You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What is your favorite genre? besides adventure games

View Poll Results: What is your favorite genre besides adventure games
First person shooters (FPS) 15 19.48%
Role playing games (RPG) 28 36.36%
Sports 3 3.90%
Real Time Strategy 4 5.19%
Turn Based Strategy 3 3.90%
Action-Adventures 9 11.69%
Flight Simulations 1 1.30%
Simulation games (Simgolf, roller coaster tycoon etc...) 2 2.60%
Platformer 3 3.90%
one-on-one Fighting (like Mortal kombat) 0 0%
Puzzle games (like Tetris et al) 3 3.90%
Other 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default What is your favorite genre? besides adventure games

Besides adventure games what kind of genres do people here like. Please do not choose other to mean adventure games.

Firefox rules

Last edited by SoccerDude28; 11-05-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:27 AM   #2

I chose FPS, but I dislike most FPS games But Deus Ex, Thief, NOLF etc. are among my favourite games. I would've probably chosen action-adventure if there were more, as BG&E ranks perhaps even higher on my list than Deus Ex.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
guybrush_guy

platformers, all the way..
i love rayman and ratchet and clank

Old 11-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #4

Anything I can get my hands on. I love RPGs, shooters, racing games, trading games, space games, IF-games, stealth games, side-scrolling shooters, economic simulations, real-time strategy games, turn-based strategy games, simulators, puzzle games, platformers, sports games, tactica.. well, okay, I'll stop. But if you give me a good game, chances are I'll like it, regardless of what genre it is.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I chose other, i.e. Worms. I don't care if that's not technically an actual genre, I like it more than anything else.

Other than Worms, I'll usually go for anything that has adventure'y type elements, so that may include action-adventure, FPS, or maype RPG (providing it's not...you know...too RPGish.)

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

I chose Real Time Strategy. There's nothing quite like building a huge army and then sending it marauding across the map leaving only death and destruction in it's wake MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Excuse me

I also like Turn Based Strategy (the X-Com games are a fave) but I find battles on larger maps (like the Cruise ships in Terror from the Deep) just take too darn long. Also a big RPG fan (adventure and battle, what a perfect combination )
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-05-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

I choose real time strategy. Warcraft 3 and its expansion pack are my all time favorites. I also love the C&C universe and can't wait for LOTR baddle for middle earth.

Firefox rules
Old 11-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #8

That's a tough question. I don't like specific genres (apart from adventures), I like specific games.
With that said, I guess I have a weak spot for good platform games (I can't mention Jak II enough) and fun strategy/simulations. Also, I like certain puzzle/action/sports games as well. The only genre I can't stand is RPG.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Besides adventure games what kind of genres do people here like. Please do not choose other to mean adventure games.

SuckerDud28

You didn't include 'Hybrids'!! I'm starting to really get into Action/RPGs, if that's even considered a genre - subgenre maybe? That is, Fable, KoTOR, Deus Ex... I love Action/Adventures too. In fact, I admit it, Adventure Games can get quite boring to me at times precisely because too much emphasis is put on the 'intellectual gameplay' of puzzles and dialogues. I go through periods where I get sick of too much action and killing aliens and sh!t, and then I get sick of too much 'combine wet noodle with sparkplug and hairball' crap. Meh!

< picks up a Katherine Anne Porter anthology and logs off >
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #10

Easily RPG's are my fav. genre (even over adventure).

I love putting a lot of time, heart and soul into an RPG -- especially one where I build my character up and have the freedom to go any path I choose (good, evil, the middle road).
Old 11-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #11
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

RPG's, All the way! I love big, open-ended worlds, and I get really involved in developing my characters.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #12

FPS. Since the beginning of the 90's.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #13

Voted "Other" because "Shoot 'em Up" wasn't listed as a seperate option.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #14
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

SuckerDud28

You didn't include 'Hybrids'!! I'm starting to really get into Action/RPGs, if that's even considered a genre - subgenre maybe? That is, Fable, KoTOR, Deus Ex... I love Action/Adventures too. In fact, I admit it, Adventure Games can get quite boring to me at times precisely because too much emphasis is put on the 'intellectual gameplay' of puzzles and dialogues. I go through periods where I get sick of too much action and killing aliens and sh!t, and then I get sick of too much 'combine wet noodle with sparkplug and hairball' crap. Meh!

< picks up a Katherine Anne Porter anthology and logs off >
KOTOR is considered by everyone a role playing game. It even uses the dice thingy to calculate the hit. I am not sure about Deus Ex but I also think it is considered an RPG. And so is fable I think. I really can't encorporate every combination out there because there are tons of hybrids. Like what is Freedom Force. It is strategy / RPG / action. What is Pirates!???? What is ICO???? what is spellforce (RTS/RPG). So that is why I had other to save my ass.

Firefox rules
Old 11-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by joostp
Voted "Other" because "Shoot 'em Up" wasn't listed as a seperate option.
What do you mean by shoot 'em up? Like DOOM 3 and Half Life 2? Those are called FPS

Firefox rules
Old 11-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
What do you mean by shoot 'em up? Like DOOM 3 and Half Life 2? Those are called FPS
I actually mean 2d (side-)scrolling shooters, like thunder force, r-type, 19xx, aleste, ikaruga, etc.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #17
merely human

Quote:
KOTOR is considered by everyone a role playing game. It even uses the dice thingy to calculate the hit. I am not sure about Deus Ex but I also think it is considered an RPG. And so is fable I think. I really can't encorporate every combination out there because there are tons of hybrids. Like what is Freedom Force. It is strategy / RPG / action. What is Pirates!???? What is ICO???? what is spellforce (RTS/RPG). So that is why I had other to save my ass.
That's why I voted for 'Other'. Still.....

SickoDweeb28

(this is fun!)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #18
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That's why I voted for 'Other'. Still.....

SickoDweeb28

(this is fun!)
Do you hate me?

Firefox rules
Old 11-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #19
merely human

((((SuperD00d28))))

Of course not! It's called 'love panning'.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #20

My favorite computer game genre is FPS that are story-driven. They are action games that have a story in them, and so far the ones I've played have been very exciting, action-packed, and intriguing. The games I've played so far are: No One Lives Forever 1 and 2, Tron 2.0, Half-Life (which I'm currently playing), and Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (it gives you the opportunity to play the hero of the game as a man or woman).

I've also tried action-adventure games like Prince of Persia-The Sands of Time, Beyond Good and Evil, and even the Splinter Cell series, which is the first game series I've ever played that totally focused on Stealth. I've tried Role-playing, and really enjoyed Deus Ex and Anachronox. I've even tried some 3rd person action games, such as Armed and Dangerous, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (unless you count those last two games as Action-Adventures). But, so far, I like FPS Games the best out of the adventure genre. Maybe someday, I'll try a FPS game that's all out balls-to-the wall action, like Painkiller, or Doom 3.