
SamNMax

Not much to tell for me.

1991:

NES & SNES

1995:
An early Acer computer with Windows 95. The biggest piece of crap ever sold on the market.

1996:

N64

1998:
A custom-made Emachine with Windows 98. The second biggest piece of crap on the market.

2000:

PS2

2001:

Xbox, Gamecube

And about 11 Gameboys, PSP, and DS. All of which I don't want to list.

Old 07-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #27

very little: 'dad i want to go to the coin-ops again!!' 'wow, look a computer there!!' 'dad i want one!' 'dad, will we go to the cousin with the computer?'
1987: I learn about a game called Larry, quite different to the platform arcades i knew so far
1988: some good guys give to me their old comp: amstrad 464. Games there, and programming (elementary), or copying programs from books
1989: Amiga 500. I return Amstrad to its initial owners.
1990-1: I learn that Larry belongs to a genre called 'adventure', with which i fall in love
1992: I buy an Atari Lynx. Everyone had GameBoy, I wasn't everyone. Too bad it was shortlived.
1993: 32 colours seem too few, and Amiga too slow for adventures (Indiana Jones 4 had 11 disks!). My first PC
after: well, upgrades now and then, new games, new pcs, new hardware etc
1999: i discover the internet. Look! There are some geeks interested in old games, and curious than all: old games music!!