Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Doom 3: Scary? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/8705-doom-3-scary.html)

SakSquash 06-15-2005 02:04 PM

Doom 3: Scary?

I know a lot of people huff and puff about this game, and say blah blah it's not scary. But I think it's pretty scary. Not the most i've ever played, but I've jumped quite a few times so far. So, what say ye?

SamNMax 06-15-2005 02:14 PM

Nein.

SakSquash 06-15-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamNMax
Nein.

Oh c'mon! Are you telling me you didn't jump once?!

SamNMax 06-15-2005 02:39 PM

Nein.

But, I did find the game really fun. That's what it's supposed to be, right?

SakSquash 06-15-2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamNMax
Nein.

But, I did find the game really fun. That's what it's supposed to be, right?

Yes mam.

squarejawhero 06-15-2005 02:45 PM

It didn't scare me, but all those jumps do get unnerving after a while.

Once A Villain 06-15-2005 03:18 PM

Not scary whatsoever. Fun early on, boring for the last 10 hours...but not scary.

SakSquash 06-15-2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Not scary whatsoever. Fun early on, boring for the last 10 hours...but not scary.

Lies! All lies!

SamNMax 06-15-2005 03:43 PM

I agree.

samIamsad 06-15-2005 06:10 PM

The beginning is okay in that department, but soon after it gets absolutely predictable, repetitive and boring. It has its moments, like that zombie hanging from the ceiling, guts wide open, moaning... Gosh, was getting to Hell disappointing.

sethsez 06-15-2005 06:36 PM

Depends. I think it creates a great atmosphere, and there's a palpable feeling of dread... but I never jumped or was afraid to continue on.

This is one game that was really helped on the Xbox for me, though. Playing it on a big screen with 5.1 DD really changes it.

Once A Villain 06-15-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsez
This is one game that was really helped on the Xbox for me, though. Playing it on a big screen with 5.1 DD really changes it.

Hey now...I played Doom 3 PC version in my theater room with DD 5.1. Heh. Just because it's on PC doesn't stop me from using the big screen and the fancy sound. Frankly, it looked a lot better too, even though the XBox version is, for XBox, quite an achievement.

sethsez 06-15-2005 09:56 PM

Well, I also prefer the Xbox version because it cut out a lot of the fat and really improved the pacing IMO.

Once A Villain 06-15-2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsez
Well, I also prefer the Xbox version because it cut out a lot of the fat and really improved the pacing IMO.

Yeah true.

Kolorabi 06-15-2005 11:36 PM

I thought it was very scary in the beginning, but it didn't really take long before it started getting predictable and frustrating instead of scary. I remember playing the PC version of The Suffering shortly after Doom 3, and found that much more scary, as it actually tried to do different things to scare me instead of just repeating the same trick over and over (and over and over) again.

Kolzig 06-16-2005 12:23 AM

I enjoyed playing the game for all the 20 hours of it and I got everything out of the game just like I had expected before it's release. A good game, I say.

samIamsad 06-16-2005 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I remember playing the PC version of The Suffering shortly after Doom 3, and found that much more scary, as it actually tried to do different things to scare me instead of just repeating the same trick over and over (and over and over) again.

Hey, Kolorabi, what's The Suffering? :) I'm a scary games buff. Anyone played Cold Fear? Is it worth it?

100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja 06-16-2005 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
Hey, Kolorabi, what's The Suffering? :) I'm a scary games buff. Anyone played Cold Fear? Is it worth it?

The Suffering. It's a really good game, though it had some weird bugs (don't know if they fixed it). Definitely more scary than Doom3, which I found rather boring. Also respawning enemies can't really give you a good scare. :)

Shodan 06-16-2005 03:27 AM

The Suffering is an excellent game.

But as far as scariness goes, there's only two games that have ever creeped the shit out of me: Silent Hill 2 and Clive Barker's Undying. Anyone played the latter? It doesn't get anywhere near enough love. :\

Catbert 06-16-2005 04:13 AM

First 20 minutes is scary, then a lot of parts are not. Some parts, spaced in between and episodical, can be real scary too, like the hell part when you find the PDA of a dead scientist or when you hear a laugh and see a dead body start flying around. If you want real scaryness from it, play in Nightmare.