You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Funny, horrifying or good news? V.Smile, the first educational gaming console!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default Funny, horrifying or good news? V.Smile, the first educational gaming console!

V-Tech, makers of all those eudcational toys you may or may not have played in your youth, has created a gaming system for kids, that only plays educational games called V.Smile... :eek:

They play "Smartridges" which all seem to be 2D games and most of them plataformers where have to do such things as pick letters to spell word and find items with a certain shape or color (keep in mind this is intended for kids 8 years and younger)...

Is it good news? Yes, because now parents can buy their children a gaming systems where they are sure their kids can't play Rockstar or other violent games, unless they make "GTA: Learn the Ghetto Lingo", that is...
The TV ad consists of a mother constantly saying stuff like "You won't have desert if you don't play your games", "You can stay up late if you play your videogames"...

Is it funny? Yes... A Care Bears game?

It is horrifying? Yes... A Care Bears game? Oh, the humanity! The horror, the funky horror!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Edutainment is by far my least favourite genre.

I've never learned anything from video games in my life, and i hope to keep it that way.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Dessert

ooooh, when i was little i had a pc maths game that was totally the best! i'm sure little kids will love it if they get some big brand names on it
Old 11-14-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

When I was younger, I had really cool math games! I loved Math Blaster. I also had this math game where you are a guy in a school taking pictures of robots and trying to solve a mystery, I played that for hours. Then I had a submarine game called Operation: Neptune which was really fun, except when math problems came up. I enjoyed the game so much I worked through the math problems. As long as the underlying game is fun, I have no problem with edutainment.

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-14-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
rio
Custom User Title

I remember Math Blaster, that was great. My favorite were the Carmen Sandiego games, those were fun. I don't know about an entire console for edutainment though, theres already a wealth of titles for PC.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
SamNMax

Lego Island, though not very educational, was a great kid adventure game.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #7

I wish they would make fun adult edutainment games.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 11-14-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Lego Island, though not very educational, was a great kid adventure game.
Oh yeah. Got a copy of that for my niece and nephew (second-hand) Thought I'd better make sure the disc wasn't damaged before I sent it to them. 3 or 4 hours later......... well, I'm pretty sure the disc was OK.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuksilcious
Funny, horrifying or good news?
Funny, horrifying, AND good news!

Still, I dunno if I would get this for my kids (if I had kids). Electronic toys are damn expensive and very delicate, and kids today are so freaking spoiled. Already I constantly threaten my nephew with the guillotine if he doesn't put his Xbox games and equipment away right after he's done with them. The other week I yelled at him because he forgot to put away that Xbox steering wheel (it practically sprawled out on the family room floor just waiting to be stepped on and broken). You know what the bastard said? "What are you tawking about, it's only twenty bucks!" I almost strangled the imp! Instead I recomposed myself and replied: "Listen, lard brain, your dad worked his arse off to get you that steering wheel and I am personally telling him what you told me. Now put that freaking thing away or you'll be eating it for dinner!" (His parents thanked me later)

Kids are morons that way, you know. They need their little asses kicked into respecting their crap, we're talking about hundreds of dollars worth of crap here.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-14-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

I remember having a ball playing titles like Word Rescue and Mario Is Missing. Edutainment is very much encouraged but I don't think making a console solely for edutainment is very effiecient. It would be easier just to buy those educational titles for the PC.

Hmm, I think I might dig up my copy Word Rescue right now...
Old 11-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #11
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Edutainment is by far my least favourite genre.

I've never learned anything from video games in my life, and i hope to keep it that way.
Wrong. I bet you know much more about John Muir now
Old 11-15-2004, 08:18 AM   #12
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
Wrong. I bet you know much more about John Muir now
Ah, you got me with that one.

OK, so I guess in some extreme cases edutainment can be kinda fun, but that still doesn't justify the existence of that abomination pictured at the start of this thread.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHousequake
I remember having a ball playing titles like Word Rescue and Mario Is Missing.
Mario is Missing ROCKED. I had so much fun playing that game, but I never beat it. I'd gotten to somewhere like the second to last hallway of doors, and then the family computer was fried by a power surge. We got another computer of course, but I owned Mario is Missing on 5 1/2" floppies, (it was THAT long ago?!?) and our new computer had no such drive. I lost so many good games that way.... Like all my Super Solvers games.

Speaking of which, anyone ever play those? I'm talking about games like Midnight Rescue, Outnumbered, Treasure Mountain, Challenge of the Ancient Empires, Gizmos and Gadgets, etc. Those games were great edutainment. I learned a lot from Challenge of the Ancient Empires in particular.

I also had a great game called Operation Rescue, where you controlled a small submarine. That was a sweet game too. The point was to teach kids about marine biology, although it thankfully skimped on that in favor of the game part, where you got to shoot ink pellets at all manner of hideous sea creature.

And on the more recent gaming front, I've learned quite a bit about history and government from Age of Empires 2 and the Civilization series.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #14

Technically, I don't think this can be pegged the first edutainment console. I'm pretty sure there have been other systems which utilized the TV as the display mechanism and had swapable titles so to speak. I can name Pico off the top of my head, I think that matches the criteria.

Yeah yeah, I know I'm just being my usual pain in the ass. For what it's worth, I hope this one finds success.