You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts PC DEMO!! Download it NOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #21
merely human

Awesome. I should be able to run it on my sister's ol' Radeon 9200 (the recommended card is 9600 or higher). Downloading now.

Anyone play it yet? Is the mouse/keyboard control scheme good? Or should I just plug my Thrustmaster?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #22
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I didn't have any problem with the default controls (WASD/mouselook)... well, I reversed the horizontal camera control because itw as bugging me, but basic movement etc isn't confusing or clunky feeling with the keyboard. It would be more fluid with a gamepad... but I'd recommend one that looks like a console gamepad (dual thumbstick), not a flightstick or joystick. That would probably make it more awkward instead of less.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #23
merely human

Thanks. I'll try it both ways and compare.

If it runs well on my system with most bells and whistles turned up I'll get t3h PC version.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #24
Epinionated.

Gah, Gamespot was taking forever for some reason.

Trying Gamershell instead. 3 Hours! Poo! Lucky I got a dual analog pad for the PC - the Saitek P2500. Look out for them, they're very cheap and have excellent build quality and drivers.

I'll take some hi-res Fraps shots and post them too.

BTW I'm drining beer. In this snetence I'm typing straignt off so you know where my head's at right now. Do'h!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #25
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Some encouraging comments from the PC gamers over on Shacknews:

Quote:
The controls are great, I can't believe this is a console port. Everything is responsive to the max. There's alot to love here and alot of extra things to do like collecting cards and items to buy new things. The game seems great and the demo is worth the download. I just cant get over how beautiful this game is.
my favorite hilarious one:

Quote:
You know why there is a demo before the actual game release? Because these are old school game makers and they know how things should done!!!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #26
merely human

JakeIloveyouyou'resuchawhore.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:52 AM   #27
The Dartmaster

Also I recommend doing a "look at" on the tree stumps in the campground for a bit of a classic moment

Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #28
merely human

OKAY OKAY!!! Go back and play the demo again, whydontcha?!

45% done at 94.0KB/sec !!!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #29
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Just 14 minutes remaining. This is going to be a hoot!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #30
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Jeehaaw!

Damn, people are really downloading SOMETHING from fileshack, damn, the file is only coming in at 60k/s!!

Where's my max bandwidth god damnit!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

Damn! That demo rocked hard! Can't wait for it to come out.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #32
merely human

Ha HA!! I just did a little running around in the demo, will actually play it later this evening. Now THIS is how adventure games could and should be, a living breathing world where things constantly happen around you and you're not searching for 1 of 2 or 3 hotspots in a dead screenshot.

It runs fairly well given the graphics card I use (too bad I can't afford a newer card). Raz is so f#&king CUTE!

Anyway, I'll get back later.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #33
gin soaked boy

I won't even try to run it on my GF4MX :-/

But in a week I'm getting a brand new, crispy 6600GT

Jus had to brag a little..
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #34
capsized.

Damn. Should I spoil myself the beginning of the game by downloading the demo? Or should I wait 'till I'm allowed to grab a copy of the final game? Argh. Anything known about an European publisher yet? Argh. Argh. Argh.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #35

Okay, I just played through the demo, and I have to say that it is pretty darn cool. It looks great, and Schafer's creativity truly shines in this title. The concept, the art, the truly zany worlds. It feels as if _anything_ could happen! I love it!

I have a few worries about the actual gameplay, though. Having played Rayman some years ago, I'm afraid that the game may be a bit too much about backtracking into previously played levels. I am not sure about this, as I've only played the demo, but all this collecting of figments, mental baggage, etc. could indicate that. And that's not entirely cool. I actually like my games a bit linear

I dig BG&E and Zelda: TWW, though.

And yeah, Treppie, adventure game developers have a lot to learn from a title like Psychonauts
Old 04-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #36
FlipFrame

Just finished it myself. Wow...I expected it to be fun, but not this thoroughly enjoyable. So far, assuming they keep this pace throughout, there's lots of unprompted exploration, and being a platform junkie myself, being able to do the conventional 'platformy' stuff allows for lots of out of the way exploration. I love being able to examime much more of the world to, at the very least, receive dialog, (oh and smack the peeping tom in the back of his head).

Absolutely loved it...and right when Raz shows up, my first anxious moment was the voice they were going to use. With that said, ALL the voices just rock and no one should be disappointed.

Not a fan of the camera that fights me as I'm a traditional 'mouselook' player, and moving it around to only have it then auto-focus when you move Raz is a SUPER no-no. Anyone who's played Splinter Cell knows exactly what a perfect 3rd person cam is. So odds are I'll be hitting this game up on my Xbox.

THRUST MASTER Trep!

Cheers!

EDIT: I wanted to add that I LOVE the cartoon style and textures. The screenshots dont do the game justice, as I myself for example were turned off by the 'figments', but seeing them in the braining level convinced me they are cool.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #37
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Now THIS is how adventure games could and should be, a living breathing world where things constantly happen around you and you're not searching for 1 of 2 or 3 hotspots in a dead screenshot.

STOP IT!!!1 That's my game. Oh my god. Should I? Should I?

(Has anybody tried the demo with a Geforce 4 TI graphics card?)
Old 04-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #38
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind
I have a few worries about the actual gameplay, though. Having played Rayman some years ago, I'm afraid that the game may be a bit too much about backtracking into previously played levels. I am not sure about this, as I've only played the demo, but all this collecting of figments, mental baggage, etc. could indicate that. And that's not entirely cool. I actually like my games a bit linear
All backtracking and revisiting of minds, and completionist collecting etc is totally optional (unless you're totally nrgligent and dont get any figments so you cant rank up, but thats nearly impossible to do).

Cool things:

- put the camera up nice and close to raz and watch all the idle animations he's got
- collect all the baggage in coach's mind

Old 04-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #39
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
- put the camera up nice and close to raz and watch all the idle animations he's got
You don't need to tell me that. I'm deeply in love with the Raz that every single minute thing he does is HEAVEN.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #40
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Ack! Of course this comes out when I'm sitting here at work.

Luckily, I had my little brothers start downloading it for me. So in an hour or so when I get home, I should have me some Psychonauts 'a waitin'.

For those of you still dwindling on slow downloads, it is up on 3dgamers.com now. Recently their site has been running MUCH faster than it has in the past, so give it a try.

Sixty minutes...sixty minutes...sixty....