You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Iconoclast

Default Half Life 2

I'm about half way through if I were to take a guess. I'm on the buggy with the ant lions.

For once I have nothing to complain about. There is this strange feeling I haven't felt in quite some time...

Could it be?

Fun???

Is that what it's called?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
OUATIJ Creator

ha ha, yes...fun for sure. Half-Life 2 is excellent.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Half life 2 is my favorite game of last year

Firefox rules
Old 06-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

That's probably what most human organisms refer to as fun, yeah.

Get used to it, cause Half-Life 2 is loaded with it.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
My thoughts exactly. Last year belonged to Half-Life 2, it provided an amazing gaming experience. This year belongs to Psychonauts, of course
Old 06-07-2005, 12:48 AM   #6

yea im playing first time too, i'm guessing im halfway through the ravenholm episode. its scary, but good. the game is amazing though i played last night after i got home from work and 3 hours disapeared like wha..
Old 06-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
It's my favorite game of the last few years. Although I guess I should wait until I finish to say that.

I just LOVE the 9mm. Accurate and fires fast as Hell. I haven't had that much fun with a pistol since I Lone Wolf'ed Rogue Spear single player with just a silenced one. (I admit I broke a keyboard in frustration on one certain level doing that though)

Being a Horror Slut(TM), Ravenholm just rocked to me. The atmosphere was awesome. It felt like a mini Survival Horror game. I have a feeling it will wind up being my favorite part because of my bias towards that stuff.

Despite my criticism of the difficulty of VTM: Bloodlines, I still liked that game a lot too, so everything HL2 engined is good to me so far.

I'm playing at 1600x1200 with 6XFSAA and 16XAF. Holy crap! It's times like this that I don't regret selling my kidney for my SLI rig...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:39 AM   #8

I'm playing at 1600x1200 with 6XFSAA and 16XAF. Holy crap! It's times like this that I don't regret selling my kidney for my SLI rig...

lol wow, you must have one hell of a system
SLI rig?

and i played last night for about 4 hours, stopped as i just got to nova prospek
Old 06-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #9

I own Half-Life 2, also, guys. I've thought of playing it, but I want to wait until I upgrade my computer. I'm doing my best to save my money, which is why I haven't bought any new games lately. Recently, I asked my dad how much it was for upgrading my computer from a Pentium III 600, to a AMD ATHLON 1.3 ghz, and he said it was about a couple hundred dollars (200.00)

The positive responses I've read about this game so far is very encouraging, and I look forward to playing someday. Keep my hopes up, guys, PLEASE!.

P.S. By the way, I never finished the first game because I found it too tough. Thought you should know that.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
merely human

Zack, do spend a little more to get a more powerful processor. 1.3GHz won't cut it for you for the next couple years or so with newer games (including adventure games) coming. I currently have a 1.2GHz Athlon with a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 and a Soundblaster Live 5.1, and I plan on upgrading to at least 3GHz of P4 or Athlon, 1 gig of RAM, and some kind of current ATI card in the next couple months.

I have HL2 but am not playing it atm because I can't take advantage of all its graphical goodness on my wimpy machine.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #11
Epinionated.

I'm waiting til the end of the year.

Athlon XP3000+
Asus Geforce N6600 GT
Asus A7v8x rev 1.4
1GHZ pc2700DDR
Audigy 2
Old 06-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
P.S. By the way, I never finished the first game because I found it too tough. Thought you should know that.
As someone who also never completed the original Half-Life, I didn't find the sequel that hard. There were a couple of moments, but otherwise I'd say they pitched the difficulty about right.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:45 AM   #13

yea first one was harder, i didn't think the first one was that hard though?
i managed to complete it easy enough.

and i don't consider myself an expert.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:37 AM   #14
OUATIJ Creator

Just making sure...we are talking about the Hard difficulty setting in both games, right?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-Z
yea first one was harder, i didn't think the first one was that hard though?
i managed to complete it easy enough.

and i don't consider myself an expert.
HL2 was pretty clear. The game was pretty linear and it was clear what you needed to do. The exception for me was in the zombie town. I needed the walkthrough to find a way out of there. Pretty cool game, particularly the ending.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Just making sure...we are talking about the Hard difficulty setting in both games, right?
no the normal setting i guess, why you ask anyway...he said he hadn't finished one..
Old 06-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #17
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycomb
HL2 was pretty clear. The game was pretty linear and it was clear what you needed to do. The exception for me was in the zombie town. I needed the walkthrough to find a way out of there. Pretty cool game, particularly the ending.
I didn't have a problem at all with Ravenholm, but yeah, it was almost labyrinthine in its level design. I actually thought that was part of its brilliance, because it added to the terror of having to find your way around while fending off nasties. I realized the key - look for open windows, doorways, walkable planks, and machine contraptions and you'll soon get out of there.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #18
Banned User

I'm waiting for my X800XL card to arrive before I pick up HL2.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #19
Iconoclast

I haven't had the time to play all week, but I just wanted to add some things to why HL2 kicks butt.

The big one is that the camera is never taken away from you for some stupid cutscene.

Another is the almost complete lack of music. I find that music ruins the immersion in first person games. It is too bad that Valve didn't go all the way on that though. On the occasions when there IS music, it becomes really apparent how out of place it is in such a hyper-realistic world. Give me gritty realism over cinematic nonsense any day. I hope they have the balls to drop it altogether in the future.

It is really apparent that Valve understands what gaming IS and what it is meant to be.

[Wonders if I am about to be assaulted by relentless battle music and a passive cutscene now that I have opened my mouth..]
Old 06-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
I haven't had the time to play all week, but I just wanted to add some things to why HL2 kicks butt.

The big one is that the camera is never taken away from you for some stupid cutscene.

Another is the almost complete lack of music. I find that music ruins the immersion in first person games. It is too bad that Valve didn't go all the way on that though. On the occasions when there IS music, it becomes really apparent how out of place it is in such a hyper-realistic world. Give me gritty realism over cinematic nonsense any day. I hope they have the balls to drop it altogether in the future.

It is really apparent that Valve understands what gaming IS and what it is meant to be.

[Wonders if I am about to be assaulted by relentless battle music and a passive cutscene now that I have opened my mouth..]
Oh man, i'm so with you on that. Whured up.