You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General So, uh. Mercenaries?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 06:19 AM   #1
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool
Default So, uh. Mercenaries?

Has anyone tried it? I liked some of Pandemic's past games (Battlezone II was ace and Dark Reign 2 was pretty good as well) and have usually tried keeping up on their games but I somehow nearly totally ignored Mercenaries. Then I suddenly realized it was nearly out and noticed the very positive reviews. Now that I've played it, color me surprised. It's pretty good.

It basically takes place in North Korea in the near future. The nation's leader is murdered by his own son, Song, who then seizes power and scares the world with his formidable nuclear arsenal. Then several factions invade the country as a counter to Song's threats. Cue lots and lots of explosions and mayhem.

You pick one of three mercenaries (Swedish, British or American) employed by an independant corporation called ExOps. You take contracts from various factions in the battlefield and have to hunt down General Song's men while earning cash (Song's main henchmen are identified using a deck of cards, similar to the U.S. army's methods in Iraq). But the real fun kicks in when you discover all the fun toys you get to use: Air support via artillery, missile launchers and gunships, various tanks, jeeps choppers and other assorted vehicles and lots of rocket launchers and automatic weapons. It's fun to rain down destruction upon your enemies with all this stuff.

Even the tallest buildings crumble to dust if hit with enough firepower, which makes for lots of eye candy. Explosions will also make car wrecks and other junk fly into the air. The musical score is also really good, sort of reminds me of the orchestrated pieces from Outcast or that infamous Duke Nukem Forever trailer. The game even has unique boss levels.

An even more unique thing about this game is the use of in-jokes to LucasArts' other games. No, there aren't any Sam & Max or Loom unlockables or anything, but they do have some funny pokes at Star Wars and Indiana Jones, among others. In this post-LucasArts era where they've nearly become an empty shell totally out of touch with their past fans, this is a nice nod to gamers, even if a majority of the jokes are Star Wars-related. It would have been awesome to see a Max cameo in there somewhere, but some things are too good to be true.

I'd call it a mix of Jungle Strike, Hunter (That old Atari/Amiga game) and GTA. If you can hunt down a PS2 or Xbox demo, I urge you to try it. You might be pleasantly surprised by this game, no matter how generic it may sound in this forum post of mine (The game isn't coming to the PC though, sorry... ).
Old 01-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #2

Yep, I've tried it on PS2. Its pretty good I must say.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

It's been getting good reviews all over the net, doubt it will sell well though.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I suspect it will sell fine. It has really nicely done marketing, to be honest, and an appealing concept (blow everything up a lot, however you want).

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

I'll have to take your word for it Jake, since i live on old continent i have no idea what kind of marketing was put out for this game.

It's nice to see LEC finally investing some of the funds on marketing department.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #6

Yeah I see on Gamespot that it's selling pretty well. Of the top 10 selling console games, it's second and third (XBox and PS2). Though personally I'm not a big fan of this type of game.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I've heard from LucasArts that it's doing well as well.If only they'd put that money from Mercenaries into a certain dog and rabbit

Old 01-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Homer of Kittens

How can't you sell when the commercial for the game says. "Blow crap up". "Blow it up some more"

Firefox rules
Old 01-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #9

When I discovered the little LucasArts jokes in the game I was sort of hoping within the deepest recesses of my mind that there would be a Max cameo or easter egg somewhere, like they used to do in the old days. Sadly, there was none such thing.

Hell, the Gold Guy isn't even animated in the intro logo for the game. Damn it, LucasArts, you're not even trying anymore. You've just become yet another faceless publisher.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I thought the commercial for this game was pretty stupid.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #11
The Dartmaster

I don't think much of the commercial either, but I suspect it will have pretty broad appeal amongst people who play games because "you can totally blow up guys and it looks awesome," which is a lot of people. And, let's be honest here, it is fun to blow up a lot of guys and have it look awesome. As long as that's not all there is.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Disciplined Breakdown

Oh so your one of those people whos not happy to just look at explosions eh? What do you want? Story? That costs money. Money better put into explosions.

So the games actually pretty good eh? I must admit, I'm surprised.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #13
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I don't think much of the commercial either, but I suspect it will have pretty broad appeal amongst people who play games because "you can totally blow up guys and it looks awesome," which is a lot of people. And, let's be honest here, it is fun to blow up a lot of guys and have it look awesome. As long as that's not all there is.
I know, I just mean it came off as really really cheesy. It didn't have quite the intended effect on me.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-20-2005, 02:39 AM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinkie
Oh so your one of those people whos not happy to just look at explosions eh? What do you want? Story? That costs money. Money better put into explosions.
< blows up Skinkie >

:eek: Cool.

< blows him up some more >

Awesome!

EDIT: LMAO! I just saw the TV spot over at Gametrailers. Screw it, I'd buy the game just 'cause the commercial made me laugh!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 01-20-2005 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:26 AM   #15
Epinionated.

I just checked the trailers. THAT GAME LOOKS LIKE A BLAST! (pun intended)

Any news on a PC version? Please... that in 1600X1200 res blowing stuff up on my 22inch monitor would be trés superb.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:39 AM   #16

I know, this game would probably be a huge hit on PC. But it seems that it's gonna be console-exclusive... for now, at least.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #17
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I just checked the trailers. THAT GAME LOOKS LIKE A BLAST! (pun intended)

Any news on a PC version? Please... that in 1600X1200 res blowing stuff up on my 22inch monitor would be trés superb.
Nope apparently, the PC audience isn't much into blowing the crap out of something, and then blowing the crap out of it some more. They just like to set it on fire and watch it turn into ashes. We PC Junkies are a more patient sadistic breed.

Firefox rules
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #18
BigRobot

I'm liking the game. I think it's probably the most successful of the "me too" GTA-inspired games, because it doesn't try to beat GTA at its own game.

A lot of the more open, free-form games out there have been labeled "sandboxes," and I feel that this term has never applied better than with Mercenaries. Unlike with GTA's rather scripted, linear missions, you're usually given a basic objective to defeat, and how you do it is totally up to you. There's just so many options and the amount of freedom here is really this game's greatest achievement. The Gamespy review really hits it when the reviewer says "I can't remember the last time I played a game in which I wondered whether something could be done, and nine times out of ten it actually could be. . ."

I'm having so much fun just collecting bounties...

Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #19
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Mercenaries almost makes up for RTX Red Rock. Almost.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 01-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #20
BigRobot

Two totally different development teams. Thankfully.