You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Kid - for fans of Silent Hill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
OB

Default The Kid - for fans of Silent Hill

http://www.thekidgame.com/forum/

You can find screens in the appropriate forum section. There are also some Flash movies and maybe some music samples hiding around there somewhere, too.

It's a horror game and most certainly influenced by Silent Hill. A team working with 3D Gamestudio is working on it, and I am a beta tester. It's still very early in production, so it's a little rough around the edges, but I can foresee it turning out nicely if they can successfully put all the pieces together.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Hmmm...that's pretty cool. I'm going to have to keep my eyes on this one. It can hold me over until SH5.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Banned User

This has copyright infringement written all over it.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
merely human

The..........The Kid?

I have to agree with tempsie on this one. It looks like an unabashed ripoff of the first Silent Hill, complete with rusty pipe weapon and Harry Mason's leather jacket. And then that title....WTF. It sounds more like a comedy about some divorced dad having to come to terms with....... oh, never mind.

I dunno, I hope the story is at least rather original and the gameplay unexpected.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-29-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

I have to agree with tempsie on this one.
God forbid
Old 06-29-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
merely human

Oh shut up. Enjoy it while you can.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
OB

Don't worry the final game is going to be its own beast. In fact, the lead programmer just made a huge post over on the forum and said it started out as a bunch of Silent Hills fans trying to emulate that game but is going to be revamped and turned into something else. He even posted the 0.7 beta which is the last thing I ever tested. Like I said it's very rough and is something the public is usually not supposed to see, but he makes mention of it and calls it the worst beta ever.

Get it here: http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads...106#Post536050

Quote:
I did not make this decision lighty, because Beta 0.7 is nothing close to what the final demo will be, but what the hey. We are currently reworking everything from what was once Silent Hill fans trying to emulate that game into making it a very unique game. Beta 0.7 however, reflects none of this, and is only somewhat functionable in my opinion with high-end machines. I just got done with harvest and planting and need data from somehwere to get the ball rolling again in the right direction. This might also be informative to other 3DSG users trying to make large/complex games. This is more for developers than it is for The kID game, because there is little reason for me to release the the game at this beta stage other to explain to the 3DGS communities the current issues we are facing.

Last edited by Orange Brat; 07-02-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #8

Just looked at the game! It looks really scary and not something that you want to play on your own! I mean I can't stand playing obscure on my own and that doesnt look as scary as this one! I have the game silent hill, but i havent played it yet! I shall give it a try and than maybe i can persuade SCRUGAtes to play The KID with me when it comes out!

Although he will prob be scared as well lol
Old 07-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #9
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyGal
Just looked at the game! It looks really scary and not something that you want to play on your own! I mean I can't stand playing obscure on my own and that doesnt look as scary as this one! I have the game silent hill, but i havent played it yet! I shall give it a try and than maybe i can persuade SCRUGAtes to play The KID with me when it comes out!

Although he will prob be scared as well lol
You guys totally ****.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
merely human

Quote:
I have the game silent hill, but i havent played it yet!
Which one do you have?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
You guys totally ****.
Do you mean in a bad way????

Old 07-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Do you mean in a bad way????

Depends on what you mean by "bad."
Old 07-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #13

I mean if you meant it in a meanish way or if it was a good way! I know it aint bad! You guys on here are wicked
Old 07-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
I mean if you meant it in a meanish way or if it was a good way! I know it aint bad! You guys on here are wicked
I meant it in the ol' makin' the two backed beast kind of way. Ya know, bumping uglies?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #15
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I meant it in the ol' makin' the two backed beast kind of way. Ya know, bumping uglies?
Did you ever ask your dad as a young child "Daddy, what am I?"

Because I figure that you would have
Old 07-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #16
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
Did you ever ask your dad as a young child "Daddy, what am I?"

Because I figure that you would have
Errr...no...why would I?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:43 AM   #17
merely human

*ahem*

So what exactly are the things to make The Kid quite distinct from the Silent Hill games?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #18
use post with thread

Send a message via AIM to Robin

Looking at the screenshots got me interested in this one, since a lot of them borderline on professional. I'm all for more games like silent hill. One minor problem though...

AAGH NO COMIC SANS. NO!
Seriously, that typography has to be the mood kill-o-matic 5000. I hope they change it 8(

But yeah, pretty looking game so far.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #19
merely human

Yep, they don't call it Comic Sans for nothing.

Also, that title is atrocious! The Kid sounds like a comedy, not horror. I think, for example, The Child, done in proper font, would have a more chilling atmosphere.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #20
OB

I dunno what they have up their sleeve. According to the long post in that thread, they are going to move beyond the SH factor, but I think they'd have to start over given it is so close visually.

I don't have a problem with the title. The Kid sounds ominous if the proper context is provided. I think a "story" demo is planned(see thread), so I guess we'll have to wait and see. The currently beta is just that...a buggy beta full of incomplete level/texture work, a temp player model(I think) and everything else you can think of with the word beta.