You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts PC DEMO!! Download it NOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #181

I finished the demo 3 or 4 times already...
So I guess I really like it (I almost never finish games or demos)
It really looks amazing and controls with mouse and keyboard are OK (after inverting camera horizontal).

Only thing that bothers me is that they put some kind of SecuROM protection in it (in a demo!?). My system was quite messed up last week, so I used a restore point and had to reinstall the demo, but apparently this SecuROM stuff was still around so the demo wouldn't start and I got some “License data is invalid. Please contact Customer Support for further instructions." popup
By coincidence I discovered these SecuROM files in "Application Data" under Documents and Settings->username (I was sure they originated from Psychonauts 'cuz it's the only game installed on my laptop and my desktop pc). So I deleted this stuff, checked my registry too, reinstalled. ->It works again

According to the Majesco Psychonauts forum I should have (copy-paste)
Quote:
1) Re-boot the computer.
2) "Right-click" on the desktop shortcut or the actual executable and a dialogue window will appear.
3) Choose "Launch Analysis" from the choices and release the mouse.
4) A disclaimer window will appear.
5) To proceed, please click on the "Yes" button.
6) The application will now generate an "AnalysisLog.sr0" file within the root of your hard drive.
7) Zip this file (to avoid email complications) and send it to [email protected], subject line “Demo Analysis File For Evaluation”
After this procedure I guess you should wait for an answer...

Another thing I read on that forum:"The demo is limited to a 30 day trial period, so order the full version at www.psychonauts.com to continue the fun!".
This is ridiculous, I mean it's one tiny level of the game, so why do they also limit the time you can play it. Same with the SecuROM protection I think you should at least get a warning when something you didn't ask for gets installed.
Actually, I hate all copy protections . I never used to rip my audio cd's, but now I do it as soon as I buy one that's copy protected, cause otherwise you often have to install sucky players to listen to some low bitrate compressed version instead of the real thing.
These protection schemes get cracked anyway, so what's the use??
Anyway, I'm still getting this game, it's not like Double Fine can help it...