Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   My Ultimate Gaming Machine (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/815-my-ultimate-gaming-machine.html)

Christina 11-10-2003 09:24 AM

My Ultimate Gaming Machine

A couple of months ago my PC got majorly virused, so I figured I'd use that as an excuse to get a brand new computer.(Even though my current computer was barely 3 years old and was fixable.^_^)

I decided I'd build my own computer from components that I hand picked and put together myself - and it actually works, you know, without blowing up and stuff. I also put a bunch of bright lights, sound activated lights, fans, and UV reactive cables in it. My computer basically looks like a little techno dance club. ^_^ Everytime music plays the lights react to the beat. And because I'm so proud of it, I have to show it off to everyone with see through panels and screenshots that I post to message boards. ^_^

The Specs

Athlon 64 chip - Yup that's the brand new 64-bit chip. It's the only one on the market - not like I really needed it though; but I just couldn't resist. :9~
512 MB DDR memory
ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro - 128 MB
Memorex CDR/W/DVD combo drive - 48x write speed
Plextor DVDRW drive - supports both DVD+R and DVD-R and writes at 8x

To test drive it I installed GTA: Vice City. It can run at the highest settings possible with absolutely no load time, dropped frames, or lagging whatsoever. 8-) I was in heaven.

If anyone is wondering, the entire system including the case, modem, floppy drive, and everything listed above including tax and shipping costed roughly $1200.00. Not bad at all considering a similar system sells for $3200.00 at other online stores.

Sorry if a couple of the pictures are blurry. None of the pictures really give the sheer coolness of it justice. Ok, I'm done bragging now. ^_^

Click here to see the pics!

Phil25 11-10-2003 09:31 AM

Pics aren't showing up.

Christina 11-10-2003 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil25
Pics aren't showing up.

The forums have something against my pics. :(

edited to say: Ok, the link is working now. :)

twifkak 11-10-2003 10:15 AM

*wonders when trep's going to run in panning Christina for exhibiting geekiness*

*wonders where trep is*

Wow, Christina. Sound-activated? LOL. Well, I'm extremely impressed by the price. Where did you buy?

Christina 11-10-2003 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twifkak
*wonders when trep's going to run in panning Christina for exhibiting geekiness*

*wonders where trep is*

Wow, Christina. Sound-activated? LOL. Well, I'm extremely impressed by the price. Where did you buy?

I bought all of the components seperately using several different stores to get the best price. I used Price Watch to find most of the stuff.

I was really suprised to find out just how much companies charge you for them to put the computer together and send it to you, as opposed to how much the components actually cost. If you have the know how, I definately recommend buying everything yourself and putting it together.

Phil25 11-10-2003 10:25 AM

Awesome rig.

Erkki 11-10-2003 10:31 AM

:9~

cool

PTDC 11-13-2003 02:25 AM

Jammy git ;) I don't play many new games, so much as I'd like a system like that (and to be able to afford it ;)) it'd be overkill for scummvm :)

remixor 11-13-2003 02:32 AM

Holy friggin crap. I'm not a huge fan of case mods, but that aside your machine humbles me. It is, to quote Penny Arcade, like a tiny god.

So how's that 64-bit chip? What are the primary advantages over its soon-to-be-obsolete-I'm-sure 32-bit counterpart? Are there any benefits really notable from your end, since software hasn't really begun to take advantage of the new technology yet (at least as far as I know)?

Kolzig 11-13-2003 03:33 AM

Nice looking lighthouse ;)

Tanukitsune 11-13-2003 07:56 AM

How l33t... :P
Ehm...it r0><0rz?

James 11-13-2003 08:07 AM

I got me an Alienware Area51m. im happy.

DomStLeger 11-13-2003 08:13 AM

Wow that machine looks great, if a little bright. And talk about fast! You're so lucky Christina :)

davez82 11-13-2003 08:16 AM

i hate you