You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The PS3 - And You Thought the Xbox 360 Was Ugly?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Banned User

Default The PS3 - And You Thought the Xbox 360 Was Ugly?

To me, this thing looks craptacular. Then again, I love xbox, so I may be biased.

Old 05-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
merely human

Oh shut up. It's absolutely beautiful. Like 21st centure architecture. Looking at it reminds me of the buildings of Jean Nouvel or the modernist structures of Oscar Niemeyer.

You need to get out more often.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
SamNMax

Why no pic-a-ture?

Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Oh shut up. It's absolutely beautiful. Like 21st centure architecture. Looking at it reminds me of the buildings of Jean Nouvel or the modernist structures of Oscar Niemeyer.

You need to get out more often.
Oh please, it's more Oscar Mayer Weiner than Oscar Niemeyer. I don't want art, I wan't a damn videogame machine!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Oh please, it's more Oscar Mayer Weiner than Oscar Niemeyer. I don't want art, I wan't a damn videogame machine!
Read this, beeyatch.

Quote:
Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3 will use Blu-ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. Sony also confirmed the machine would be backward compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, an SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD, somewhat similar the Xbox 360's. Sony did not mention if the drive would be standard.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2GHz, giving the whole system 2 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz, and it will have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700MHz.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, Internet access, digital photo viewing, and digital audio and video. Speaking of video, Sony Computer Entertainment's Chief Technical Officer Masa Chatani was on hand to show off the PS3's panoramic video functions. Since the console has two HD outputs, it is can be hooked up to two side-by-side HDTVs to projecting video in a 32 extra-widescreen format (think Cinemascope in your living room). Like a gigantic version of the Nitnendo DS, the dual digital outputs also allow for an extended game display, with the action on one screen and either game information or video chat on the second.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers, which can be used for nearly 24 hours before they require charging. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals: four up front and two in the back. As rumored, it will also have Wi-Fi connectivity to the PSP, which can be used as a remote screen and/or controller.
THERE IS YOUR FREAKING DAMN VIDEO GAME MACHINE.

tempsie
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-16-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
Banned User

Quote:
Read this, beeyatch.

THERE IS YOUR FREAKING DAMN VIDEO GAME MACHINE.

tempsie
I refuse to read that because

A) I WUV XBOX!
B) It's too much to read, when I should be reading my geography book
C) It's hard to read when getting whapped by a pan.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

OMG look at the controller

It looks like a boomerang

Firefox rules
Old 05-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #8

One thing I do like the sound of with these new consoles (well PS3 and Revolution anyway) is the backwards compatibility, should I ever decide to buy say, ICO, I wouldn't have to dig around for an old PS2... I could just get one of these and would also be able to play new games on it.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Check out this video here (click on the sony E3 2005 Game demo showcase). You can see Gran Turismo 5. Trepsie I know you are a driving whore now

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/r...er2/index.html

Firefox rules
Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
merely human

In all honesty I really am tempted to get both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, for different reasons. I see many possibilities for both of them. To personally it's no contest. Of course, it's all about the games in the end, and I know that there will be lots of good games for 360 I can play until I am able to get the PS3.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

"Since the console has two HD outputs, it can be hooked up to two side-by-side HDTVs to projecting video in an extra widescreen format"

Or, with a little clever programming using one channel for the left eye and one channel for the right eye, we could have the true 3D virtual reality gaming experience we were promised so long ago.

That's it. I now officially want one.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Beautiful. That's it.

The Killzone 5 movie just BLEW ME AWAY. Yes, that whole thing was in-game.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Beautiful. That's it.

The Killzone 5 movie just BLEW ME AWAY. Yes, that whole thing was in-game.
Yeah me too I'm so getting both

Firefox rules
Old 05-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #14
merely human

It's now getting to the point where the lavish cutscenes - like in adventure games - you used to only be able to enjoy watching are now the IN-GAME scenes you get to play.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #15
OB

I'm not sure how they can say for certain that they are going with Blu-Ray when that format may not even exist in a few months. The forces that be are negotiating to avoid a format war and either Blu-Ray or HDDVD is going to be the one that comes out on top. If HDDVD is the chosen format, what will Sony do then? If only HDDVD movies are released then that makes their Blu-Ray machine useless for HD format movie playback.

Also, I haven't checked out many of the game videos, but keep in mind that alot of this is probably sourced from "gameplay target demos". It's merely a representation of what it'll look like and is not realtime. I know the next gen screens/footage from The Godfather and Dark Sector are this way.

I'm not sure I like that boomerang controller. I'm rather picky about controllers, and I"ve always considered the PS controllers to be the best and feel the best. That look clunky, large and round(i.e. uncomfortable like all the Sega controllers).
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #16
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Looks kind of big

Old 05-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #17
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Holy shit! They're making a new Red Dead Revolver for the PS3!!!!

Oh yeah, and the machine looks alright. But more Red Dead Revolver!! And they stole the freaking font from the Spiderman movies.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-16-2005, 10:14 PM   #18
Banned User

Hey the font looks like Spiderman 2! HAHAHAH!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #19
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
"Since the console has two HD outputs, it can be hooked up to two side-by-side HDTVs to projecting video in an extra widescreen format"

Or, with a little clever programming using one channel for the left eye and one channel for the right eye, we could have the true 3D virtual reality gaming experience we were promised so long ago.

That's it. I now officially want one.

ScottMate
How would that work, I wonder? Would you have to cross your eyes to get the 3D effect? Or stare at it like one of those Magic Eye pictures?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #20
delusions of adequacy

I know the first thing I'm buying after a ps3 is two high def tv's to sit side by side in my living room...