Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Evil Twin (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/5399-evil-twin.html)

Henke 11-04-2004 02:55 PM

Evil Twin

I found this game in its original package for a really good price today. But getting it to work is a true nightmare. I used the patch that are suppose to make it work on XP but no, no. After fighting with it for what feels like ages I finally got the bloody thing starting. But as soon as the game starts the keyboard goes totally dead. The screen says "Press start button" so I'm pressing every button I see and nothing happens. I restart the computer, the keyboard works fine so I start the game again. The same thing happens. I can't even press Ctrl+Alt+Del as soon as the game starts. :( :\

Have anyone here managed to get this game to work and is it good?

guybrush_guy 11-04-2004 03:05 PM

maybe you need a game pad?

Henke 11-04-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
maybe you need a game pad?

No, the keyboard controls are described in the manual.

guybrush_guy 11-04-2004 03:57 PM

did you try running the game in compatabilty mode?

Henke 11-04-2004 04:27 PM

Quote:

did you try running the game in compatabilty mode?

Compatabilty mode? :confused: Please explain more. :D

guybrush_guy 11-04-2004 05:29 PM

winXP has a compatibility mode built into the operating system, if you rite click on the executable (not the shortcut) go to properties. you will then see a tab for compatibility mode. select winME or 98. it changes some of the perimeter the game uses so it will run like it's on the OS you selected, it will not always work so don't get your hopes up to high.

MDMaster 11-05-2004 02:13 AM

Btw, did anyone notice any similarity between Evil Twin and Beyond Good & Evil? It wasn't done by the same team, but the graphics style in some places is downright the same and sometimes even the 'atmosphere' smells the same. Don't know maybe it's me, but then again it's Ubisoft.

Tramboi 11-05-2004 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDMaster
Btw, did anyone notice any similarity between Evil Twin and Beyond Good & Evil? It wasn't done by the same team, but the graphics style in some places is downright the same and sometimes even the 'atmosphere' smells the same. Don't know maybe it's me, but then again it's Ubisoft.

French touch, they call it :)
But too often it is detrimental to gameplay.

I was a PS2 coder on Evil Twin, but infortunately I can't help you with your PC technical problems, because I don't have the sources and everything anymore to recompile (and I don't know if it would be legal to release a patch)...
I would advise you to play it on PS2 or DreamCast (sorry :-/ )

Makes me remember of those days where we we're much more inexperienced than now... Since the death of the team, people have spread in lots of game companies of the nearly-dead french videogame scene... Darkworks (Cold Fear), Eugen (Act of War), Tiwak (Tork), Ubi and lots of others...

Aaaaah nostalgia :)

Henke 11-05-2004 06:59 AM

Quote:

winXP has a compatibility mode built into the operating system, if you rite click on the executable (not the shortcut) go to properties. you will then see a tab for compatibility mode. select winME or 98. it changes some of the perimeter the game uses so it will run like it's on the OS you selected, it will not always work so don't get your hopes up to high.

Thank you, I owe you one. I tried Win 98 but noo, I tried Win 95 but noo, I tried Win 2000 and yes, then it worked. Well the movies don't really flow but it works.

Quote:

The theme of Beyond Good and Evil was to cute for me (I haven't finished it because of that) but I think that Evil Twin's style is really cool so I don't think they are the same at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramboi
French touch, they call it

I was a PS2 coder on Evil Twin, but infortunately I can't help you with your PC technical problems, because I don't have the sources and everything anymore to recompile (and I don't know if it would be legal to release a patch)...
I would advise you to play it on PS2 or DreamCast (sorry :-/ )

Makes me remember of those days where we we're much more inexperienced than now... Since the death of the team, people have spread in lots of game companies of the nearly-dead french videogame scene... Darkworks (Cold Fear), Eugen (Act of War), Tiwak (Tork), Ubi and lots of others...

Aaaaah nostalgia

Didn't you guys made Jekyll and Hyde too? That's another game I want to get my hands on.

Tramboi 11-05-2004 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke
Didn't you guys made Jekyll and Hyde too? That's another game I want to get my hands on.

Yep, we did (and The Mask of Zorro too)... but it was a much lower-profile-quickly-done-game than Eviltwin that was published by Cryo (and DreamCatcher)...
You can usually find it in bargain bins at very low prices (like 2 euros).

Too bad I don't have the rights of the game, thus I can't tell you "Just download it and play it, developers don't care, In Utero is dead anyway" but I might be thinking it very hard ;-)

And too bad we couldn't do Evil twin 2 because it would have been a much muchbetter game, considering we wouldn't have had the same problems with our middleware which was in development during production...

Anyway it's not easy to find a well-paid job working on a good adventure game in this industry :)

Henke 11-05-2004 08:01 AM

Quote:

Yep, we did (and The Mask of Zorro too)... but it was a much lower-profile-quickly-done-game than Eviltwin that was published by Cryo (and DreamCatcher)...
You can usually find it in bargain bins at very low prices (like 2 euros).

Too bad I don't have the rights of the game, thus I can't tell you "Just download it and play it, developers don't care, In Utero is dead anyway" but I might be thinking it very hard ;-)

And too bad we couldn't do Evil twin 2 because it would have been a much muchbetter game, considering we wouldn't have had the same problems with our middleware which was in development during production...

