Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Wanted: Best sites to buy DVDs and games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/5783-wanted-best-sites-buy-dvds-games.html)

maladroid 11-29-2004 10:29 AM

Wanted: Best sites to buy DVDs and games

I would be grateful if you could tell me which sites are, in your opinion, the best (in terms of prices and diversity) to purchase movies on DVD and computer or even console games. I live in Greece so those that don't deliver over here, won't do.

Thank you all in advance.

PS: If this thread is misplaced, mods feel free to move it wherever it should be.

RLacey 11-29-2004 11:30 AM

Play.com has some good prices, and delivery is free in the UK at least (though they seem to be making their prices higher nowadays, which annoys me.

Gameplay is good for video games, and does a sale on the last Friday of every month.

Both ship to Europe.

Kolzig 11-29-2004 12:34 PM

What do you mean play.com is making their prices higher?
At least the pc games they are selling are mostly insanely cheap, a big amount of the New games they are selling are nowadays priced with £17.99 tag.

lawrenceofarabia 11-30-2004 12:05 AM

ebay hands down.

MDMaster 11-30-2004 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Play.com has some good prices, and delivery is free in the UK at least (though they seem to be making their prices higher nowadays, which annoys me.

Actually he's right, they used to make fantastic offers every once in a while (I remember this summer: Armed & Dangerous, Freelancer, Colin Mc Rae Rally 2004, etc), now they are still making offers but at higher prices, and their PC bargains right now are rather useless. And let's forget about their Christmas offers too, I sure hope they'll update them with something interesting!

DomStLeger 11-30-2004 04:21 AM

Wow their top seller, Football Manager 2005, is going for only £18! Compare that to £25 at Gameplay.com, £27 at Game.uk.com, and £22 at Amazon.co.uk and thats pretty impressive. Pity I don't like football games.

Tanukitsune 11-30-2004 06:42 AM

I buy my new stuff at Play.com, I only use Amazon.co.uk or Gameplay when they have better offers or items Play.com doesn't....
And Ebay is always good for used items, or just old games, you might even find new games there too! Or semi-new....
And depending on what languages you know you might be able to find more stores....
You might fight some cool German or French site if you can undertand it....
Hmm, Hongkongfun seems to dead, but since I don't undestand German... :P
Once a German friend of mine made an order for me there.

Royal Fool 11-30-2004 05:16 PM

DVD Box Office is a site based in Canada that offers free global shipping (Through slow mail, but it's free at least). They have a pretty large selection of stuff too. However I've heard somewhat mixed stories from people that have shopped there, although it's mostly just praise. It seems that their email contact can be rather sluggish.

Ninja Dodo 11-30-2004 05:45 PM

CDWOW is great... mainly about music, but also does DVDs. They have pretty decent prices to start with, but here's the cool thing: you never pay any shipping!

Royal Fool 12-01-2004 02:05 AM

Ah, I see they've added some more internets recently. :P :pan:

Ninja Dodo 12-01-2004 05:49 AM

That's weird I just copied the link. It should have worked. :eek:

Anyway, try plain cdwow.com.

Kolzig 12-01-2004 07:54 AM

Ah, you guys listed all my favourite online shops.

But there is also www.dvdsoon.com

maladroid 12-01-2004 08:14 AM

Thanks everybody for their contribution.
DVDsoon doesn't seem to work but that's ok.

So does Game.uk ship outside of UK? Same goes for Chumbo.com that was mentioned in another shopping thread: couldn't figure if it ships worldwide or not...

Kolzig 12-01-2004 08:38 AM

What do you nmean it doesn't work?

At least it loads up normally on my Opera and Firefox?

maladroid 12-01-2004 08:46 AM

That's curious...

I'm possitive it didn't work before but then I post this and...
And what's that buzzing on the phone line? Well I'll have to ask Zak when I see him..

Still though many of its DVDs are Region 1 only. Guess I' ll have to stick with play.com after all ;)

Kolzig 12-01-2004 10:30 AM

Yeah, if you don't have a region free dvd player, then play.com is the best choice, but if you have a region free player and you are after for example tv series dvd box sets with insane cheap prices, then dvdsoon is your answer.

MDMaster 12-01-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texallos
So does Game.uk ship outside of UK?

Gameplay.co.uk? Yeah, it does ship outside of UK but it makes you pay 2.95 GBP for shipping in europe and 4.95 GBP outside of Europe if I'm not wrong.

Kolorabi 12-01-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fool
DVD Box Office is a site based in Canada that offers free global shipping (Through slow mail, but it's free at least). They have a pretty large selection of stuff too. However I've heard somewhat mixed stories from people that have shopped there, although it's mostly just praise.

A problem is that they don't seem to bother to remove old games from their catalogue, even when they've been out of stock for ages. I guess it's not such a big deal, since they don't take your money before they actually send the game to you, but I've got several orders that's well over a year old and still awaiting delivery of stock or something like that. It's kind of annoying, though, when something is available to order I kind of expect them to be able to sell it to me.

As for www.play.com, I notice that they're selling both Syberia games in one package, for £15. Good christmas present material. :)