You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Museum of Underappreciated Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 03:18 AM   #21
Evil Webmaster

Well, I thank AG for making me play Blackstone Chronicles, so I guess I nominate that one. Oh, and also Shannara. Both Legend games, what a coincidence

(p.s. Dark Earth is one helluva game)
So there you go
Old 12-13-2004, 04:46 AM   #22
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

The Last Express

'nuff said
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 12-13-2004, 05:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Well, I thank AG for making me play Blackstone Chronicles, so I guess I nominate that one. Oh, and also Shannara. Both Legend games, what a coincidence

(p.s. Dark Earth is one helluva game)
Every Legend game is an underappreciated game. (except perhaps Wheel of Time, which I haven't played, but I'm pretty sure it was an interesting game anyway)
Old 12-13-2004, 05:26 AM   #24
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrose
Play them! I don't even like Strategy games, but I found the HoMM games (at least 2, 3 and the snippet I played of 4) to be really enjoyable. If you play in campaign mode, there's even a story that leads from one map to the next. Gorgeous graphics, intuitive interface, awesome music (especially in 2, there's operatic tracks for each hero type). Go find and go play.
Totally agree, I think everyone should try to play HoMM, at least one of the first three (hated the last sequel). It's like a strategy for dummies, anyone can play it, even the pure action-gamers. I remember playing it in hot seat with my friends, we played it for days.

And, in refer to wheel of time, I have to say i didn't like it at all, especially 'cause I couldm't decide which genre it was. It wasn't an FPS, nor an RPG nor... I could never understand the hype around it...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 12-13-2004, 05:29 AM   #25
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

The last express and Gabriel knight 3, I'd say.
Both have incredibly immense plots and deep characterisation.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 AM   #26
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Every Legend game is an underappreciated game. (except perhaps Wheel of Time, which I haven't played, but I'm pretty sure it was an interesting game anyway)
That was my point with the 'coincidence', and btw before playing throughly Shannara & co. I thought Legend games generally sucked, having played only the Wheel of Time (which was, in my opinion, a rather interesting idea applied on an uninteresting fps).
So there you go
Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #27
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Toonstruck, Beyond Good and Evil, Planescape: Torment, Discworld: Noir, Tex Murphy: Overseer and Black Dahlia come to mind.

Can't be absolutely positive as to their sales' failure but from what I gather they qualify for the Underappreciated Museum.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 12-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #28
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'd like a spot for Loom, because it would bug AGA, and because I believe that it's a classic.

Loom is most definetely a classic.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #29
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I have to definately say, that LOOM is underrated.

*Vive le jeux "LOOM"!*

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:33 PM   #30
Dungeon Master

I agree with most of the titles mentioned (though while I think HoMM series kicks ass indeed, I'd never think of it as unsuccessful, be it commercially or critically), especially Loom, Legend's creations and Planescape: Torment. I feel like Riddle of Master Lu and Sanitarium should definitely be added to the list.

PS. Shhh, Soccerdude, sorry for ranting, but it's Grim Fandango - or is there any specific reason you misspell it?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:11 PM   #31

Heroes of Might and Magic series
Planescape: Torment
Sanitarium
Old 12-14-2004, 12:44 AM   #32
Oh no he is purple

Send a message via MSN to Nude

Tex murphy Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and Overseer...
Old 12-14-2004, 01:50 AM   #33
Evil Webmaster

Yeah, Planescape: Torment is also a good choice, must be the only Black Isle RPG that I enjoyed after Fallout, it definitely had an interesting plot and some really good characters (Morte voiced by Dan Castellaneta, you gotta love 'im). To think I could sell it on eBay for crazy prices, it's pretty rare here in italy and every copy goes for 30/40€... but I like that game too much. Damn.
So there you go
Old 12-14-2004, 06:32 AM   #34

There are so many games I would like to nominate. Star Control II, for instance, one of the best games I've ever played and one which I'm sure will appeal to adventure gamers, because of it's story-driven gameplay and incredibly well-written dialogues & characters. Ofcourse, Star Control II still has a cult-following today, but IMHO it's up there with the very best games of all time, and it's a shame that most people don't know about it.

Another game I'd like to nominate is Benefactor, a superb puzzle game which mixed the Lemmings-style gameplay with platforming action. One of Digital Illusions finest efforts, though the reviews were bad and sales were even worse. The game was only released for the Amiga.

I also think the Quest for Glory-series is underappreciated, as it's much better than the other Sierra series (except maybe Gabriel Knight), but still it doesn't get mentioned anywhere near as often as the mostly mediocre Larry games and the poorly designed Kings Quest games ("How not to design an adventure game - see Kings Quest").

And, ofcourse, TrackMania. It's popular in France and Germany, but that's about it. This seemingly simplistic driving game is one of the most enjoyable releases in the past ten or so years. Oh, and Massive Assault, a superbly playable turn-based strategy game that reminds me of classics like Battle Isle. Beautiful graphics, fantastic playability, but did it sell? Ofcourse not.

I could go on for days...
Old 12-14-2004, 12:00 PM   #35
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I was going to say Star Control II as well, but I didn't know if it was underappreciated or not. I played that game back in the day, and I absolutely loved it. My friends and I would play the singly-screen versus mode against each other (on the same keyboard) all the time, and even that was a blast.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright