You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I bought myself a PS2 so...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #21
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
BTW, does anyone here know how to calibrate an Xbox game so that it looks like what it's supposed to look like on a 60" LCD HDTV screen?
I think the adjustments you need to make are all in the Xbox setup menu, rather than in the game itself. I don't have an HDTV, and I'm not at home with my Xbox right now, so I can't guarantee the accuracy or coherency of what I'm about to tell you, but I think it's approximately right.

If you play around in the Xbox menu, you'll find a screen for TV/video settings. Select the highest level of HDTV your screen will display (480, 720 or 1080; I assume that info would be in the TV's documentation) and tell it whether or not your screen is widescreen. Hopefully that will do it.

As to the original question, is your PS2 a US-import, or is it European? If I remember correctly, Broken Sword 3 was released for PS2 in Europe, though you've probably already played it on the PC by now.

I would second the recommendations of the Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper series, as well as ICO and Katamari Damacy (though if you have a European PS2, you'll have to wait for the sequel to play KD). If you play and enjoy ICO, be on the lookout for Shadow of the Colossus, which is a sequel (in spirit) to ICO made by the same development team. It probably won't be out until late this year or early 2006, though.

Disaster Report is a pretty cool, and fairly obscure, game that has an adventure feel to it, though it's not an adventure in the strictest sense. Your character is trying to escape an island city that's being devastated by earthquakes. You have to find a way to get yourself and this girl you save off the island, all the while keeping yourself hydrated and avoiding death by aftershock. Basically, it's survival horror minus the zombies and shotguns.

Finally (I can't believe I almost forgot to mention it), Psychonauts! If you don't already know, it's the latest game by Tim Schafer, and it's coming out in less than a month (in the US anyway). I'm pretty sure it has a European publisher for the PS2. Though, again, you may prefer to play it on the PC.
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #22
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishler
Though, again, you may prefer to play it on the PC.
Read my mind. If I'll be able to run it, that is.

I'm starting to think I didn't really need this crappy console... No adventure games... And I only bought it so I could play In Cold Blood and Discworld Noir for PSX (which I bought for 15 $ together)... Thank God for Pro Evolution Soccer!

Thanks guys, I'll take you up on some games you've mentioned so far

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 03-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #23
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Read my mind. If I'll be able to run it, that is.

I'm starting to think I didn't really need this crappy console... No adventure games...

The PS2 isn't a crappy console - granted there are a lack of AGs for it but it does have games like Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, ICO, Final Fantasy and many others
Old 03-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #24
merely human

There's a great diversity of games for PS2, mostly because it's been out a lot longer than the other consoles, and also 'cause of devs from around the world design for it.

I'm hoping the same will happen with Xbox and its next iteration.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #25
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

The PS2 will always be my console of choice, although I wish I could afford to buy a Gamecube and an XBox just so I can play Eternal Darkness and Fable
Old 03-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #26
merely human

I forgot to say that adventure games are not only scarce on the PS2, they're scarce on any console for now. There seems to be this stigma on consoles being less 'appropriate' for them as consoles are more about sports, action, platformer, and racing games. Also, I think many adventure game devs can't afford the expense of designing for consoles, they have to pay the licensing fees, sign [exclusivity] contracts, and use proprietary tools. But we may be seeing the seeds of that changing finally. The Syberia series is on Xbox, and Dreamfall and Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) will be console-bound as well.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-29-2005, 03:58 AM   #27
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I'm starting to think I didn't really need this crappy console...
Hell, if you don't want it, I'll be glad to buy it off of you for 65 bucks
Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 AM   #28
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Hell, if you don't want it, I'll be glad to buy it off of you for 65 bucks
Wait until I finish Discworld Noir and In Cold Blood

BTW Jel znaÅ¡ joÅ¡ koji dućan u gradu (osim Algoritma i Megastora) koji drži ps i ps2 gejmove. Il joÅ¡ bolje, nekog ko prodaje rabljene?

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja