You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Are next generation games worth $60?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard
Default Are next generation games worth $60?

If anyone has looked over at www.ebgames.com, they have a bunch of PS3 and Xbox360 games up for pre-order at $60 each. A while back there was speculation that next gen titles would cost more. Do you think the price increase is necessary for production costs and what not, or is it just distributors/publishers getting greedy?

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 05-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I think even $50 is too much for most of the crap that gets put out there. There are a few games that might be worth $60, but they damn well better give me something extra that I didn't get when I was spending $10-20 less.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #3
gin soaked boy

I don't think graphical/physics advancements alone are worth the price increase. If the next generation of games really introduces radically new gameplay or design concepts, different methods of control (still waiting on that revolutionary thing about Revolution) and a much more advanced AI, then maybe. Otherwise, no way. But I rarely buy games at full price anyway, so it doesn't bother me that much.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:17 AM   #4
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

With all the prices going up, I'm debating whether or not I should even get a next-generation console. The main reason I would even want one would just be for Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid anyway.

I understand that the technology required to make this stuff is getting more expensive. But if you ask me, they should just slow down and stick with what they've already got until they can make those more technologically advanced games for less money. Video games cost too much as it is. And their target audience isn't exactly the wealthiest group of people in the world. I suspect the console gaming market will be losing quite a few customers in the next generation.

mag
Old 05-22-2005, 07:08 AM   #5
delusions of adequacy

Looking at what developers make per unit on current gen games I'm inclined to believe most of that 10 will be in the publishers and retailers pocket.

But having said that, its natural for them to try and charge more for a higher quality product. That's market forces. Whether it succeeds or not depends on how much the average consumer is willing to pay. Its just unfortunate that the people who're making the higher quality product are most likely to receive the criticism for (along with the expectations created by) the price hike will see the least of that extra 10.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I am curious if this means that PC games will also be going up in price. If the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament is $60, will the PC version be the same price?

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 05-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
gin soaked boy

Everything will go up in price, I suppose.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
thegumchewingwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
I am curious if this means that PC games will also be going up in price. If the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament is $60, will the PC version be the same price?
they put up the price on console games because they actually lose money on the consoles themselves (correct me if i'm wrong...), simply because they can afford to. a console is nothing without content.

as for pc games, i think those prices will go up anyway even though theres probably not much justification for it... they simply do it because they can.

that's why i stick to purchasing games that are actually good, imo.

-sandra

Old 05-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
There will be less and less PC games as we go forward. Even now, in E3, for every 10 console games I saw, there was like 1 PC game. A lot of next gen console games have not been announced for the PC, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Firefox rules
Old 05-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #10
thegumchewingwoman

i don't like consoles, they smell..........

Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
Cheeky Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to vansau Send a message via MSN to vansau Send a message via Yahoo to vansau

I seem to recall some of the first computer games costing $90 or so... I could be wrong, but I think that it was mainly due to the number of floppy disks used to put these games out (since they were done by small, independent publishers at the time).
Old 05-27-2005, 06:49 AM   #12
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
There will be less and less PC games as we go forward. Even now, in E3, for every 10 console games I saw, there was like 1 PC game. A lot of next gen console games have not been announced for the PC, so we'll just have to wait and see.
I suppose ATI and NVidia won't let PC gaming die.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
I suppose ATI and NVidia won't let PC gaming die.
And Microsoft too. It definitely won't die. There will be less of them though.

Firefox rules
Old 05-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to hengst2404 Send a message via Yahoo to hengst2404

Well since PC gaming has proven to be very resilient, let's not start writing its eulogy yet. Soon, perhaps even the generation after the xbox 360, the line between pc gaming and console gaming may thin to the point that the pc platform is unnecessary due to the similarities between the console and PC. We aren't there yet and many, if not most of the major pc advances tend to come about through the PC GAMING industry, so I think we are safe for a while. If you recall, the last few E3s were more about the PC, i.e. Half-Life 2 and Doom3 than what meager offerings the consoles had.

This year, what most gamers seemed to miss is that very little of the PS3 and Xbox 360 were actually shown. we saw videos and pre-renders and all the smoke and mirrors we would expect from a console that is not even made yet.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #15
Banned User

I shall resist!

There's no way in hell a game is worth $60. I don't see how they're even worth $50. They're just getting dern greedy. I'll just wait till those bastard games hit the bargin bin.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:55 PM   #16

To date, I have only bought two games at $50: Guild Wars (because I REALLY wanted it, and I got a lot of cash for my birthday), and Deus Ex: Invisible War (because I loved Deus Ex). The rest of the time, I either rent (I can beat most games in a week, sadly), or wait until the price goes down (about $20 if it's good, $30 if it's really good). Most games just aren't worth their original retail price.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #17
merely human

I dunno about you guys, but I will DEFINITELY be THAT MUCH MORE demanding and picky now that the price is going up. It's the only thing I can afford to do as a smart consumer primarily because I'm poor. But you all - everyone, really - have to be like I am because it's ultimately the only way we all can let developers and publishers know that we're not stupid and just buy whatever shit they put out. You could have the most beautiful, cutting edge graphics, but if the good quality game isn't there it's simply not worth spending the money. Period.

Of course, you're gonna have a crapload of those naive customers buying the games, no matter what quality or price. Those are the same people who bought The Matrix game just 'cause it tied into the movie and they assumed it would be an awesome game. We need less people like them and more people who can be truly educated and savvy consumers.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-01-2005, 12:20 AM   #18
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Why do so many people say PC gaming is dying? It will never die!

Frankly the next generation of consoles worries me, I have bought a full priced console game in ages, I usually buy them used (Ebay of used game store), or get them at the budget bin...

Pyschonauts was the only console game of this year I would have payed full price to get the console version, but since I have the PC version, I don't really think I'll buy it anymore...

GBA and DS games are different, they cost as much (or as little) and new PC game...

60$ is about 70€ or more, I could buy a console for 100€ dammit! The more I think of it the less I want to buy a PS3 or XBox 360, I'll probably get the Nintendo Revolution out of loyalty to Nintendo, but that's it...

For that price a game must be not only a killer app, but a LEGENDARY killer app... And I'd still wait for it's price to lower anyway...

But still if people are willing to spend a fortune on the PSP and pay 50€ for a game, they pay 70€ for a PS3 game...
Old 06-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
Homer of Kittens

As far as games for next gen, I will do what I have done for this gen... wait a little. I have noticed that if a game is more than a few months old, it drops so much in price. I will also revert to PC gaming when the game is multi-format because it is typically running for $20 less. I will also start renting more often. I will only buy a game at full price if I really like the developer and want to support them.

Firefox rules
Old 06-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #20

They are all greedy!!! I am not going to buy a New Gen game anytime soon....