You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts PC DEMO!! Download it NOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #41

If anyone is still looking for a good server to download it from, I would suggest getting it from Yahoo:
http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/psychonauts/files/96344

No registration, no special download programs, no hassle. Also it's a very fast server, I'm getting it at 700 KB/s and rising right now.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #42
Epinionated.

Played it! Solid platformer with lovely voice direction and animation, with nice production design and a great script. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is the way adventures are going - it's a console platformer with super shiny knobs on. That's not to say it's bad at all though - it's brilliant! For a game to have this level of cartoon animation realtime is brilliant and it plays smoothly.

The production really shines. Double Fines use of proper illustrators to design the characters lends a wonderfully whacky edge, upped by sensitive animation and great voiceovers. I recognise the main characters voice and it's really bugging me! Sometimes the backgrounds confuse, but that's more to do with the simplicity of them meshing together a bit. Draw distance is superb.

My only real gripes include the use of grainy FMV in some cutscenes, and the performance on this thing. My god it's a resource hog. It looks great, but it relies on low-poly design so I can't understand why this runs so slowly (hitting 15 with FSAA on) compared to Splinter Cell: CS with hardware shadowing and all Pixel Shader options ticked on 3.0 at the same resolution.

Definitely recommend a gamepad on it too. Gameplay dictactes it and it makes a world of difference.

To sum up - well realised platforming action that takes me back to the days of Earthworm Jim and buffs it up to double fine proportions. Me likey...

A couple of treats (notice Fraps counter) from my computer -

Clicky for biggies.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
If anyone is still looking for a good server to download it from, I would suggest getting it from Yahoo:
http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/psychonauts/files/96344

No registration, no special download programs, no hassle. Also it's a very fast server, I'm getting it at 700 KB/s and rising right now.
...but it doesn't work with Firefox. Oh well, I guess I'll just use good old IE.

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong, it's just that the connexion with the yahoo server is pretty bad. It stopped at 20 or so percent...
Old 04-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
My only real gripes include the use of grainy FMV in some cutscenes, and the performance on this thing. My god it's a resource hog. It looks great, but it relies on low-poly design so I can't understand why this runs so slowly (hitting 15 with FSAA on) compared to Splinter Cell: CS with hardware shadowing and all Pixel Shader options ticked on 3.0 at the same resolution.
Agreed. I have the recommended system for the game, and I had to turn off details in order to make it playable.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
...but it doesn't work with Firefox. Oh well, I guess I'll just use good old IE.

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong, it's just that the connexion with the yahoo server is pretty bad. It stopped at 20 or so percent...
Really? It worked fine on mine. Maybe it's acting weird because they just put it up
Old 04-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
Really? It worked fine on mine. Maybe it's acting weird because they just put it up
Dunno. Right now I'm at 40% and crossing my fingers.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #47
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Weird. It runs great on my semi antiquated rig, at 800x600 with what seems like everything turned up. No FSAA though.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #48
Friendly Server Admin

I believe Psychonauts may not be as low-polygon as you think, so FSAA might just destroy it.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #49

It works on my laptop -- big surprise there. I had to drop the resolution to 640x480 without FSAA to make it run smoothly.

I really enjoyed it the demo. It's much better than I expected, because I usually don't really enjoy platformers like this. I think my favorite part was killing all those squirrels.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #50
I needed a dare

Awesome demo. Something funny i found the second time around.

Hit the kid looking into the girl's cabin
Old 04-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #51
Homer of Kittens

Okay bragging time I LOVE Double Fine. First game that gets the controls right. I plugged in my Thrust Master, and didn't even need to configure anything. It recognizes it directly. I increased the resolution to 1024*768 and it ran like a dream on my P4 NVIDIA 6800 GT, 21 inch NEC monitor. Consoles Shmonsoles... The PC is where it's at

And the game is so much fun. I'm a big fan of platformers, and this one oozes style. And we haven't even seen the quirky art yet... Can't wait.

Firefox rules
Old 04-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #52
Banned User

Hello. My name is Michael. I am new to these forums and i've decided to download the game you are all talking about. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #53
merely human

Hello, Michael. Welcome to the community. BTW, your av reminds me of Ron Jeremy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #54
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Hello, Michael. Welcome to the community. BTW, your av reminds me of Ron Jeremy.
Who?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #55
I needed a dare

you're new and have over 400 post?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #56
merely human

That's relative.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #57
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop
you're new and have over 400 post?
Hm, must be a glitch. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #58
merely human

Well, it looks like my moron-in-law changed the user passwords on my sister's computer, so I can't play the demo til tomorrow. He thinks I'm doing unhealthy stuff to it, but it was me who taught him the wisdom of anti-spyware software, pop-up blockers, and periodical system scans.

See, he's as stupid as he is smart. He has no idea that computers are very delicate things and you must take very good care of them on a regular basis. Before I scanned it the computer had several hundred adwares running in the background that slowed things down considerably. I told him specifically that the games I installed are in no way harmful. I even told him I know far more about these things than he does and even he comes to me whenever there's a problem. But he and my sister are pretty much ignorant of such things as Spybot, Adaware, and asking friends to blind copy emails being sent to multiple addresses so spammers can't get hold of the info.

And what does he do in return? He blocks me off so I can't play games on their system, games that have nothing to do with screwing up their computer. Tomorrow I'm going to ask my sister for the password she uses on her XP account, as she works from home, and I had installed the Psychonauts demo on it. Right now I feel like f#&king up their computer to the point where they're unable to use it, and telling my moron-in-law I know exactly how to fix it but won't.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #59
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, it looks like my moron-in-law changed the user passwords on my sister's computer, so I can't play the demo til tomorrow. He thinks I'm doing unhealthy stuff to it, but it was me who taught him the wisdom of anti-spyware software, pop-up blockers, and periodical system scans.

See, he's as stupid as he is smart. He has no idea that computers are very delicate things and you must take very good care of them on a regular basis. Before I scanned it the computer had several hundred adwares running in the background that slowed things down considerably. I told him specifically that the games I installed are in no way harmful. I even told him I know far more about these things than he does and even he comes to me whenever there's a problem. But he and my sister are pretty much ignorant of such things as Spybot, Adaware, and asking friends to blind copy emails being sent to multiple addresses so spammers can't get hold of the info.

And what does he do in return? He blocks me off so I can't play games on their system, games that have nothing to do with screwing up their computer. Tomorrow I'm going to ask my sister for the password she uses on her XP account, as she works from home, and I had installed the Psychonauts demo on it. Right now I feel like f#&king up their computer to the point where they're unable to use it, and telling my moron-in-law I know exactly how to fix it but won't.
Damn...sucks to be you!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #60
Friendly Server Admin

So, just got home. It runs beautifully on my Athlon 3200+, 1gb of pc3200, Radeon 9500 Pro (128mb) at 1024x768 with fsaa and all the other good stuff turned on. Works quite well with my xbox controller, too, although it took a little configuring