You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Museum of Underappreciated Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 05:49 PM   #1

Default The Museum of Underappreciated Games

Reuters had an interesting article about older gaming gems that had been forgotten and buried under more high-profile titles. You can read it here . In the article, the author suggests some nominees into what he calls "The Museum of Underappreciated Games." He seems to have a love for adventure gaming. And indeed, such a museum would probably be full to the brim with adventure games.

What games would you like to see inducted into this museum and why?
Old 12-11-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
No justice. Only me.

Grim Fandango (OBVIOUSLY, probably tops them all)
No One Lives Forever (1 and 2)
Freedom Force
The Longest Journey
Syberia (1, not 2)
Shivers (Again, 1, not 2)
Old 12-11-2004, 06:38 PM   #3

I'd nominate Thief (the whole series), System Shock 2 (haven't tried 1), and Heroes of Might and Magic 1 & 2 (haven't tried the others). But I'm not really sure how those games rate popularity wise, so I don't know how underappreciated they are.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
I'd nominate Thief (the whole series), System Shock 2 (haven't tried 1), and Heroes of Might and Magic 1 & 2 (haven't tried the others). But I'm not really sure how those games rate popularity wise, so I don't know how underappreciated they are.
Very much agree with Thief and System Shock. Haven't played HoMM though.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Grim Fandango (OBVIOUSLY, probably tops them all)
No One Lives Forever (1 and 2)
Freedom Force
The Longest Journey
Syberia (1, not 2)
Shivers (Again, 1, not 2)
I started playing Grim Fandango today for the First time, and the game is awesome. And today my order for The Longest Journey and Syberia also came in, so I've things to look forward to.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #6
More slaw!!!

I don't know. What makes a game underappreciated?

We can say Grim Fandango, for example, and even the article mentions it, but I don't think it is underappreciated. Obviously most adventure gamers love it, but anyone I know, or anyone I've discussed things with over the 'net, that is or has ever been a hardcore gamer has thought very highly of Grim Fandango.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I don't know. What makes a game underappreciated?
I think the sales figures.

As far as the museum goes, In addition to Grim Fandengo, I would add beyond good and evil.

Firefox rules
Old 12-12-2004, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Very much agree with Thief and System Shock. Haven't played HoMM though.
Play them! I don't even like Strategy games, but I found the HoMM games (at least 2, 3 and the snippet I played of 4) to be really enjoyable. If you play in campaign mode, there's even a story that leads from one map to the next. Gorgeous graphics, intuitive interface, awesome music (especially in 2, there's operatic tracks for each hero type). Go find and go play.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:36 AM   #9
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I don't even remember it in much detail anymore, but HOMM2 really devoured a lot of my time back when it came out.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-12-2004, 03:13 AM   #10
A Servicable Villain

Grim Fandango was definitely not underappreciated. Legions of adventuregamers are still seeing it as the best adventure ever and it was critically acclaimed in most all articles. Just because it didn't sell, doesn't mean it's underappreciated. The same goes for NOLF2 in my opinion. I think the gams that are most apt for this denominator are the games no one ever talks about, ever, period. Like Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Old 12-12-2004, 03:19 AM   #11
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I think they mean games that deserved more mainstream attention, rather than a hardcore adventurers following.

I reckon Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders should have a spot, because it's damned awesome, and not all that many people, even adventure fans, have played it. Well, except the entire population of Germany, it seems.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #12
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I really enjoyed my time playing through Arcanum , and, as someone else said, Shivers . Also liked the 4th Alone in the Dark game, had a really scary atmosphere. Considering that among my friends and contacts, none had ever played these games, I consider them underdogs, underrated, and underapreciated.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:43 AM   #13

Let me use this topic to promote once again the criminally underappreciated game Dark Earth . Grim Fandango is of course another prime example of a game that deserved much more popularity when it was released. Unlike Grim, which in my opinion DID achieve some kind of cult status, Dark Earth didn't. What a shame .
Old 12-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #14
Mostly absent

Outcast and Gabriel Knight 3. Way too few people have played these two jewels.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:32 AM   #15
A Servicable Villain

Ooh, Dark Earth. I'm gonna play that one again soon, I will. Haven't done so in many years. I enjoyed it and its atmosphere greatly. Back when it was released there were talks about there being a series of books, and animations and all that stuff. But that never really came off the ground. Pity, the world certainly had potential, and throughout the game there's a good feeling of there being lots of things untold. Without compromising the epicness of it all -an impressive feat, to say the least.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:34 AM   #16
Adventurer

To add to the other great titles already "nominated" (grim, TLJ, etc..) I'd suggest BS3.
IMO, it was underappreciated by non-adventure gamers and adventure gamers alike. It didn't sell well, and almost everyone (or at least it seemed like everyone) tore it apart because of its controls and "box puzzles". Honestly were they that bad?
For me, it was a game that absorbed you in, with great graphics, sound, cinematics, humour and excitement. You could tell it was made by people who love adventures, although since BS3 wasn't very successful, (AFAIK)they're having to downsize their future projects.

William
Old 12-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #17
Freeware Co-ordinator

Are games still underappreciated if they got a second go? Grim Fandango was still commercially available until comparatively recently over here in a full rerelease addition. I bought "Under a Killing Moon" and "Gabriel Knight 3" on second release labels (Premier Collection and Sierra Originals respectively) Admittedly a rerelease of this sort won't necessarily garner great media hype but does this greater length of availability offset games not receiving due attention on their first release?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #18

I agree with Outcast. Quite a brilliant and innovative game. Even when you play it today, it still feels unique and epic unlike any other game released since then. And if you use a hack to raise the resolution it doesn't even look that bad for such an old game.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:02 PM   #19
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'd like a spot for Loom, because it would bug AGA, and because I believe that it's a classic.

Can I nominate Anachronox and In Memoriam?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #20
ski

I would say Hitchcock: The Final Cut