Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Worst Games of 2004 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/6151-worst-games-2004-a.html)

SamandMax 12-26-2004 03:40 PM

Worst Games of 2004

Everyone seems to concentrate on naming the best games of 2004, so let's name some games that everyone should avoid.

I'll start with Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain. I was a huge, huge fan of the SF games, having finished the first 3, but this new one was just...strangely awful. At no point during development, not one person noticed how unfun this game was to play? I hope no one else has to pay money to play it like I did, because this game should've never been made.

Marian 12-26-2004 04:55 PM

Well, I will name the one that practically jumps out and bites me on the neck: Forever Worlds. For starters, most of the people who installed the game couldn't get it to run at all. If you managed to triumph over that, which involved making sure you installed certain components in a certain order, you were "treated" to an unresponsive cursor, a tedious maze, drops to the desktop, graphical glitches, and just about any other irritating problem with a game that one might mention. :(

Ninja Dodo 12-26-2004 05:58 PM

Worst games lists always end up being a lists of most overhyped games because nobody actually plays the really really bad games, so I'll kick that off with...

- DOOM3! Haha! Wow, I played it for an hour or something and I watched my housemate play it and dear mother of lucifer is it boring. I never liked the original to begin with so that doesn't help as it's basically the same game but with normal maps and a script.

BigRobot 12-26-2004 06:37 PM

Gamespot had a great feature on what it felt 2004's worst games were, and it's really hard to argue with 'em.

Their list featured a cheesey anti-terrorist action game, where the climax is you duking it out with Osama Bin Laden Street Fighter-style, a hostage-rescuing game, wherein the AI was so bad, that the hostages were literally impossible to rescue, because they would constantly get stuck to walls and other objects, if they would move at all, and finally, a trucking "game" that actually contains no gameplay (you literally have nothing to do but drive forward until you run into a wall or something, which you'll clip right through and drive on into digital oblivion).

LeisureSuitedLooney 12-26-2004 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRobot
and finally, a trucking "game" that actually contains no gameplay (you literally have nothing to do but drive forward until you run into a wall or something, which you'll clip right through and drive on into digital oblivion).

lol, sounds like Big Rigs, arguably the most-talked-about and least-played game this year. Just reading the reviews and seeing the clips, this one deserves its own special category, like Most Ineptly Designed Game EVER.

lol, my favorite part is the "You Are WINNER!" that supposedly followed every race...if you can call a 1-vehicle road a "race"...

Ninja Dodo 12-27-2004 03:20 AM

How fast can meowis be banned I wonder?

That's pretty fast.

Estoy Loco 12-30-2004 01:13 AM

I've actually played Big Rigs(its about five bucks if you wanna buy it) and... wow. It's really out there. Pretty good for a laugh or two. No speed limit(the way your rig can fly across the ground is just *D ), your opponent never moves, you can go through anything...Too many things to list here, that's for sure. :D

Cyrax 12-30-2004 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Worst games lists always end up being a lists of most overhyped games because nobody actually plays the really really bad games, so I'll kick that off with...

- DOOM3! Haha! Wow, I played it for an hour or something and I watched my housemate play it and dear mother of lucifer is it boring. I never liked the original to begin with so that doesn't help as it's basically the same game but with normal maps and a script.

LOL! you must be kidding that game has high quality graphics and has great gameplay.

The worst game probably be one of those movie games, there always the worst.

KamisoriX 12-30-2004 04:59 AM

for me it was Marine SharpShooter 2.....i don't know why I always play those 10 bucks games....probably because it makes me feel like I could release a game and it would outbeat any of those... :crazy:

Tanukitsune 12-30-2004 05:47 AM

That advergame made to promote Anaconda: In search of the black orchid was dreadfull, and I end up liking games other people think are bad... :P

Which reminds me, one of theses day I must get me a copy of Daitakana and see what the fuss was all about... But I'm guessing it was just overhyped?

LeisureSuitedLooney 12-30-2004 05:48 AM

Catwoman was supposed to be pretty bad as a game, not that it's a huge surprise, given how bad the reviews for the movie were. And how bad movie-based games usually are.

Ninja Dodo 12-30-2004 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrax
LOL! you must be kidding that game has high quality graphics and has great gameplay.

The worst game probably be one of those movie games, there always the worst.

As I said, most overhyped game, not worst game...

The graphics though adequate and well made don't appeal to me and the actual gameplay is no different from the brainless original. If you enjoy shooting lots of random stuff in depressing environments Doom 3 is your game.

BigRobot 12-30-2004 07:16 AM

I actually feel that the original played better. Doom 3's gameplay was pretty mediocre, in my opinion, and just didn't satisfy.

Catbert 12-30-2004 10:04 AM

Doom3 had everything going for it. Great graphics, great sound and light effects, really scary and all.

Except whoever did the game thought "let's make a tech demo instead of a GAME and sell it as a game!", and so they did. It was BOOOORING and repetitive like hell. That doesn't make it one of the worst of this year, though, as you had The Sims 2 out.

Eye-Z 12-31-2004 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo

ima have to agree me and my cousin bought it for £2 ripped thank god

played it for half an hour then used it as a tea coster

SamNMax 12-31-2004 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbert
That doesn't make it one of the worst of this year, though, as you had The Sims 2 out.

Yeah, I never understood people who get hooked on The Sims games. The only fun about them is decorating houses. Living your Sim's life just sucks.

adfegg 01-12-2005 09:56 AM

One game I really looked forward to, and was ultimately disapointed with, was Headhunter: Redemption. Aside from the fact that it was postponed twice(from Feb 27 to June 4, and then to Aug 27), the controls SUCKED! Made me feel I was playing with a broken controller.

Lucien21 01-12-2005 10:03 AM

Worst game I played was LSL: Magna Cum Laude

Zack 01-12-2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Worst game I played was LSL: Magna Cum Laude

That just reminded me about Saturday, when my Mom, dad, and I were in Best Buy. I was in the computer game section, looking for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, when my Mom showed me a copy of Leisure Suit Larry: Magnum Cum Laude. But, I said no thanks, because of some bad reviews I read on the Internet. Looking back, I don't regret making that decision, and I'm glad about that.

Sorry if this is off-topic, though. I didn't play many games last year, so I can't figure out if there were any that I played that were bad.

P.S. PC Gamer didn't like the game in their holiday game issue last year. In fact, I think they gave it a pretty low score.

100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja 01-12-2005 03:28 PM

Worst game I actually tried to play: Midnight Nowhere. That were a few quite awful hours. No one to talk to, just going in and out of the 3-4 same rooms, and then advancing to another 3-4 rooms, with randomly closed doors. Boring as hell...