Anyway it's not easy to find a well-paid job working on a good adventure game in this industry :)

What advice would you give those that are making their first game? Problems that you encountered that you know now from experience how to avoid and so on.

Tramboi 11-06-2004 02:06 AM

Most things I can think of are technical issues, so a bit off-topic :)

But I would say :
*stay flexible, most things will change, lots will be cut
*if you're a designer of some sorts, listen to your coders : they're not trying to restrain your creative vision, they're trying to make it real and functional
*don't work too much!

MDMaster 11-08-2004 07:19 AM

Quote:

French touch, they call it :)

That's what I was talking about! Last time I said that someone said that I was crazy or something, go tell them! :D

Anyway I always liked a bit of french touch in a game, it made it always a bit more 'refined' than american ones (german games are a different matter altogether). Although I confess I always hated Cryo and Microids' style in the old days. Do you happen to remember Cryo's Dreams to Reality?

Tramboi 11-08-2004 09:35 AM

Quote:

That's what I was talking about! Last time I said that someone said that I was crazy or something, go tell them! :D

Anyway I always liked a bit of french touch in a game, it made it always a bit more 'refined' than american ones (german games are a different matter altogether). Although I confess I always hated Cryo and Microids' style in the old days. Do you happen to remember Cryo's Dreams to Reality?

Honestly I don't. I even searched mobygames but I can't remember this game.
Was it any good?

I used to like older games from them, like Dune or KGB, though.
Lost Eden was very short but quite nice, too.

And the ancesters of Cryo were Exxos, who made the quite memorable (I think ;) ) Captain Blood and Kult (Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess), and even before Crafton & Xunk...

Ah these were the days, with a lots of creativity (and shitty games too!)

MDMaster 11-10-2004 02:07 AM

Hmm, well, Dreams to Reality was, I think, the worst game I ever bought in my entire life. And since I actually bought Fifa 97, that should mean something to you.

Anyway, I bought it along with other people because of one particular review on an italian magazine that gave it 90% and said 'DTR it's a very good and awe inspiring game, it's only flaws are bad clipping and italian overdubbing'. Well, so my hard earned cash went in that game, I played it like a couple of hours then never touched it again for 6 long years. It was a total piece of junk, loaded with bugs, a very stupid plot, a horrible combat system, forgettable ideas and so forth and so on.

Also most of my friends bought it because of that review, and they all heartily agree with me. They never did again spend money on an horrible game such as that. From that day on I tried never to touch a Cryo game again :D

And what about other Microids masterpieces like Trucks? Man... that also did manage to get a 89%, damn crazy.

Dark Veil 11-10-2004 01:01 PM

To Tramboi,

I must say I really enjoy that so called 'french touch' in games. (makes them all nice and weird in the atmosphere department.) Therefor I bought; Beyond Good and Evil, Evil Twin and Jeckyll and Hyde.
I really enjoyed those games but I can't seem to finish Jeckyll an Hyde eventhough I really want to. I'm stuck where I have to push that vampire into that pit of light in the middle of the 'arena'. I tried and tried but can't seem to do it. Could you perhaps give me some pointers (or a cheat,or save)
it would really help me out.

MDMaster 11-11-2004 02:25 AM

Pssst... what about posting in the Hints section? :D

Tramboi 11-11-2004 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Veil
I must say I really enjoy that so called 'french touch' in games. (makes them all nice and weird in the atmosphere department.) Therefor I bought; Beyond Good and Evil, Evil Twin and Jeckyll and Hyde.

Sadly, nowadays publishers don't like too much those kind of designs, seems they are less marketable than (wouldbe-)realistic or japanese stuff.
Now a game like BGE has it all : great stylish graphics and great gameplay...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Veil
I really enjoyed those games but I can't seem to finish Jeckyll an Hyde eventhough I really want to. I'm stuck where I have to push that vampire into that pit of light in the middle of the 'arena'. I tried and tried but can't seem to do it. Could you perhaps give me some pointers (or a cheat,or save)
it would really help me out.

I remember this boss, but not very well, but this walkthrough seems accurate to me
http://www.gamesover.com/walkthrough...alkthrough.htm

If you don't succeed with this, I could ask a friend of mine, just tell me so!

Dark Veil 11-12-2004 12:48 AM

MDMaster, yeah I thought about posting in the hints section but I really wanted to make sure Tramboi would see it since he worked on the game and all.

Thanks for the walkthrough Tramboi, however I tried that before and I just couldn't seem to do it. Perhaps I'll go back and try it again (for the millionth time). Otherwise could you perhaps ask that friend of yours if he may have a save or something, could be lifesaver.

It's a shame by the way that 'strange' (I prefer to call them unique) games don't sell that well since all people seem to want to buy is more of the same and that therefor publishers don't want to burn their fingers by publishing them.

For instance; Shiny made awesome games like MDK and Sacrifice but their ship didn't came in untill that licenced crap called Enter the Matrix.

Seems all I can do is keep buying the games that are 'different'

Like Evil Twin (phew, I stayed on topic, sort of) ;)