You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good & Evil 2: Imagine it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
TM3

Default Beyond Good & Evil 2: Imagine it!

BG&E was one the greatest games I’ve ever played and as cliché as it sounds, it is most definitely true! The seamless gameplay, memorable characters, great music, and engrossing storyline made it so. But of course it did get good feedback but as everybody knows, it just didn’t do well in sales.

It’s been said by the creator that he originally intended this to be a trilogy. But that’s a distant dream now. So let’s just dream. Let’s do a little “what if” thread. What if there was a BG&E sequel? What would like see done in it? New gameplay ideas? New story?

The game would be much longer and the new story could wrap things up from last game but also creates a story with a lot more twists and goes much more deeper into the “beyond good and evil” theme than the previous game. Maybe it can have supposed “villains” who think what there doing is right. Or maybe it can be about Jade and her companions caught in a conflict between two forces that are fighting for control over land resources or something! The game could even expand from Hyllis and go to other planets (or even space stations).
Graphics still have the same cartoon-style but are more life-like or improved in some other way. I would like to see Jade in an altered look of her previous clothing (there was an old piece of concept art of her they did). Perhaps a long coat and she carries two dai-jo sticks which lead to spectacular animations of her swinging around, jumping in fluid motions with her weapons and coat twirling and so forth.
I’ll stop for now! 8-)
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 11-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
merely human

Hey guys, we got another new convert here!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-16-2004, 12:50 AM   #3

...I'm starting to think Trep has several user accounts here, and this is just his evil scheme of getting more people to buy BG&E.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 PM   #4

I can't wait either. I loved the first game.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Do not tease us with a game that doesn't even exist yet!
Don't even mention it again till it's at least a started project or something...

We don't want another Sam & Max 2.... If you know what I mean...
Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 PM   #6

*Imagines..

*..cries
Old 11-17-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
TM3

Oh come on guys! I’m not trying to upset anyone. If I wanted to any fans of the game, I could’ve just said: “BG&E is an artsy piece of $%#@ of an action/adventure title with a lame excuse of a leading heroine who doesn’t even have big *&%@!!!”

I’m just curious on what you guys would like to see in a sequel after playing this gem. That’s what I thought to myself when I finished the game completely (including the end of credits). I thought to myself that with a sequel it can expand on so many things from the original. Even add new features to spice things up a bit. Maybe a simplified RPG-like, level up system for Jade! Plus more teamwork with your sidekicks. Remember when you go to the old mine. That was one of the most memorable parts of the game.
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 11-17-2004, 10:58 PM   #8
merely human

Of course most of us here want a sequel, there were a few threads a while back discussing it! I wouldn't mind an RPG lite system for Jade, either. Come to think of it, BG&E II would make an excellent RPG/Action/Adventure combo, much like Knights Of The Old Republic, but simplified, with several different playable characters but most of the action belonging to Jade, of course.

Have you played, KoTOR, TM3? If not, you're missing out on one most awesome experience.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-18-2004, 06:55 AM   #9
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

The follow-on would be pretty obvious given what you see right at the very end of the closing sequence...
Old 11-18-2004, 07:26 AM   #10

A seamless world of more wonderfullness.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

i would love a sequel......good games like BG&E always get overlooked by the mass market (just like adventure games)
Old 11-18-2004, 11:20 AM   #12
DAVE

That's a game I've been wanting to try but haven't gotten to lately. What's the story like?
Old 11-18-2004, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
That's a game I've been wanting to try but haven't gotten to lately. What's the story like?
You must play it now! We're not going to spoil anything for you
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 PM   #14
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Anyone for a tennis game, perchance?

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-18-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
You must play it now! We're not going to spoil anything for you
Well what kind of game is it then? I read a review once but it wasn't very clarifying on how the game actually is played.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #16
Cheeky Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to vansau Send a message via MSN to vansau Send a message via Yahoo to vansau

I just thought it was really cool for the fact that it had such a strong female protagonist. There really aren't enough of them out there. Plus, Jade's a photojournalist, which is my (hopefully) future career, which makes me adore her even more. BG&E 2 would be amazing... I just hope the tweak the ally A.I. a little more so they don't get stuck every now and then.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #17
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Well what kind of game is it then? I read a review once but it wasn't very clarifying on how the game actually is played.
It's kind of... a platform game minus the platforms. Like Mario 64. 3D, you walk around a big world, fighting when needs be, sometimes driving vehicles, sometimes playing mini-games...

You should get it even if you're not a fan of platform games though, I usually can't stand platformers, and I love this game. It's all about the characters and the story and the environment, although the gameplay too is very fun. It's just awesome in every way, basically
Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 AM   #18
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Well if I ever get to play the sequel of BG&E it would mean that Santa really exists..
And Jesus
and the saints
and all the prophets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM3
I would like to see Jade in an altered look of her previous clothing (there was an old piece of concept art of her they did). Perhaps a long coat and she carries two dai-jo sticks which lead to spectacular animations of her swinging around, jumping in fluid motions with her weapons and coat twirling and so forth.
I’ll stop for now! 8-)
Maybe you also want Carrie Ann Moss to do the voice-over then?

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 11-20-2004, 12:20 PM   #19
TM3

Hell no! I was referring to her next appearance to be something like this. Look at the first Jade concept!
http://beyondgoodevil.com/us/concept/BGE_CA_03.jpg

No Intrepid, I haven’t played KOTOR but I’m am curious and it seems to be a breath of fresh air from some of those goofy Japanese RPGs. I still need to finish The Longest Journey, In Cold Blood, and maybe I’ll get KOTOR for PC (of course I’ll be playing Septerra Core at the same time as well).
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS

Last edited by TM3; 11-20-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Quote:
It's kind of... a platform game minus the platforms. Like Mario 64. 3D, you walk around a big world, fighting when needs be, sometimes driving vehicles, sometimes playing mini-games...

You should get it even if you're not a fan of platform games though, I usually can't stand platformers, and I love this game. It's all about the characters and the story and the environment, although the gameplay too is very fun. It's just awesome in every way, basically
Erm....well, it looks like a platformer, but that's where it ends.

Let's see.....take a classic adventure game and rip out the stupidly placed puzzles and dumb hotspots...set a foundation with a solid story of conspiracy, war, and truths...revamp the whole thing in a lush, deceptively near cartoon-like 3D world complete with its own little history and multiracial populace...add simplified multi-genre influences like RPG level ups and currency systems, fantasy racing games, platformers, strategy games, adventures, stealth action, and environmental puzzles...mix in some non-linearity in how items like money and goods are acquired and options to spend time exploring, talking to people, and buying/getting things...throw in a camera and optional main quest to photograph as many planetary species as possible for money...and finally, spice it all up by adding a usable hovercraft/spaceship, pearls, hip music, goat/human orphans, martial arts combat, a table hockey game, K-bups, weird but cute flora and fauna, a lighthouse, a pig, green lipstick, and = VOILA!!