You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Duke Nukem Forever - Anticipating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 01:56 AM   #1

Default Duke Nukem Forever - Anticipating?

Now i hear there is this on going inside joke that they are not going to release it or something along those lines.

Personally i loved the first one, the style and adult humor was a great touch to an already stylish game.

Now i see the release date on amazon is Dec 2nd 05

i do hope i can get this for xmas, it'd be awsome

anyone heard or seen anything great about this yet, all i have seen is some sexy screenshots and thats about it but tsi already got me hyped.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
gin soaked boy

What screenshots? You mean those screens from 3 or 4 years ago when it was still going to be based on the Unreal engine? I have a really cool video from that period, but then the updates stopped comming and the game returned back to its limbo.
There were some speculations it would be redone using the Doom3 engine, based on some insider memo or something, but now that Prey has been reannounced, chances are that was the game the memo talked about.

Still, you never know...
Old 04-14-2005, 02:47 AM   #3

yea the only screen shots i've seen is the ones on www.amazon.co.uk
they're probably the same ones.

I've not seen trailer or movie.

so we know nothing as of yet?

i really disliked doom 3, and having that engine would piss me right off! lol that or just because im biased though it may be a really good engine i like the idea of them using the unreal tornament engine.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:49 AM   #4

It will be released in the year 3057. After the 3rd intergalactic war, the only human game that remains is Duke Nukem Forever. The game will use the Xzhsinwidhininja engine invented by the Xzshinwidhians. Sadly the Xzshinwidhians argue that the game is actually theirs and hold it off until the "time is right for FPS games". All copies of Duke Nukem are recalled. Finally in 3099, after a 42 year dominance of adventure games, the Martians release Quake 2799 based on an ancient Earth game called "Quake 3" and revive the FPS genre. Duke Nukem Forever is finally released under the name "Duke Nukem Forever: You've waited way too long for this game". Everyone is dissapointed and wonders "We waited 1000 something years for this?" Of course you can't live up to 1000 years of hype.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:02 AM   #5

Ok so naturally, ain't nuttin gonna happen you're saying?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:41 AM   #6
capsized.

The movie'll hit theaters before the game will hit the stores. Written by Paul Anderson, directed by Uwe Boll, licensed by EA Games, nuked by just about everyone. Just guessing...
Old 04-14-2005, 05:28 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Nothing else is known about DNF, except that it has taken forever to make it, and that it will use the swedish made Meqon physics engine.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:24 AM   #8
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Coincidentally, 3DRealms just posted some new job offerings on their site. They're hiring level designers, and "UnrealEd and Doom 3 experience is a plus".

Pretty certain they're still using modified Unreal tech... it would be total idiocy to change between engines at this point, it would only mean more jokes, more ridicule, more delays. They've pretty much finished the tech and are just implementing content at this stage.

I hope we see the game at E3 but there's no way of knowing for sure. But it does look like we'll be seeing Prey.

(I think this game will look great when we finally see it in action)
Old 04-14-2005, 06:48 AM   #9

i'm just looking forward to new gags and jokes.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:50 AM   #10
DAVE

I hope they DON'T use Unreal tech. It blows. Small maps with very little detail compared to Doom3, slow and takes lots of resources for crappy textures. Just look at Brothers in Arms, Deus Ex 2, Unreal 2, etc.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:52 AM   #11

true deusex 2 was unbareably slow
Old 04-14-2005, 07:49 AM   #12
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

I remember being incredibly hyped for this back when they had the "When It's Done in 2001" E3 trailer around. And then more time passed. And then more time passed. And then.....you get the idea.

I'm still interested in it, but I have a hunch it'll show up on retail shelves around the same time as genetically recreated dinosaurs, a la Jurassic Park. I'd still consider buying it once it came out......but I'd definitely read some reviews first.

And as for whether or not they use the Unreal engine, well, the engine from Unreal Tourney wouldn't be half bad. If they are still using the same Unreal Engine that produced the trailer I mentioned above, though, the game ain't going to look very spectacular...
Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #13
Epinionated.

DX2's issues were to do with cross-platform development and bad use of the engine. Can't see the problem with Brothers In Arms though... remember it's also cross platform.

Lineage 2 shows great use of the Unreal Engine, as does Splinter Cell.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #14
pain is love

The only thing I'm anticipating is the final announcement that it's never coming out. Probably for the better, who needs another Daikatana?

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #15
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Ha... It'll never get released. If it somehow does, I certainly won't be lining up to play a game actually worse than Daikatana.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
Banned User

It's not coming. It has been banned.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #17
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
DX2's issues were to do with cross-platform development and bad use of the engine. Can't see the problem with Brothers In Arms though... remember it's also cross platform.

Lineage 2 shows great use of the Unreal Engine, as does Splinter Cell.
BiA has bad graphics. Really bad textures, just look at it. I run the game with everything on maximum and it looks like crap. It's still a great game, but when you invest so much in graphics, you expect a lot better. I mean, even in Thief 3 or DX2, if you looked at the textures they're very low-res. Same with BiA.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #18
Citizen of Bizarro World

Duke Nukem Forever will literally take forever to finish. I think it's a running joke with the "development team": "Hey, let's make some more fake screenshots for Duke Nukem 'Forever'! teehee!"
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 AM   #19

why would they play an evil joke like that, it has the potential to be the best game ever, duke was an awsome character
Old 04-15-2005, 12:34 AM   #20
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-Z
it has the potential to be the best game ever
It HAD the potential 5 years ago (or was it more?)... How long is it in the making?

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja