Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   GTA: SA mocks real tragedy, gang experts say (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/5798-gta-sa-mocks-real-tragedy-gang-experts-say.html)

Mattsius 11-30-2004 10:16 AM

GTA: SA mocks real tragedy, gang experts say

'Grand Theft Auto' series gives credibility to lifestyle, they warn

"How Rockstar North, a game publisher based in damp Edinburgh, Scotland was able to create an interactive epic that resonates with American youth is quite a story. But for gang counselors and law enforcement, the story is not about record sales and five-starred reviews in gaming magazines. It's about telling kids on the edge that they are not a lost cause.

'For those of us out here struggling to prevent gang violence it’s frustrating to see the media glorify it," said Perez. He said he and others are struggling to prevent an all-out gang war in San Mateo County "and when you hear kids coming in here and talking about the game, it makes it a challenge to reach them.'"

SoccerDude28 11-30-2004 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattsius
'Grand Theft Auto' series gives credibility to lifestyle, they warn

"How Rockstar North, a game publisher based in damp Edinburgh, Scotland was able to create an interactive epic that resonates with American youth is quite a story. But for gang counselors and law enforcement, the story is not about record sales and five-starred reviews in gaming magazines. It's about telling kids on the edge that they are not a lost cause.

'For those of us out here struggling to prevent gang violence it’s frustrating to see the media glorify it," said Perez. He said he and others are struggling to prevent an all-out gang war in San Mateo County "and when you hear kids coming in here and talking about the game, it makes it a challenge to reach them.'"

Dude I live in San Mateo county. I actually live in the city of San Mateo itself. It is one of the most peaceful counties in the bay area. The guy sounds like he's talking about downtown Oakland or South central LA "prevent an all-out gang war in San Mateo County". Don't you like how we Americans just love blowing things out of proportion :) GTA:SA rocks and can't wait for my significant other to buy it for me for XMAS. I am buying her 2 or 3 Sims expansion packs.

Mattsius 11-30-2004 10:41 AM

You're probably right, but I didn't say that I agree with the article. I just posted it.

SoccerDude28 11-30-2004 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattsius
You're probably right, but I didn't say that I agree with the article. I just posted it.

I know. I'm just sarcastic about the way the media here in the US and people always blame everything on Video games.

Nude 11-30-2004 11:03 AM

I totally agree however I just look at the game as a game nothing more. But I am 26 years old and I have a grasp of the world and the things around me a little so a game wont trigger violence for me. however this may not be the case for the younger players... thats why they give some games mature rating... thats my idea cheers...
(and as I am not a native english speaker my english sucks sometimes sorry...)

JHousequake 11-30-2004 05:06 PM

I'll agree to an extent. Clearly the game is marketed to give white suburban kids their ultimate dream of being black gangsters without the consequences, but as long as people like Electronic Boutique would STOP selling the game to kids, then I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't say they're specifically to blame, but they seldom get any mention when it comes to matters like this.

SoccerDude28 11-30-2004 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHousequake
I'll agree to an extent. Clearly the game is marketed to give white suburban kids their ultimate dream of being black gangsters without the consequences, but as long as people like Electronic Boutique would STOP selling the game to kids, then I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't say they're specifically to blame, but they seldom get any mention when it comes to matters like this.

That's tough though with ebay and online auctions. How can you monitor that?

JHousequake 12-01-2004 02:33 PM

Well, I think online auctions aren't a big concern. Most of the time you'd need a credit card to access those sites and I can't imagine someone under the age of 12 going to those lengths.

SoccerDude28 12-01-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHousequake
Well, I think online auctions aren't a big concern. Most of the time you'd need a credit card to access those sites and I can't imagine someone under the age of 12 going to those lengths.

Yeah but the age group that most is involved with gangs I would think is 12-18. Plus on ebay, you can sometimes use cash, personal checks and money orders. Even a debit card.

fov 12-01-2004 04:52 PM

Quote:

He said he and others are struggling to prevent an all-out gang war in San Mateo County
I just about choked on my latte, this is so funny.

SoccerDude, when the sh*t hits the fan you can come stay with me in the safety of San Francisco. We'll pitch rocks into the ocean and wait for "the big one."

:D emily