You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The most difficult game ever thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default The most difficult game ever thread?

What did you guys think was the most difficult game ever made?

I choose Jak 2. Ratchet and clank going commando is also up there. I heard Ninja Gaiden is impossible to beat, though I haven't played it yet.

Firefox rules
Old 03-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Graceful Assassin

Jak 2? Ratchet and Clank 2? I guess ya don't play action games much, do ya? For me it would be... a Myst game. I don't know which Myst, just a Myst. They're so boring it's too hard for me to play them.

Well the same goes for other first-person adventures. I just picked Myst cuz everybody knows Myst. Even my friends who never heard of "pure-adventures" know Myst.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox
JI guess ya don't play action games much, do ya?
I do a lot. But mainly first person shooters I'm new to the console universe.

Firefox rules
Old 03-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
Graceful Assassin

FPS on a console? :eek: That's the worst thing ever!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #5

Strategy games are the most difficult for me, real time or turn based. Often I'll do okay in the beginning, but later on I just can't compete against the computer's superior resource and military managemant. I still like the games, though, but I wish I could get better.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Nononono on a PC of course. I can't stand an FPS on a console. It drives me crazy. Some platforms are just not good for some games. PC's struggle with platformers, and consoles reek when you play an FPS on them.

Firefox rules
Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Old Bag Gamer

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatFrith

Okay going to go out on a limb here and pick a console game:

Fatal Frame 2. Got stuck without a camera being chased through a house by a ghost that was kicking my butt. Basically supposed to run and hide and run and hide and run and hide.... gave up.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
No justice. Only me.

It's kind of an old one, but I'd definitely say The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Most fiendishly unforgiving game ever. Of course, that was part of the fun. Still, after five attempts at it, I still have never beaten it.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Iconoclast

Druuna: Morbis Gravis.

You have to play it to understand. It has the worst controls of any game I have ever played. Just turning your character around can be enough to make you you lose your sanity after a short while.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
merely human

Really? I would think in your case it has to do with Druuna being......you know, immensely gifted in the upper torso department that's impossible to concentrate on the game to finish it.

<runs>
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #11
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Really? I would think in your case it has to do with Druuna being......you know, immensely gifted in the upper torso department that's impossible to concentrate on the game to finish it.
<runs>
Sadly, I have to admit that I wasn't familiar with Serpieri's (sp?) work before buying the game, so I was rather surprised when one of the first things you see in the game is a monstrous pair of breasts.

Amazingly enough, they even managed to screw up the character model for her. It looks awful.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
merely human

She looks like The Incredible Hulk with supersized man boobs.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Why? I play them on xbox all the time and i've never had a single problem with them.

Anyway, I thought far cry was pretty hard, more specifically the last level.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Why? I play them on xbox all the time and i've never had a single problem with them.

Anyway, I thought far cry was pretty hard, more specifically the last level.
I wish I could play FPS games on consoles. I just have too much difficulty aiming precisely without a mouse, regardless of whether or not I inverted the Y-axis. And the games that DON'T allow that option...

My most difficult game would probably be The Feeble Files. It had some major math/logic puzzles in it that I was not expecting. Nothing stops a story-driven adventure game dead in its tracks like the quadratic formula (of course, if that were actually the case in this game, it would have been easier). Also, I've never finished a Myst type game beyond the first puzzle or two. Except for Zork Nemesis.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:50 PM   #15
delusions of adequacy

I'd have to say : Blinx - The time sweeper.

I found Ninja Gaiden a cake walk, but I just couldn't finish Blinx. Some people claimed they where defeated by its 10 minute time limit on every level, some claimed to be defeated by the difficulty in aiming. I'm more honest and just admit I was defeated by an inability to play a white pussy cat wielding a vacuum who rewards themselves after a hard days vacuuming by going to a shop and buying new outfits and/or a new vacuum.

Kudos for the designers trying to target the female gamer though.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:12 AM   #16
gin soaked boy

I'm ready to lick the shoes of anyone who gets past the last stage of Zuma Deluxe!

I also think it's the most ingenious game design since Tetris.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:32 AM   #17
pain is love

Civilization. And strategy games in general. I'm such a moronic strategist, my civilization was so primitive, that at one point in the game my knights battled against tanks (this is actually true, believe it or not)! You're right, at that point I stopped playing it.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 03-04-2005, 01:38 AM   #18
Adventure Addict

Old 03-04-2005, 01:55 AM   #19
tha evil one

Now playing Hitchhiker's Guide from here http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocom.php - yep, ConcreteRancor is right, thats the hardest
Old 03-04-2005, 04:03 AM   #20
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

For me, it would be:

Icewind Dale (top down RPG by Black Isle for those not int know)

Compared to Baldurs Gate, which BTW I find so much easier and less buggy, IWD can be so difficult. You can literally have hordes of frickin' monsters attacking you from all angles (in excess of 20 sometimes) and you will find it can take so many attempts until you figure out a strategy to beat it.

I remember trying to beat Yxunomei in Dragons Eye.....egads that took about 8 attempts!

The only FPS I have had problems beating, was playing the map Arcane on Godlike in Singleplayer Unreal Tournament. The Skaarj are nigh on impossible to hit, even if you are a good player, and they know exactly where you will be at the precise time to lay a Headshot on ya!! (cheating-wallhacking-bots )

I think this took me a good 11 attempts to beat that map, as bots can rack up frags so much quicker than you can.

Oh, the part in MOHAA when you have stormed the beach and have to run through that minefield past the MG42; thats a bitch too.

AF

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!