You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4
Default 24: The Game

It's a dream come true!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...w_6121328.html

and some more information here:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...s_6121302.html

Quote:
The third-person shooter will feature 100 missions, including on-foot shootouts and high-speed vehicular pursuits. It will also sport stealth missions, interrogation challenges, and puzzles in the form of decoding various bits of intelligence.
It's currently only planned for European release, but they'd be fools to ignore bringing it to the US. Looks like I gotta get a PS2 now.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

And another preview at Gaming-Age.com. But the really important thing on that page to look at is this:

Quote:
Make sure to check out an exclusive sneak preview video of 24: The Game at: www.playstationstudios.com/24. Username: preview ; Password: C3%qt24
It's hosted by Keifer Sutherland himself because it seems he loves talking about 24. Watch the video, and prepare your bladder for imminent release!!!

Last edited by artwking4; 04-02-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #3

Oh man, awesome.

I really really wish it wasn't just for PS2, though. Also that it doesn't suck.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
Jack Bauer loves you

So do I... I'd rather have it for PC, personally, but maybe if it's really popular - like Grand Theft Auto III and such - it'll make it's way to other platforms. And not sucking goes without saying.

Last edited by artwking4; 04-02-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #5

I really think the only way this game could work and be interesting for reasons beyond the license would be if it had precisely twenty-four hours of gameplay. Not so sure how that would work other than having strictly timed missions and a ton of scripted bits.

Doing an entirely real-time game would be so great, but considering this is a game based on a tv license I'm not so sure how high they're going to aim for. I would really like to be proven wrong about that, because if this game was executed right it would be amazing.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Jack Bauer loves you

Well, the TV show isn't "strictly" 24 hours. After all, there are commercial breaks, making the running time about 45 minutes per episode instead of 60 minutes. But it's implied that stuff happens during the breaks. For the purposes of the game, it could handle time similar to Gabriel Knight 3, where you're playing within a windowed chunk of time, and you can't continue to the next time slot until you've finished the main objectives of the current one. Or developers could have each small chunk made into timed sequences. Like there are about 100 missions in the game, that would make each one about 15 minutes each in a 24-hour period. I don't know. I'm sure they've given it a lot of thought. As it is, the creators of the show are heavily involved in the making in the game, so they can put their insight of managing time within a tv series to use within a video game.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
delusions of adequacy

Is Kim in it? If not what's the point of playing... she was the only reason to watch the TV show, well the first season anyway.

If she is, well, I guess it'd be kind of weird playing the father of easily some of the prettiest sweater kittens on the planet and having to force myself not to look.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Is Kim in it? If not what's the point of playing... she was the only reason to watch the TV show,
Man, what are you even talking about.

Yeah, she is in the game, pretty much all the CTU people from the third season are there, it looks like.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
delusions of adequacy

Given the paper thin and thoroughly implausible scripts in all the 24's, I think I could be forgiven for only tuning in occasionally to stare at Elisha Cuthbert's magnificent rack. Used to great effect with hammy acting and revealing attire in the first season, but unconscionably wrapped in a business suit for the second season (HEATHENS!), I reluctantly stopped watching.

If I'm to play her father in the game, wasting away the 24 hours making frequent trips to Kim's desk to read reports 'over her shoulder' *wink wink* would put a weird spin on it.

It'll be funny if the game gets a panning for a poor story. Getting marked down for staying true to the TV series? For shame.

*beep*, *beep*, *beep*, *beep*....
Old 04-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I really can't bring myself to be overly excited about this news

Whilst I thought the original 24 was an incredibly innovative premise for a tv series and quite addictive, the novel by Greg Iles was so much better.
The next series was hyped so much in the UK - everwhere you looked or listened there was some reference to "24" with everyone saying how great it was and how they couldn't miss a single episode, and who they thought the conspirators were!!!

Aaargh - it drove me crazy to the point where I reefused to watch any further episodes

Saying that, I am quite interested in the prospect of a game based on the show

If it is done as an action/adventure and divided into time segments similar to GK3 then it might possibly be a good game

I'm not really sure if I would prefer more action or more of an investigative storyline to it? Although to make it appeal to the mass market, I am pretty sure it will be action-oriented

Ok, that's my rant done. I realise that 24 was/is very popular with the general public so my opinions probably won't go down too well............
Old 04-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
merely human

Okay, sooooo.......who exactly is making this game? What is their track record? Have they made games that were critically praise?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #12
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Okay, sooooo.......who exactly is making this game? What is their track record? Have they made games that were critically praise?

Trep, if you'd looked at the link to Gamespot in the 1st post it would have shown you that Sony (SCE Cambridge) are making this game for the PS2 to be released primarily in Europe - no US release date so far.....
Old 04-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #13
merely human

SCE did Wipeout Pure for PSP, as well as other driving games. 24: The Game looks to be driving-centric. What I'm hoping for that it won't turn out to be another GTA clone and instead balance the action with very dramatic scenes and non-driving challenges.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #14

Have you watched the video? It doesn't look driving-centric at all, I'm totally not sure where you're getting that. It's clearly predominantly a third person shooter based on... well the running and the shooting and whatnot. Also there was an interrogation scene in which you choose your approach (aggressive, etc.) so the gameplay's going to be mixed up a bit.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
merely human

Yeah, I saw it. Hype! Hype! Hype! Looks good. I hope the gameplay will be balanced with the story, the A.I. competent, and overall look and feel smooth and fluid.

PS2 exclusive. That sucks. Potential market and fans lost.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Man, tell me about it.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #17
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:

Not really - the PS2 has the largest fan base of all the consoles, plus, like most exclusives, it will probably be released for other platforms soon enough
Old 04-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #18
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Perhaps for now. But Grand Theft Auto's were exclusively PS2 originally and they eventually make their way to XBOX and PC later on.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
Perhaps for now. But Grand Theft Auto's were exclusively PS2 originally and they eventually make their way to XBOX and PC later on.
Yeah, but the difference here is that Sony are making 24, not just publishing it. And going from SCEE's past games they don't do an awful lot of cross-platform porting.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #20
Citizen of Bizarro World

This seems cool. The likeness of Jack Bauer is looking as badass as ever.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem