You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts PC DEMO!! Download it NOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #81
merely human

I n-n-n-need a new computer!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #82
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

The demo worked almost perfectly on my three years old computer.

It was pure fun to play as Raz, the camp and it's surroundings (And pretty much everything else) looks frigging awesome when I saw for the first time... and the second time, and also the third time, and...

Well you know what I mean.

The only thing that in retrospect seemed a bit off, was the camera autofocus thingy, most of the time it didn't really bother at all, but there was some point in the Oleander level that it bugged me a little.

Otherwise the camera movement was very smooth, just the way I like it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:45 AM   #83
Epinionated.

I see no reason why it shouldn't have better framerates at 1024x768 without FSAA on my rig. It's not a pimping comp like tabacco's though... it's a little under that. 1GB PC2700, Geforce 6600GT, Athlon XP 3000+ should be able to manage this considering it runs D3, HL2 and Splinter Cell 3 well on 1280X1024 native LCD res.

The framerate drops might mean overdraw, as it happens looking up at the tree, so it COULD in theory be drawing everything including the kids in the classroom. Also the animation segments might require intensive skeletal structure underneath the poly's.

BTW if the game runs well and you're on 800x600 with no FSAA, then it SHOULD. Mind you, with a game with art this good, do I really want to run it low with incredible jaggies? Good is relative if you're playing on low resolutions.

It reminds me of Zelda: Wind Waker only with jumping. Wonder if the freedom within the game continues, as I notice you can jump back and forth between dreams. Got to love the emotional baggage!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:28 AM   #84
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Oh no, my graphics card doesn't support Pixel Shading.

Ah well, I guess if there was ever an incentive to finally upgrade the old graphics card, this would have to be it.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:36 AM   #85

I haven't had any problems playing so far, technically speaking.
As for the game, well, I was hoping it would be a bit more like BGE and a bit less platformy, and as such I don't think I'll buy it. Still, it's quite beautiful and plays smoothly, for a 3D platformer.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I haven't had any problems playing so far, technically speaking.
As for the game, well, I was hoping it would be a bit more like BGE and a bit less platformy...
I agree. Based on the demo I feel the game is more comparable to games like Ratchet and Clank than to BGE. However, the demo only contains the training level so perhaps the full game may still be more like BGE.

Even if it turns out to be a 3D platformer it probably will be one of the better ones out there so I may still get it. Judging by the demo I think production values, writing and voice acting will be amazing.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:08 AM   #87
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Huh? Is that even possible? Wouldn't it try to 'install' it in the console or something? That's just too weird. Nah, I'll just get my sister's password and play it then. Besides, it's installed in her account.
Xbox = Harddrive.... think about it.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:23 AM   #88
Doctor Watson

Just when the demo got really interesting, it crashed. AARGH!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #89
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Xbox = Harddrive.... think about it.
Just because an xbox has a harddrive doesn't mean it'll run standard windows executables. Code for the xbox must be specially compiled using Microsoft's XDK, and I don't see an .xbe included in the demo.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #90
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

The game is definitely more platformey than BG&E, but the amount of exploration, gameplay variety, and the depth of the story do open up significantly after the training level ends.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #91
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Just because an xbox has a harddrive doesn't mean it'll run standard windows executables. Code for the xbox must be specially compiled using Microsoft's XDK, and I don't see an .xbe included in the demo.
You fools, i've been messing is all. There's actually a way to do it, but you need a mod.

Anyway, I have an Anathlon 3000+, 1gb of 3200 ram and an ati 9700pro, so i'll play the demo tonight and see what it runs at and how well.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #92
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
You fools, i've been messing is all. There's actually a way to do it, but you need a mod.
No there's not, even with a mod.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #93
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
No there's not, even with a mod.
Yes there is. I've seen it done.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #94
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The game is definitely more platformey than BG&E, but the amount of exploration, gameplay variety, and the depth of the story do open up significantly after the training level ends.
Jake, do you know if there are any gameplay mechanisms in the game besides platforming? Like I noticed that you pick up salt from a kid. Do you know if these inventory items are needed in an adventury type of way?

Firefox rules
Old 04-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #95
Headbanger

I played the demo today and I'm really impressed. I will deffinately buy this game when it's released.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #96
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Jake, do you know if there are any gameplay mechanisms in the game besides platforming? Like I noticed that you pick up salt from a kid. Do you know if these inventory items are needed in an adventury type of way?
In the demo you can access the psi power menu and your backpack (inventory) with [ and ] . Though they spend the demo being almost entirely empty, you use the stuff that goes there very frequently in the full game.

Anyway, yeah there are a lot of inventory puzzles and the like later on. It varies from mind to mind - some are almost exclusively inventory puzzle and exploration based or manipulating objects and the environment, while some are almost entirely about shooting things (most notably the mind immediately after coach's in which you earn your marksmanship merit badge) but in most of the minds there is a very strong balance. The level from the demo is almost only about basic movement but that's not representitive of the scope of the game. After you get through the first 3 minds which are mostly training and preliminary story set up (the minds of the 3 teachers), the gameplay gets really nuts.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #97
Doctor Watson

I was surprised at the mix of children's cartoon and super scaryness.

Yes, I think Psychonauts is very very scary. MOM!!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #98

The game is running like a charm on my 1 and a half year computer, except for one thing: The animation slows down during dialogue, so when a character has finished speaking, he is still moving his mouth for a little while, and the whole thing goes in slow motion. Anyone else experienced this? What to do?

Anyway, great game, but regardless of how it is running on my PC, I still think I might get the (delayed) PS2 version. It just feels like one of those games that are best played with a hand controller, and not a keyboard and a mouse.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #99
Banned User

Works great on mine! I only did a lil' runnin around, but later i'll work through it. My gf loves it though, and she doesn't care about games.

Oh yeah, and I can run it at the highest resolution, but it doesn't fit my screen right that way.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #100
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
The game is running like a charm on my 1 and a half year computer, except for one thing: The animation slows down during dialogue, so when a character has finished speaking, he is still moving his mouth for a little while, and the whole thing goes in slow motion. Anyone else experienced this? What to do?
Tried lowering the screen resolution or turning off shadows or other effects?