You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Half-Life 2 and why it isn't even half fun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I'm looking for a demo of KOTOR, but can't find any. Is there really no demo for it?
No, but that's not because they're ashamed of their product
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
I agree with that. I shelved KotOR after about 12 hours. I resented the inability to explore. Like the markers in the Sand Planet that would stop you from deviating, forcing you where the game wanted you to go. And the story and character were not at all intrguing to me. Fallout did it all better, IMO.
I haven't played Fallout, but wasn't that a top-down game? It takes considerably more production cost (and effort, ofcourse) to do it in the way KOTOR did it, I would venture to guess. Aside from being 3d, KOTOR also has voice-overs for all conversations, which, from what I read, Fallout wasn't too big on. I think it aims for a more 'cinematic' experience, and succeeds. And about the sand dunes, what more would you have liked to see? A vast and empty but explorable desert? More NPCs/locations there for you to visit? Granted, Tatooine was one of the less lengthy planets, but it wasn't that bad, was it? How far into the game did you go? Did you only go as far as Taris and Tatooine?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #82
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
No, but that's not because they're ashamed of their product
So much for me getting to try it out then.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #83
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
I agree with that. I shelved KotOR after about 12 hours. I resented the inability to explore. Like the markers in the Sand Planet that would stop you from deviating, forcing you where the game wanted you to go. And the story and character were not at all intrguing to me. Fallout did it all better, IMO.
KOTOR got the best game last year in the game developers choice award. This award is the most prestigious award in the gaming industry. http://www.igda.org/awards/archive_2004.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresie
It also got the Excellence in Writing award and Original Game Character of the Year which might explain why girls seem to like it. Storywise, I think, it beats the starwars movies with its depth.

Firefox rules
Old 01-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #84
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
KOTOR got the best game last year in the game developers choice award. This award is the most prestigious award in the gaming industry. http://www.igda.org/awards/archive_2004.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresie
My g/f did too, and she hates Star Wars. She just got into the quests, the story, the characters... she's a big bookreader, so my guess is the plot enveloped her. She's the sort of person that reads 600 page novels with small writing in about a day, and English isn't her first language.

Says a lot about Bioware's storytelling talent.
It also got the Excellence in Writing award and Original Game Character of the Year which might explain why girls seem to like it. Storywise, I think, it beats the starwars movies with its depth.

Firefox rules
Old 01-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #85
Epinionated.

It beats them with a hammer, saws them into pieces and then buries them in the woods.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:37 AM   #86

Good for KotOR. Lots of people seem to love it. I found it a servicable commerical game. Solid, well built. No complaints other than I didn't particulary see any reason to continue playing like I did a game like Anachronox or Fallout. Just no reason to rave that I could see. The recorded sound was cool at first till you realized half the lauguages were like tulip roots talking. I played through Taris, the Sand World and part of the water worlds and never really heard any writing out of the ordinary. And despite all the "it ain't Star Wars" claims, it sure looked, tasted and fel like Star Wars to me. I might finish it someday.

EDIT: Technicially is was admirable. It just felt cold to me.

Last edited by scout; 01-30-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #87
merely human

I can understand what you mean, scout. But for me personally it would be unfair to use one single game as the unerring standard by which to measure every single game of its ilk for rest of eternity. As much as I had fun with, say, Serious Sam, I can't compare it to Half-Life, even though they're both first person shooters. I prefer to judge a game on its own merits with perhaps a side trip to how other games have done particular elements they all share.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #88

Naw, I'm just bitching about KotOR mainly because I just abandoned it. I take every game on its own terms, one at a time. My feeling for KotOR doesn't relflect on any other game, be it Riven, Planescape Torment, Morrowind, or Noctropolis. ....

Yes....they're all special little snowflakes.

Last edited by scout; 01-30-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #89
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

Same situation as me scout, I felt KotOR wasn't that addicting for me. It was like a meal that went cold and I didn't want to eat it anymore. That and being evil never really changed the progression of the storyline...so meh
Old 01-30-2005, 10:10 PM   #90
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Good for KotOR. Lots of people seem to love it. I found it a servicable commerical game. Solid, well built. No complaints other than I didn't particulary see any reason to continue playing like I did a game like Anachronox or Fallout. Just no reason to rave that I could see. The recorded sound was cool at first till you realized half the lauguages were like tulip roots talking. I played through Taris, the Sand World and part of the water worlds and never really heard any writing out of the ordinary. And despite all the "it ain't Star Wars" claims, it sure looked, tasted and fel like Star Wars to me. I might finish it someday.

EDIT: Technicially is was admirable. It just felt cold to me.
Huh. My personal opinion of the game was the opposite. My issues with the game are all technical, like the clumsy way of handling inventory and the fact that the game's use of OpenGL causes it to crash on a lot of ATI video cards.

Other than that, I loved the writing, the environments, and so on.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 AM   #91

Huh? Bummer. I played it on an ATI 9600XT/XP Sp2 without a hitch or a single crash. Like buttah.

Won't argue about the inventory management though. That was just a minor annoyance for me compared to the "not-getting-my-groove-on-thing".
Old 01-31-2005, 01:32 AM   #92
merely human

I played it on Xbox. Crashes? Wot's that?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-31-2005, 01:40 AM   #93
Epinionated.

X-Box doesn't have the little extras the PC version does though.

After patching KOTOR ran smooth on my ATI machine. Verrry nice.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:46 AM   #94
merely human

I didn't give a damn about the extras. NYAH!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:13 AM   #95
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Huh? Bummer. I played it on an ATI 9600XT/XP Sp2 without a hitch or a single crash. Like buttah.
Yeah, I've got an X800 Pro. The drivers that work best with KOTOR are those before the X800 came out, so I can't use them. Apparently the issue has been getting better with each new set of drivers released, though.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:04 AM   #96
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

I played it with a 9800 pro and it would crash often on auto-save and loading :/
But maybe that's cause I had an illegit version? lol
Old 01-31-2005, 10:08 AM   #97
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I played it on Xbox. Crashes? Wot's that?
It crashed at least 2 times on the XBOX. It would just freeze. Also there were some major slow downs sometimes.

Firefox rules
Old 01-31-2005, 11:04 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
It crashed at least 2 times on the XBOX. It would just freeze. Also there were some major slow downs sometimes.
Plus I read there are some serious showstopper bugs on the xbox version which render your game unplayable - like doing something in a particular order early on in the game will block you later on in the game.

And sadly, Sith Lords (xbox) also suffers from the same "jerkiness" bug which occurs when you get above 100 savegames, for some reason combat will slow you down to about 5 fps
Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM   #99
Homer of Kittens

I have a general question. How do you patch a console game if it is buggy? Is there a way ?

Firefox rules
Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 PM   #100
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
And sadly, Sith Lords (xbox) also suffers from the same "jerkiness" bug which occurs when you get above 100 savegames, for some reason combat will slow you down to about 5 fps
Why the hell would anyone want to save 100 games?!