You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Half-Life 2 Players Call In Sick

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Typo Queen

Default Half-Life 2 Players Call In Sick

http://news.com.com/Half-Life+2+play...bj=news.1040.5

Hundreds of buyers of "Half-Life 2," the hotly anticipated shooting game released last week, are reporting in developer Valve Software's user forums that they feel queasy and often develop a bad headache after playing the game for as little as an hour.

Far from sounding aggrieved, enthusiastic players greet the incipient hurling as evidence of the game's sophisticated graphics. "I am impressed and sickened (literally) by the level of detail," one player wrote.

Players have all kind of theories for beating the curse of the green gills, from taking Dramamine 30 minutes before playing the game to adjusting monitor settings to avoid possible conflicts with overhead lights.

We look forward to "Half-Life 3" being packaged with an airsickness bag and a Scopolamine patch.

--David Becker
Old 11-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
DAVE

CS players, pshhh.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
guybrush_guy

the only problem i had were cramped fingers from playing for 10 hours strait.

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 11-24-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLight
Hundreds of buyers of "Half-Life 2," the hotly anticipated shooting game released last week, are reporting in developer Valve Software's user forums that they feel queasy and often develop a bad headache after playing the game for as little as an hour.
:eek: Wow........is Alyx Vance really that hot?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-24-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLight
http://news.com.com/Half-Life+2+play...bj=news.1040.5

Far from sounding aggrieved, enthusiastic players greet the incipient hurling as evidence of the game's sophisticated graphics. "I am impressed and sickened (literally) by the level of detail," one player wrote.

Players have all kind of theories for beating the curse of the green gills, from taking Dramamine 30 minutes before playing the game to adjusting monitor settings to avoid possible conflicts with overhead lights.

We look forward to "Half-Life 3" being packaged with an airsickness bag and a Scopolamine patch.

--David Becker
I kinda got dizzy playing it. And my neck hurts. But then again, I can't remember any game in recent history where I spend hours hammering on the mouse and keyboard. This game is the GOD of all video games created. And I love the few adventuring pieces introduced in the game

Firefox rules
Old 11-25-2004, 04:46 AM   #6
Under pressure.

Hmmm, the game sets your refresh rate to 60 Mhz. I know I often get sick when looking at my big 21" screen with such a low rate. I can manually override the settings used by Half Life 2 (and other games) so my problem was easily solved.

--Erwin
Old 11-25-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Hmmm, the game sets your refresh rate to 60 Mhz.
You sure? I just checked and the refresh rate was set to 60 for the loading screen with Valve logo, but back to 85 (my default) in the next screen.

Then again, I might have that override thing enabled somewhere, but I don't remember where it was. Didn't find it in ATI's control panel.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:15 AM   #8
No justice. Only me.

Yeah, sorry I've been absent from the forums again for so long. I was... sick. Yeah, that's it. Sick....
Old 12-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Yeah, sorry I've been absent from the forums again for so long. I was... sick. Yeah, that's it. Sick....
hehehehe I took all last week off from work to play the game Welcome back CR

Firefox rules