Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Survival Horror & More (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/6044-survival-horror-more.html)

Bastich 12-18-2004 04:34 PM

Survival Horror & More

I am a huge fan of the horror genre and am trying to come up with a list of Survival Horror and similar type games that have been released on the PC. Below are the ones I can think of at the moment. Are there any others I have missed? Are any of these inaccurate to describe as such? I am not necessarily concerned with the quality or age of the games, as I am just seeking as complete a list as possible.

Survival Horror
Alone in the Dark 1-4
Blair Witch 1-3
Curse: The Eye of Isis
D
Devil Inside, The
Dino Crisis 1-2
Enemy Zero
Evil Dead: Hail to the King
From Dusk Till Dawn
Martian Gothic: Unification
Nocturne
Obscure
Resident Evil 1-3
Shade: Wrath of Angels
Silent Hill 2-4
Suffering, The
Thing, The
Zombieville

FPS Horror
Alien vs. Predator 1-2
Blood 1-2
Doom 1-3
Half-Life 1-2
House of the Dead
Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi
Painkiller
Quake
Realms of the Haunting
System Shock 1-2
Undying

Feel free to comment on how good or bad any of them are... I am always interested in the opinions of others.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[Remember I am talking PC only at this point]

ConcreteRancor 12-18-2004 05:23 PM

Was Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick released on PC or not?

Evil Dead games should probably win the award for Worst Fouling-Up of potentially great games.

Jackal 12-18-2004 05:24 PM

To that list I'd add Dino Crisis 1 & 2 and From Dusk Till Dawn. They're all supposed to suck, but they are Survival Horror.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-18-2004 06:09 PM

System Shock
System Shock 2

This series is more RPG, but that is merely technical. The overall mood is that of survival horror.

ConcreteRancor 12-18-2004 06:22 PM

Survival Horror:

n. A genre of video game in which monsters will come through windows.
adj. Describing a video game in which monsters will come through windows.

- From the Penny Arcade Dictionary

Tanukitsune 12-19-2004 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Survival Horror:

n. A genre of video game in which monsters will come through windows.
adj. Describing a video game in which monsters will come through windows.

- From the Penny Arcade Dictionary

According to some people Doom 3 is Survival Horror... :shifty:
Let's see...
"D" was released for PC, I have it myself...

Ninja Dodo 12-19-2004 02:56 AM

I'd say Half Life and it's sequel to some extent are survival horror.

Kolorabi 12-19-2004 03:08 AM

You've forgotten Obscure (also known as Mortifilia). It's pretty good, brilliant if you play with a friend. I have only tried this on the PS2, but I know it's possible on the PC-version as well.

I would probably also put in the Alien Vs. Predator titles. Pretty scary stuff. They kind of put me off the entire genre for a while, because I thought it was just too unpleasant to play them :)

Of the ones you listed, my favourite is The Suffering. Really good game, it was released on the PC around the same time as Doom 3, now that I've played them both, I'd say it's far superior, both as a horror experience and as an actual game (it has that "gameplay" thing that the guys at id forgot to put in..)

Bastich 12-19-2004 08:07 AM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I have updated the list in the first post and have added a Horror FPS list. I am also interested in those.

Bastich 12-19-2004 08:10 AM

Has anyone played these and are they Survival Horror or what?

Bloodrayne
Nightmare Creatures
Flesh Feast

Tanukitsune 12-19-2004 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastich
Has anyone played these and are they Survival Horror or what?

Bloodrayne
Nightmare Creatures
Flesh Feast

Bloodrayne: A big breasted vampire hunter game, lots of blood and mosnters...
Nightmare Creatures: A Victorian game with lots of gore and gremlins too...
Hmm, I guess they are Survival Horror...
I never heard of Flesh Fest...
Apparently any game with monsters in it (not cute ones like Pokémon) are Survival Horror... :shifty:

Intrepid Homoludens 12-19-2004 11:10 AM

There's also Curse: Eye of Isis. Survival horror with an Ancient Egyptian and Victorian theme (PC and Xbox). I got it for Xbox, but it's rather lame. [shrugs]

Bastich 12-19-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
Bloodrayne: A big breasted vampire hunter game..

Survival Horror or not, with a description like that, I am practically forced against my will to purchase it.

Quote:

Apparently any game with monsters in it (not cute ones like Pokémon) are Survival Horror...

I don't have a lot of experience with the games to make the distinction myself, hence why I am asking. I have only played to the end Silent Hill 1-3 and AITD4. I have briefly played some of the RE games, Blue Stinger, Nocturne, & Onimusha. I like the combination of solving puzzles with battling/running from monsters of some sort. Ultimately, that is what I am looking for.

I am considering purchasing some consoles to get access to more of these types of games, but I have to figure out if there are any VGA converter boxes or something to play them through my computer monitor. I can't stand playing games on a TV.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-19-2004 12:20 PM

You need to play Silent Hill. That one actually looks best on a t.v., surprisingly.

Bastich 12-19-2004 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You need to play Silent Hill. That one actually looks best on a t.v., surprisingly.

I already played it via emulation on my PC...

Actually, now that I mentioned it, how well does emulation work for some of these other console games? Anyone?

Tanukitsune 12-19-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastich
Survival Horror or not, with a description like that, I am practically forced against my will to purchase it.

I don't have a lot of experience with the games to make the distinction myself, hence why I am asking. I have only played to the end Silent Hill 1-3 and AITD4. I have briefly played some of the RE games, Blue Stinger, Nocturne, & Onimusha. I like the combination of solving puzzles with battling/running from monsters of some sort. Ultimately, that is what I am looking for.

I am considering purchasing some consoles to get access to more of these types of games, but I have to figure out if there are any VGA converter boxes or something to play them through my computer monitor. I can't stand playing games on a TV.

I remember making a thread long ago about the connection between Survival Horror and adventure games....
I think that Survival Horror games should be action-adventure hybrids and pure action games don't qualify, but apperently, I'm the only one who thinks this way... :shifty:

Intrepid Homoludens 12-19-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

I think that Survival Horror games should be action-adventure hybrids and pure action games don't qualify, but apperently, I'm the only one who thinks this way... :shifty:

:pan:
:crazy:
Tanuk

You forget me, you lamer.

Tanukitsune 12-19-2004 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
:pan:
:crazy:
Tanuk

You forget me, you lamer.

Two peebles don't make a beach... :P
But two Wrights made a plane...
And three is a crowd...
I don't know where I'm going with this... :crazy:

ConcreteRancor 12-20-2004 11:08 PM

Since we're looking at FPS horror now too, I think that some element of that was in the Thief games. You do deal with zombies, after all.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-20-2004 11:15 PM

I had great fun 'introducing' the zombies to the burricks. Yep. :D

That looks like a relatively short list, actually. Remember guys, Call of Cthulhu and Fahrenheit are coming. wooHOO!! 8-)